Joico K-Pak Reconstrx VaporIron

No Image

3.3

on 10/7/2011 5:48:00 PM

I DO NOT recommend this product! I got my mom one of these for mothers day. She didn't want to hurt my feelings so she didn't tell me the fuel you put into the flat iron was leaking, and didn't work right. (so she just stopped using the fuel) I purchased myself one and noticed it was doing the same thing. Apparently the fuel leaked into the iron and caused it to short out and when I plugged it in the next day sparks flew out it and it wouldn't come on. I only had it for a week!!!! I contacted the company, and have sent it back for a new one, but I believe they are defected and WAY over priced for what it is.

on 2/27/2011 11:14:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

The marketing re treating hair with this straightener is just a gimmick.
Washed and conditioned my hair using kerastase, which always leaves my hair feeling soft and looking shiny. Once dry, I then used the k pak reconstrx vapro iron exactly as per instructions.
While it did straighten the hair, it did not help with shine and actually undid the softness. My hair looked rough and stiff.
I tried using the irons after using joico k pak shampoo and conditioner and had exactly the same experience.
Would not recommend this styling tool. If you already have a ghd or similar just use a styling product recommended to protect hair, and you will get the same result.
As for the K pak irons providing conditionÖ.I donít believe it. It is always best to avoid using straightening irons. Wish I hadnít wasted my money on this styling tool.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I wanted to fall in love with this thing. I seriously believed this would change my life... my stylist had me so pumped up about it. I got it for a really great deal, she only charged me what she paid for it and she threw in a full size refill bottle of the fuel for free. Maybe my expectations were just too high. I felt like this pulled at my hair when i straightened. It was almost as if the vapor made my hair feel scratchy and coarse. The hair closest to my head would look fine.. shiny and bouncy.. but as i went down, the end would do this weird frizz thing that i've never experienced before. They looked..... splayed?? Strange. Such a disappointment :( I bought a GHD after giving this vaporiron about 6 months and am much much happier.

on 1/9/2011 1:38:00 AM

I got this iron for a xmas present and overall, I really love it! I've had the same chi for several years so that is all that I have to compare it to, but this iron makes my hair feel really smooth and gives a little more body. It also feels less damaging as I straighten it. The only reason I gave 4 stars instead of 5 is because I still can't tell if I'm going to have less breakage. Since my hair is thin and slightly damaged, I am really hoping this iron helps repair or at least prevent any further damage. While it feels less damaging when I straighten it, I still can't tell if it actually is..I still have a few little flyaway broken hair pieces after I straighten. But, I still love this iron and the vapor fuel you use isn't too much of a hassle and worth it. Could be a little cheaper, but couldn't all flat irons?

on 10/13/2010 12:08:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I am a professional hairstylist/makeup artist. I work with a Joico educator in my salon. She first got to test these out before they were available for retail, I tried it and I LOVED IT. It makes my hair so shiny and beautiful. My hair is normally frizzy after I wash it, but straight and long, and it completely transformed it. I don't mind straightening it now, knowing I'm reconstructing it at the same time. I go through the vapour fuel really quickly when I have to use the higher temperature on clients, but other than that, no complaints. If you're going to be flat ironing your hair, you should really try this out rather than frying your hair with other flat irons.

Okay here is my review
3A/3B thin/medium density naturally curly hair
1) Great packaging,
2) Nice DVD video
3) I rcvd a free bottle of the K-pak color oil ;)

Okay here is my first review. I will update in a month
I used a SEDU flat iron one side of my head and the Joico Vapor Iron on the other
Mayor difference the Joice side my hair was fuller/shinny and then ends were not fried.
Sedu side much straighter/thin no body but really straight. My end looked fried
I used heat protector on the SEdu side nothing on the Joico side

Based on that I am sticking with the JOico Vapor iron. In a month
I will see how my hair responds. I flat iron my hair every other day due to working out.

on 3/30/2010 5:19:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

I love this! I'm a professional stylist and have tried every product imaginable and I'm really really pleased. I have used it twice a week (that's how often I wash my hair medium density coarse hair) for a month and the usual damage I get is not there. I had weaned myself off of flat irons but this brought me back. I leave this iron at home and use my chi on the clients :) I do not need a thermal protectant either.

Hey, I just got this iron and I am pretty pleased. Please read my review with before and after pics at www.sashacoco.onsugar.com

on 2/21/2010 10:45:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

OK so here is my review for the new K-Pak flat iron, that I used for the first time last night.
I bought it from rigona.com for $165 + shipping, but they might be cheaper on eBay.
My hair: almost midback, color treated, thin and heat damaged. I had been using the GHD original, which performs impeccably, but makes the ends of my hair bend and break.
The iron came with a small bottle for Fuel. I used about half the reservoir to do my whole head of hair, but keep in mind that I was still trying to figure out heat settings and how to use it, so my straightening took longer than it normally does.
Compared to the GHD, this iron is bulkier, longer and the plates are 1.25". It is however very light and easy to handle.
Products I used in my hair before flat ironing: Bonacure Sealed Ends on the ends and KS NT while hair was damp, blow dried, then sprayed some Coppola Thermo-Shine and flat ironed.
I set the heat to about 340F. I had first tried the 300F setting, but my hair wouldn't straighten properly. This setting seems to work, but next time I will go to the 352F setting to get even straighter hair.
Once you press on the "Vapor ON" button, the iron starts making a sound similar to the clothing iron. However the vapor stream is very discrete, and you can get close to the roots with no problem.
As for the results...they are very similar to the GHD. My hair was not as stick straight as it gets with the GHD, but remember, I used a lower heat setting. I'm sure both irons would perform identically at the same heat. My hair came out looking great, straight, but with more body, more natural and swingier than with the GHD. Still silky and shiny though. I went for a night of dancing and my hair held up well, didn't get wavy.
Upon waking up, I see a slight kink where the ponytail holder was overnight, whereas my GHD kept my hair poker straight until the next wash, but it's a natural looking kink that doesn't even have to be fixed.
My ends look nice and sealed and moisturized, I cannot see any new damage.
Trying to think of the cons of this iron...can't come up with much. I cannot talk about how damaging the iron is in the long run, having only used it once, but I will update this review the moment I see any.
The one thing I didn't quite like is that the outside of the plates gets very hot, my thumb was a little sore, I didn't have this problem with my other irons. Also, the heat dial and on/off buttons are a bit hard to reach, and the on/off button for the Fuel could be sturdier and placed in a different position (I almost turned it off while using the iron), but these are small inconveniences, provided the iron works well and doesn't damage hair as much as others do.
Bottom line, I am glad I purchased this iron :D
EDIT March 10 - so I have used it 3 times already, and I can say I love this iron. I finally discovered my optimal heat setting - 352F, which is lower than what I used to have with my GHD. Hair doesn't stay as straight the next day, as it did with the GHD, but on the other hand, which is most important, I haven't seen as many broken hairs (white dots) as I used to see with the GHD. Still didn't need to refill the reservoir. so I guess one reservoir could last me 4-5 ironings.
EDIT March 27 - I decided to return this iron. NOT because it did anything wrong, but I know that my hair doesn't do well with steam and I got it in my head that it may be damaging it. I felt my ends got drier than normal, but to be fair, it may have been the Redken Anti-Snap I've been using lately. Also, the thought of having to order the refills online all the time and paying shipping helped my decision to return it. I came to the conclusion that buying a Remington Shine Therapy was a better option for me, but this in no way means that the K=Pak iron is bad. It is for sure overpriced and overhyped, but it's a good product.

Popular Hair Styling Tools