Tomas Tan Perfect Self-Tanning Lotion

No Image

4.1

The longer you leave it on the longer it will stay on after you wash it off. It doesn't have much of a scent which is nice for me. Sallys beauty supply usually puts it on sale in the springtime so I stock up. It's way cheaper than Fake Bake and no orange tint.

on 3/17/2015 11:42:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I feel like I've won the lottery by finding this self tanner! i bought it at sally beauty and while $20 seems expensive, it is well worth it since you get so many uses out of one bottle and it works so much better than jergens and other cheap tanners. It has a brown color guard so you can see where you're putting it and instantly gives you beautiful darker skin. the color is unbelievably natural. I use this on my face and neck as well and the results are amazing.the jergens gradual tanner made me break out on my face neck and back however this lotion does not! The smell is neutral enough, I'm not offended by it nor do i love it but i do love that it doesn't have that self tanner ick smell. The brown color guard washes off when you shower and you're left with beautiful, natural looking tanned skin. I've found my holy grail!!

on 2/14/2015 9:20:00 AM

I have used this tanner several times over the past few years, and suggested it to friends. The color looks great on all skintones. It dries quickly for me, no issues there. The scent however, is less than appealing.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This product is tricky. Before you buy, know what you're doing:

1. Prior to application, you must shower, shave, exfoliate deeply. This allows a smooth, clean surface for the product to adhere to.
2. Prior to application, following your shower, you must moisturize every area you intend to apply product. Use something that will quench your skin. I use Jergens Skin Firming.
3. You must be prepared to feel gross and sticky at least 2 hours following application. I.e. you can't put on jeans and a tight fitting T or lie down in bed. I generally do this on my day off so I have plenty of time to lounge about the house doing whatever I do. I put on a loose shirt or just walk around in underwear.
4. This stains clothing
5. It goes on initially kind of dark orangeish brownish. This is a color guard, so you know where you're applying. This WILL rinse off, not the tan itself, after you've let it set.
6. It takes minimum 4 hours to set. I do this over night. I apply 4 hours prior to bed time so I'm dry enough to sleep comfortably then rinse in the a.m. before work or whatever i've planned.
7. For a deeper tan faster, I apply Jergens Self Tanning lotion (im fair skinned but use the one for med-dark skin tones) as my moisturizer and then the Tomas on top. It really enhances the tan esp when left to set over night.

I was on a self tan binge for a while and went on Amazon buying the top rated products (within budget). I ordered Fake Bake, Sun Labs, and actually found Tomas at Sallys for 12.79. The package, btw, includes directions and gloves (please use them!!!)

I find that this product it slightly difficult to rub in, sometimes if I'm using my hair dye gloves instead (black ones for sallys) they kind of spread the product around and it turns into little balls not absorbing into skin. I think recently they reformulated the product which is never good, if you ask me.

All in all, if you have patience and time, it comes out beautifully. Not orange even on my fair skin and fades pretty evenly. It lasts about 4 days for me but keep in mind I do NOT moisturize every day, as I should, and I work out everyday so I sweat which breaks it down.

As mentioned before, I bought all those other tanning products and hated them despite good reviews. Esp Sun Labs. very disappointing. Tomas is great value for the price though and I buy it at least once a month :)

on 5/30/2014 11:31:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I checked out the reviews for this after I bought it just for any tips for using it. I had been contemplating trying self tanners again after not using them for about 5 years and had actually decided eh it's not worth it since I was never really thrilled with any of the previous one's I tried..but I found a gift card I forgot I had (yes!!) and for some reason decided to give this one a try. I am so glad I did! I knew from using self tanners in the past that exfoliating is critical to your sucess so I scrubbed away and also shaved. I did think it took awhile to dry on my first application (like honestly even after several hours it wasn't dry) but when I applied the second time at night when it was much less humid it dried in like half an hour..so maybe the weather had something to do with it? And the color was perfect for me! I would describe my skin tone as lighter olive and this made me such a beautiful golden color. And as for the scent I could barely detect any odor and I will never for the stink of sunless tanners from before..nasty..one reason I quit using them. So for me I'm super satisfied and will use this again.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

The color? Amazing. I realize that self-tanners develop differently on different people but on me, this is a slightly darker version of the tan that I get from St Tropez Mousse. My issue with St Tropez is that I can only use it for a few weeks before the tan stops developing so I'm left hunting down something else for the rest of every summer. Xen-Tan was slightly orange on me, Faux Tan is pure orange yet sadly didn't fade out as quickly as Xen-Tan but on me but St Tropez is perfect and absolutely no hint of orange on my fair-medium skin with pink undertones.
The formula, unlike the mousse that I love so much, is really thick. REALLY THICK. The first time I applied it, I used the gloves that came with it and it took a bit to smooth out the streaks from the thickness of this product but it didn't develop streaky at all. The next time I used my tanning mit from St Tropez, a bit better but I found the velvet-y mit from Xen-Tan to work the best. It smells like chemicals, it's pretty bad, particularly in the bottle, but doesn't linger, my husband asked me to run out in town with him right after I had applied it and I was smelling my arms in the car...nothing. A few people mentioned that this doesn't dry quickly on them. On me, it dries almost immediately, as fast as St Tropez......this summer I'll bounce between this and St Tropez but I'm sure I'll try loads of others as well. Great price, I don't remember what I paid but I believe if was just over $12.00 USD for 5 ounces. It's worth a try, no tanner works on every single person but Sally's has a great return policy if it doesn't work out for you. Just one suggestion...use the e.l.f powder brush and lotion (I use cetaphil cream) to do your hands/feet/ankles so it blends well and doesn't get to dark as it is so thick.

on 10/3/2011 11:32:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I bought some at Sally's Beauty Supply and was happy with the color. I was concerned after reading it takes a long time to dry, but it dried super fast for me, though I didn't take a shower first as recommended.
I have fair skin that tans somewhat easy. This tanning lotion looks natural on me, and on my face. I'm happy with it and will probably buy it again.

on 8/19/2011 12:44:00 AM

I really, really wanted to like this product after reading the reviews on Sally's website. I've always used gradual self tanning lotions and thought this formula was pretty neat, with instant tint so you can see what you're doing. Maybe I'm just lazy, but the process just was not worth the lackluster results. It came with these gloves that you use to rub in a very dark brown, liquidy lotion (it smelled terrible, and normally I'm not very sensitive to self tanner smells). Make sure to shave and exfoliate REALLY well prior to applying because it patches and gathers in rough spots easily. Also wear an old robe or something because, like another reviewer pointed out, it takes FOREVER to dry and will probably stain clothing - don't put this on like, right before a night out lol. After applying two coats I looked kind of jaundiced, not brown. Very disappointed, I paid $15 for this product when I've paid $7 for better results. I guess it just did not work well with my skin tone.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

Why the reviews on the Sally Beauty website are so good for this self tanner is beyond me. What really surprized me was it's claim it's fast drying, because it's far from it!

The formula feels like it's vaseline based & does not go on smoothly or blend well at all. I've worked in the tanning industry for years, so I know what I'm doing when it comes to applying self tanners. It's truly a greasy mess when you apply it.

The bottle is nice & you get quite a bit of product for your money, but that's all I can say that's positive about it. The color is so-so; a cross between orange-ish & gold, not a true tan color at all. Coming from someone with an olive skin tone, orange is not the color I was looking for.

Having been spoiled by XenTan products--which are fantastic, I dont know why I tried something like Toma's. It will be going back to Sally's asap.

on 4/15/2011 1:33:00 PM

The most natural looking and even tan I have ever gotten. I have exteremly pale skin with freckles and even the prieciest tanners looked orange on me. Not this one!! I found my self tanner for life. It also last long and when it comes off, it comes off evenly...LOVE IT!!Give it a try, be tan!!