CHANEL Rouge Coco in Mademoiselle 05 [DISCONTINUED]

CHANEL Rouge Coco in Mademoiselle 05 [DISCONTINUED]

4.3

on 7/15/2018 5:20:00 PM

The colour is NOT discontinued, the RC line formula has been updated, that's all.

on 5/28/2018 1:53:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

If you ever had to own one lipstick from Chanel, let it be Mademoiselle.

There's a bit of confusion about this lipstick because there's a 2010 version that was discontinued. The one I own was relaunched in a different formulation under the ROUGE COCO Ultra Hydrating Lip Color line back in 2015 as 434 Mademoiselle. The lady at the counter informed me that this version is more creamy, sheerer, and more hydrating.

I wanted to invest in a luxury lipstick to commemorate graduating university, and hence, entering adulthood. What I had in mind going to the Chanel counter was a classic and sophisticated everyday shade that could be worn regardless of the occasion and season, at any age. I wanted something that I could see myself wearing 20 years from now, and withstand the test of ever-changing tastes.

Mademoiselle very much fits all those demands - it's a perfect MLBB shade for when you want to feel a little more polished than bare. It even looks good without any other makeup accompanying it. Shadewise, it's very similar to NARS' Rikigien, but more mauve, and Rikigien only comes in a crayon form that I'm not a fan of. I honestly believe this shade can suit both warm-toned and cool-toned skin. Texturewise, it's very similar to MAC's cremesheen formula but not as glossy in look and feel. I also prefer the high-end, black and gold casing of the Chanel lipstick over the rounded bullet of MAC lipsticks. The wear time is average - about 2-3 hours, which would be a huge deal-breaker for many women, but I actually like reapplying this lipstick as a celebration of beauty and admiration of its well-designed artfulness.

At $40 after tax, I'm aware that it's a lot to spend on a lipstick - but I'd rather buy one, extremely versatile and dependable $40 lipstick than four $10 throwaway lipsticks that I'd wear for a month or so until I jump on the bandwagon of the "next best thing".

on 1/14/2018 2:09:00 PM

I bought this lipstick recently so I'm surprised to see it described as "discontinued" - I know it was reformulated about two years ago, so perhaps the description refers to the pre-reformulation version? Anyways, I love this lipstick - Mademoiselle is a browned-rose, so it's an elegant, classic shade which is very flattering. It's definitely one of my favourites.

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

This must be the worst lipstick I have ever bought. I thought the color looked nice, but this has absolute zero staying power. It starts out looking nice and after one hour it starts disappearing on me. It starts looking sheer and I see corners missing, then I'm left with just my lip liner, and that is without any food or water! This is ridiculous, I am a lipstick lover and tried them almost all, but this one is a joke. And the smell is not pleasant either. I will rather find a similar color in MAC, even the creamy ones last better and I love vanilla.

I love the color, I love the texture, doesn't dry my lips at all. It doesn't last very long, but I am very good at eating the lipstick :). And anyway it lasts much longer than I would expect from such a creamy lipstick. It is shinier than I expected, but it doesn't bother me.
Great product!

on 8/8/2016 7:35:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I bought this a year or so ago, so if they've reformulated, this may not apply:

I watch a lot of TV, and I pay attention to characters that remind me of me--over 55, wanting to look polished but not glam, and I love it when MUAs working with those ladies share product info. So...this one character I follow is late 50s, professional authority figure in a male-centric environment. Many tweets asking "what IS that lippie??" revealed that it was Mademoiselle.
(FYI, I'm not a silly fangirl--this actress has the fair, fair coloring and medium brown hair like I do so I figure there's some useful info to be had there).

Mademoiselle wasn't very eye-catching at the Chanel counter, which is kind of the point. It's a soft mauvey-rose that almost edges into a light brick but doesn't quite get there. It shows a little darker than MLBB, which on me is a good thing. My teeth look whiter even though I don't detect any blue undertones. The formula is pretty hydrating--I love glosses but it's moisturizing enough so I don't feel like I needed. The texture makes me not think about my lipstick, which is ideal, IMHO. Professional and not fussy.

It does transfer quite a bit onto glasses and cups; it fades evenly with wear. And the color and formula is such that applying without a mirror is very workable.

Cons are it is pricy, in the $30 range, and the packaging, while a very elegant Chanel look, has a bottom label that wears off the lettering after a year of being carried around, making it tricky if you've got more than one of this line.

A recent acquisition.....My fave lipstick I own! I've recently changed my look revamped it some to look more age appropriate (I'm almost 40), Chanel has been a huge help w that. I traded in MAC St Germain brights for a more conservative look. St Germain is fresh to death but im a sucker for MLBB shades & also browns/nudes. Btw I've got 2 Chanel quads, 1 quint, 2 illusion d'Ombre e/s, mascara, 2 lipliners, 12 lipglosses, & 4 lipsticks by Chanel which helps my new "look" tremendously. I've found that Clinique Beauty, Nars Dolce Vita & even MAC Brick o La are very similar but there is something special about this lipstick. I like to wear this lipstick w some Chanel e/s & maybe a bit of brown eyeliner (still working on my tight lining game), mascara, brows all the rest & this lipstick is AWESOME! There are no words. I agreed w a reviewer way down below who said it was like crossing a threshold going from DS to MAC well it's another threshold into luxury makeup "Chanel" I paid $37USD for this lipstick. Yanno what is annoying me to no end is I got just an iPhone no computer & Chanel.com the orders always cack so I end up calling them. And Dillards makes u have the desktop version to browse Chanel nothing I can do there same w Sephora they carry some of the perfumes too I think but I can't display it again coz a janky desktop is necessary to view! Ugh! They are missing out on selling me something, my main source of Chanel is Macys.com but anyways this lipstick is lif altering a total game changer. I've never seen the print ad for this w Vanessa Paradis but if you want grown lady makeup get Chanel. My look is evolving quick coz Chanel colors are never garish always classy. This lipstick on me looks like a brick muted red. I love it! A bit of brownish added to the mix. I'm not sure what lipliner suits this lipstick. It's very long lasting finish satiny comfortable on the lips. If you're only able to afford ONE Chanel product I suggest this little gem! It has served me very well. It can be a day color or turn up the smokey eye dial & it will take you into night looks. I can't help feeling Parisian chic when I wear Chanel. And I love having a bit of luxury in my life who doesn't?! The lipstick's packaging is TDF & the satisfying Chanel "click" makes my heart glad & sing. YOLO!! My favest lipstick I'm going to def repurchase more colors & if this got lost I'd replace it immediately I'm beginning to think I may need a backup! Eek $37USD is a lot of money to me. My possessions are come by very dearly for me so when I spend $40 bucks I have to be satisfied & happy w it or it'd go back! I got this on a blind buy, told my father to buy it for me for Valentine's Day which he gave me this lipstick as an early gift I was so beyond thrilled hard to describe the joy. This lipstick would suit any coloring/complexions. A solid quality product.

on 1/1/2016 9:52:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I finally graduated to Chanel lipstick today, for the 1st time in my 39 years! Put it off for a long time, using any and all other brands :) The Chanel beauty expert suggested this color, as I showed her a Bobbi Brown color I'm close to finishing up. I'm in love! I can finally say my hunt for and search for the perfect l/s is over. I get tired of stockpiling colors, brands and formulas that don't really work on me and feel that I've wasted too much money. Better to spend 40 USD on a Chanel l/s (gorgeous product and packaging) vs. 40 dollars on a collection of lippies that I will barely use! ABOUT this l/s, the other reviewers perfectly describe it. It is a very worthwhile splurge if you love lipstick, want a hydrating/not too glossy/long-lasting elegant l/s.

on 12/22/2015 2:23:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I love this lipstick. It's my first Chanel lipstick, as I normally wear Chanel gloss. However, this lipstick is such a nice universal color, that seems like it would be flattering on lots of skin tones. It's very moisturizing and I didn't find that it dried my lips out at all. It's not a matte lipstick, thankfully, as I hate matte lipstick on me. I will definitely repurchase this!

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Chanel Mademoiselle has been reformulated!!!! I am so sad/disappointed :( This rating is for the original formula.

So the entire rouge coco line has been overhauled. The formula is supposedly longer lasting and has more shine. If you are expecting to get the color from the original ads with Vanessa Paradis, I'm sorry to say that you will have to look elsewhere. The new version is more muted brown beige. Nothing like the original.

I know I can always look for a dupe of the original but I was really hoping to repurchase mademoiselle as it was the one color I wore daily during my college days. It makes me nostalgic. The original shade was an extremely versatile and flattering rosy brown lippie with reddish undertones that I could wear day and night. It had a timeless feel to it and complemented my olive skin.

I'm going to look for dupes or try to hunt down the original. Chanel has made a serious error with this one! Ah well. But still, I'll always have fond memories of mademoiselle.