CHANEL Rouge Coco in Gabrielle 19

Filtered by hair type : Straight
CHANEL Rouge Coco in Gabrielle 19

4.4

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

By far one of the most moisturizing lipsticks out there, great pigmentation, the shine of the finish is brilliant. Packaging is immaculate. Pricey but it's worth every cent.

on 9/19/2013 4:35:00 PM

Such a pretty lipstick! I love the look of red lips but often find the formulas too drying. Russian Red, for instance, is lovely and I can wear it but only if I use a lip balm underneath, and even then, after a few hours I know my lips will be drier. Not so, with this! I usually put a dab of balm underneath anyway (it's a habit now) but this is one of the only red lippies I've ever used that I could re-apply without any balm and still have soft lips at the end of the evening.

The color pulls cherry red on me, a little bit pink but not garishly so. I also don't find it warm or cool, it's neutral to my eye. It's also bright but there's nothing harsh about it, it somehow manages to be soft as well. It has a little bit of pearliness or iridescence to it, as well, which only makes it more flattering.

It's funny, my mom actually purchased this originally and then decided it didn't agree with her skin tone, so she gave it to me. She's more NC25-30 (if I had to guess) and prefers lipsticks with more depth, especially brick reds and deeper berry shades and shades with more brown in them, i.e. shades that look hideous on me lol. But this works really nicely for my NC15 skin, not harsh or garish at all, which I sometimes have a problem with when wearing red lipstick.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

A Classic!

on 10/7/2010 3:33:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

LOVE! This lipstick is now my new favourite red lippy (after my Chanel Rouge Allure Laque in Dragon). Chanel reds surpass any other red lipstick out there IMO, and the fact that it's Chanel makes a woman feel elegant wearing a drop dead gorgeous red like this. The consistency is creamy and very smooth on application and has great colour payoff too. I would never want this to run out, but if and once it does I'll definitely repurchase.

on 2/14/2010 9:20:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Well, Rouge Coco hasn't officially launched yet, although it is already selling in Canada at The Bay. Being a red-Chanel-lipstick addict, I just simply had to check it out yesterday and I walked away with a tube in #19 - Gabrielle.
Since this is the first review for Rouge Coco formula, let me try and address all aspects of this product, the best I can :-)
According to the SA, this range is a replacement for the Hydrabase line that is being discontinued.
1) Format/Packaging - Visually, the case looks very similar to the Hydrabase case, one main difference being that it is no longer made from plastic, but from metal. It adds to the weight (albeit slightly), but also to the luxe feel.
2) Texture - A lot more creamier than Hydrabase, which (at least for me) isn't necessarily super positive, especially with red colours (I just find that creamy reds tend to bleed a lot more). It also seems to disappear from my lips a bit faster than RA or Hydrabase. Compared to RA, it is not as lightweight as RAs are, but it is lighter weight than Hydrabase. Hope I am making sense here. From what I could tell while I was testing all the colours at the counter, texture and creaminess will also depend a lot on the colour you choose. Did I sense any super/extra hydration? Hmm... Hard to say after just one day of wearing, but when I applied it, there was a smoothness to my lips (which disappeared when the lippy wore off, so I think it is superficial). At the first wear, I feel like I prefer RA texture to this, but I will have to update if that changes. The lippy definitely made my lips look a bit plumper from creaminess, hydration and silicones that fill in the lines. But, IMHO, you will definitely have to use a lip liner with this colour (even a clear one) as it tends to bleed.
3) Colour - Well, if you love reds like I do (although I do like good nudes/neutrals, too), I think you will love Gabrielle. If you used Hydrabase Fire before, you will love this colour especially. It is very similar to Fire, although just a tiny bit more warm (I actually prefer Gabrielle in colour to Fire). Because it is creamier, it looks slightly deeper when you test them side by side on your hand, but it really isn't. I tried taking a photo of the two side by side, but my camera battery died, so I will have to do that some other time. On my lips, the difference is negligible, and noticeable only as the lipstick start to wear off - with Fire I start noticing some bluish undertones (even though it is a fairly true red), while I am not seeing any bluish undertones with Gabrielle.
4) Price - OUCH!!!!! I know you'd be hard pressed to find a dept. store lippy for less than $30 these days, and I thought RA at $35 is a luxury in itself, when this baby rolls out at $38 CAD!!!!! With taxes, about $42 CAD. I know Guerlain's "bullet" lippy is even more expensive than that, but honestly, I think anything over $30 is just waaaay too much. While I didn't have any issues dishing out $35 for RA, not sure I feel same for Rouge Coco as aside from the GORGEOUS range of colours, I can't say the formula is so groundbreaking as RA was, for example, when it came out.
But, as I said, the colour range is gorgeous and I already set my eyes on a nice natural daytime colour in Mademoiselle (which is the colour Vanessa Paradis wears in the ad). It is possible that I will appreaciate the creaminess a bit more with that colour as it is more of natural/nudey rose. I will update!
Final score - 4 lippies. I like the colour very much and the texture is good enough, so I do want to own it in my red lipstick collection. If you like creamier lipsticks and don't mind shelling out $$$$, you will definitely want to check out these babies. The colours are to die for, I think I liked at least half of the colours I saw.