CHANEL Rouge Coco in Gabrielle 19

Filtered by skin type : Normal
CHANEL Rouge Coco in Gabrielle 19

4.4

I saw this on a YouTube tutorial and I fell in love at first sight! The rich and vibrant red caught my eye as well as the name.. "Gabrielle 19" So classic since "Coco Chanel" 's real name is Gabrielle. Immediately, I went to Nordstrom to try on this color. considering it's nearly $40 for ONE lipstick, I did not plan on purchasing. I sampled the lipstick and WOW! I couldn't stop staring in the mirror. It went on very smooth, and the color was so rich. It is a beautiful bright red! If you look closely it has a slight iridescent sparkle in it too! Pretty matte finish, which I love...not a fan of glossy looking lips. This is true French quality product. I love love love it! I would TOTALLY recommend it to a friend. Although, I want to be the only girl in the world who wears it! I left the store feeling like a million bucks!

I started off with a red lipgloss from Chanel, earned my red lipstick wearing stripes and have now graduated onto this gorgeous lipstick. It's a sophisticated red which looks amazing with a winged eye and plenty of black eyeliner on the waterline.

I have had no problems with bleeding so haven't had to use a lipliner with it. I do know that it has good staying power and makes me feel like a minx though! Haven't got the confidence to wear it during the day.....yet. Love it.

on 1/10/2013 1:59:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Truly a HG buy for me! It's a stunning red which looks perfect on my Chanel B60 skin. It's moisturising, richly pigmented and never fails to draw compilments. Definetly my go-to red for day or night. Can be worn alone or for days where perfection is warranted I'll apply it with a lip brush over lip-liner. Highly recommended.

on 12/24/2012 12:38:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

Looks good, perfect red for most skin tones. But it is a red so hard to keep it looking good for long time, many bathroom trips for touch ups.

Ugh. This slips right off my lips, and makes my teeth look yellow. It's absolutely lovely in the tube, but has no staying power. Worse, it leaves a ring when it fades. Don't be seduced by the pretty color! It doesn't stay true and the texture is just terrible.
Waste of $36. Grumble.

on 8/15/2010 1:39:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

YES. I FINALLY BOUGHT THE ROUGE COCO LIPSTICK CALLED GABRIELLE. THE REAL NAME OF COCO CHANEL.
AFTER A LONG THINKING, IF I SHOULD TAKE THE RED ONE OR A MORE NUDE LIPSTICK I PICKED UP THIS ONE. TO ME IT SEEMED A LOT MORE RED. WHEN IT GETS ON THE LIPS IT HAS SPARKLES IN, IT GOES OVER TO A WEIRD COMBINATION OF ORANGE, YELLOW AND PINK. WEIRD, HUH?
BUT IT'S CHANEL. AND A CHANEL-BUY IS NEVER A WASTED ONE.
I ALWAYS FOUND CHANEL LIPSTICKS AMAZING AND USEFUL, BUT THE PRICE IS JUST WAAY TO MUCH. SERIOUSLY. DDK235 (28)($42)(32EUROS). FOR A LIPSTICK THAT ISN'T "THE RIGHT" DEEP-RED COLOR.
THAT'S WHY I REALLY HATE SHOPPING LIP-PRODUCTS, AND AT THE COUNTER YOU THINK IT'S THAT COLOR IT SAYS THERE, COME HOME, AND IT'S A TOTALLY DIFFERENT SHADE.
THE ROUGE COCO COLLECTION DIDN'T CONTAIN ANY REDISH SHADES. AND NO. 19, WAS THE ONLY ONE WHO SPOKE TO ME. SEE, I DON'T WEAR NUDE COLORS, I NEED RED - DARKER IS BETTER. BUT SERIOUSLY I'M A HUGE LOVER OF RED LIPSTICKS, SO NOW I JUST HAVE A SHADE THAT GOES TO THE ORANGE SIDE - SCOR!
THE COLLECTION: IT'S A COLLECTION CREATED BY PETER PHILLIPS, WHO GAVE NAMES TO THESE LIPSTICKS AFTER OUR BELOVED COCO CHANEL'S LIFE AND EVERYTHING IN IT AND AROUND IT.
ALSO, THE LIPSTICKS HAVE A SMELL. A REALLY POWERFULL SMELL OF ROSES. SO IF YOU'RE NOT TO SUCH SMELLS, THEN YOU'LL BE A BIT ANNOYED BY THIS LIPPIE.
ALL IN ALL: A GREAT COLLECTION. NO MISSES.

on 5/21/2010 5:42:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Chanel released this lipstick line earlier this year on February 25th to replace the Hydrabase lipsticks. I only have one of them right know, but plan to buy a lot more based on the quality I've experienced with the one I already have. #19 Gabrielle is what I call a true red, though it leans a bit towards blue-based reds, so cool toned ladies might want to check it out. However it isn't overwhelming on my warm skin, and I find it suitable to wear at day time. Though it looks like a creamy, glossy lipstick on pics taken by other reviewers, this lipstick actually has golden sparkles in it (bet you didn't know that). And this isn't the kind of shimmer you'd find in a kid's makeup kit. It the kind of subtle shimmer that Chanel incorporates so perfectly into their most wanted beauty products; it's the kind that is sophisticated, barely there, but that adds an alluring twist to this already wonderful product. I would recommend trying it out first, though, because strong colors like this can really overwhelm a person's skin tone if they aren't careful.

on 2/14/2010 9:20:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Well, Rouge Coco hasn't officially launched yet, although it is already selling in Canada at The Bay. Being a red-Chanel-lipstick addict, I just simply had to check it out yesterday and I walked away with a tube in #19 - Gabrielle.
Since this is the first review for Rouge Coco formula, let me try and address all aspects of this product, the best I can :-)
According to the SA, this range is a replacement for the Hydrabase line that is being discontinued.
1) Format/Packaging - Visually, the case looks very similar to the Hydrabase case, one main difference being that it is no longer made from plastic, but from metal. It adds to the weight (albeit slightly), but also to the luxe feel.
2) Texture - A lot more creamier than Hydrabase, which (at least for me) isn't necessarily super positive, especially with red colours (I just find that creamy reds tend to bleed a lot more). It also seems to disappear from my lips a bit faster than RA or Hydrabase. Compared to RA, it is not as lightweight as RAs are, but it is lighter weight than Hydrabase. Hope I am making sense here. From what I could tell while I was testing all the colours at the counter, texture and creaminess will also depend a lot on the colour you choose. Did I sense any super/extra hydration? Hmm... Hard to say after just one day of wearing, but when I applied it, there was a smoothness to my lips (which disappeared when the lippy wore off, so I think it is superficial). At the first wear, I feel like I prefer RA texture to this, but I will have to update if that changes. The lippy definitely made my lips look a bit plumper from creaminess, hydration and silicones that fill in the lines. But, IMHO, you will definitely have to use a lip liner with this colour (even a clear one) as it tends to bleed.
3) Colour - Well, if you love reds like I do (although I do like good nudes/neutrals, too), I think you will love Gabrielle. If you used Hydrabase Fire before, you will love this colour especially. It is very similar to Fire, although just a tiny bit more warm (I actually prefer Gabrielle in colour to Fire). Because it is creamier, it looks slightly deeper when you test them side by side on your hand, but it really isn't. I tried taking a photo of the two side by side, but my camera battery died, so I will have to do that some other time. On my lips, the difference is negligible, and noticeable only as the lipstick start to wear off - with Fire I start noticing some bluish undertones (even though it is a fairly true red), while I am not seeing any bluish undertones with Gabrielle.
4) Price - OUCH!!!!! I know you'd be hard pressed to find a dept. store lippy for less than $30 these days, and I thought RA at $35 is a luxury in itself, when this baby rolls out at $38 CAD!!!!! With taxes, about $42 CAD. I know Guerlain's "bullet" lippy is even more expensive than that, but honestly, I think anything over $30 is just waaaay too much. While I didn't have any issues dishing out $35 for RA, not sure I feel same for Rouge Coco as aside from the GORGEOUS range of colours, I can't say the formula is so groundbreaking as RA was, for example, when it came out.
But, as I said, the colour range is gorgeous and I already set my eyes on a nice natural daytime colour in Mademoiselle (which is the colour Vanessa Paradis wears in the ad). It is possible that I will appreaciate the creaminess a bit more with that colour as it is more of natural/nudey rose. I will update!
Final score - 4 lippies. I like the colour very much and the texture is good enough, so I do want to own it in my red lipstick collection. If you like creamier lipsticks and don't mind shelling out $$$$, you will definitely want to check out these babies. The colours are to die for, I think I liked at least half of the colours I saw.