Essie Lilacism

3.8

on 5/6/2016 11:51:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Other

This is a grey-lilac in the bottle, but on my nails it turns to a blue. It's also thin and watery, which makes it streaky. Even a third coat isn't fully opaque and is streaked. Some shades of Essie are watery and streaky in my experience, but this is the first one I've had that really looks like a different color on the nails. I like blue shades as well but this one is a bit dull and grey, it's just not attractive.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

This was a fail for me. This was my first Essie color and I did not liked it at all. It was streaky and such a pale color. Lavender is one my favorite colors. I love lavender clothes, shoes, headbands you name it, so when I saw this color I immediately fell in love with it. Looks lovely in the bottle but once you put it on strangely it turned to a pale blue color which is not pretty at all. I wanted to see that lovely lavender color in my nails and unfortunately never saw it.

To Read all 96 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I so wanted to like this because it is a great shade for transitioning from Winter to Spring, imo, and really is great for all Springtime. Just a lovely shade in the bottle and swatches online. But for me, this applies a streaky mess. I tried applying 3 light coats, letting each coat dry in between, and even tried other little 'tricks,' and each time this ended up uneven and streaky and sometimes even gloppy-looking.

I have had luck with some of Essie's other shades, just this one for whatever reason was a fail for me. Maybe the bottle I got was old...? But I find Essie either applies really nicely for me or really streaky, and for me, this one was a hot mess. Even if it did work with one of the 'tricks' like applying 3 coats and letting each coat dry, I just am not one to fuss like that. To me that is a sign of a bad nail polish. Sorry. Just did not work for me. I would suggest if you like this shade check out the Sally Hansen Lacey Lilac or OPI You're Such A Budapest. They are not complete 'dupes,' but definitely in the same shade range, and ime apply and wear much better than this formula. It seems to me the cooler tones I have tried with Essie always end up streaky and/or gloppy-looking, while the warmer tones seem to work well for me (generally speaking). Funny, but I just realized that as I wrote this review. Probably just a coincidence!!! ;)

Lilacism is a beautiful pale lavender colour nail polish from Essie. It has a creme finish and the formula is very smooth and easy to apply. It is opaque in two coats and dried quickly. The colour is gorgeous, a cool-toned lilac/lavender colour that does not pull too grey. It does not make my fingers look pink either which is a bonus! The staying power was fantastic, a full week including 30 hours of air travel (Australia to Europe) without getting a single chip, even without the use of base or top coat! A beautiful colour with a great formula, if you like pastel or purple nail polishes, Lilacism is a must have!! A+

on 6/4/2015 2:25:00 AM

I love this so much I've had to re-purchase after a couple of months.

Unlike some Essie colours you do need to apply three thin coats to get the desired creamy pastel effect - but it's worth it. ...I also think that the three layer thing makes me more careful when applying - which makes my manicure last longer; I can usually get a good four days with this colour (and that's with me doing household chores everyday, an office job etc...).

In sunlight it's a gorgeous pastel lilac colour that's noticeable enough for people to compliment it. (I wore a canary yellow dress with these nails yesterday and the contrast was fantastic - I also like wearing it when in the mood to rock a bright red lipstick). ...And yet - in softer light it looks much more subtle, meaning I can wear it to the office and not feel out of place.

For me this is the perfect polish for those days in spring/ summer when I can't decide between muted or bright - but still want my nails to stand out.

Not sure why the overall rating for this isn't higher! Beautiful color, glossy formula, opaque in 3 thin coats.

on 12/18/2014 10:59:00 PM

I get compliments on this every time I wear it. It's such a pretty bluish purple. It takes me three thin coats to be opaque and has good wear time (I use seche vite base and top coat). I feel like it's also a good colour for summer and winter <3

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

Very pretty lilac colour. It is light, but manages to stay away from babyish. The polish dries very quickly, and lasts well. My inky complaint is with the width of the brush.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

In the spirit of Pantones Colour of 2014 { Radiant Orchid}, I purchased this colour.
So far, loving it.
Very unusual & opaque in 2 coats but the more you apply, the better the colour becomes.
Glossy finish & wears well.
Not my absolute favourite colour but it may still need time to become a favourite.
Highly recommended though.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

While this is a very pretty color, I find the formula to be not so great, with streaky application and polish that gets lumpy if you don't immediately brush it out onto your nail. It's a little disappointing for the expensive price point.

Popular Polishes