A & D - Original Ointment

A & D  - Original Ointment

4.9

Active Ingredients: Contains: Petrolatum (53.4% - Skin Protectant), Lanolin (15.5% - Skin Protectant) Inactive Ingredients: Cod Liver Oil (contains Vitamin A & Vitamin D), Fragrance (Parfum), Light Mineral Oil, Microcrystalline Wax, Beeswax (Apis Mellifera)

on 5/14/2016 11:58:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I buy the store brand, whether it's Wal-Mart, Target, or CVS. Originally when my son was born, 16 years ago I bought this for the intent t purpose, mostly because it was clear, didn't like the white stuff like desitin. So, flash forward, it is really the ONLY constant product that we always have around. We ALWAYS have a tube in house. I can't find a travel size tube, so I squeeze some out into a little plastic jar. Dry eczema hands, sorted, elbows and feet, sorted, chapped lips, sorted, when the kid gets a cold, under his nose gets red and raw from tissues, sorted. Expensive cuticle oils and creams? Who needs that? Rub a wee bit in, keeps them strong, soft, and heals if you have a ripped one. Fine lines at the corners of my eyes, sorted. (45 years alive, 46 in 2 weeks) and honest, really don't have many lines to speak of, all credit to the A&D butt cream for that, a friend told me to try it for that when I was slithering on my hands, 15 years, every night around eyes.* I have used it MANY times to clean and polish, and even waterproof a bit leather heels and oxfords. Black leather Moto jacket, A&D butt cream, soft cloth, cleans it and softens. Ok, it doesn't smell great, but the smell goes away quickly. For all that it does, and a huge tube of the store brand being under $5, this has to be on my desert island list. Tiny touch on a squeaky door hinge, you guessed it, sorted. Yeah, it's also great for preventing diaper rash ;)

on 2/21/2016 6:24:00 PM

This anti babyrash ointment has been Hollywood's & more dermatologists best kept secrets & I'm here to attest that it's tried by 83% of them & revered. I'v been using this for 15 years thanks to my makeup artist, I am almost 55 & I am told by many people I still look like I did in my 30s. Yes many of us have fibbed to friends & family even acting shocked lol we'd stoop so ''low'' to use a baby butt cream along with you & it's ok [to lie LOL.] All of us know and love that it heals & diminishes our cracked heels worn under old cotton socks before we walk the red carpet, our cuticles between manicures, dishpan hands [yes even our housekeepers need a day off], #1 reason we use A&D ointment: to soften & diminish all laughing lines/crows feet better than anything out there. Yes the best time to freely slather this on is when none of us are expecting company especially when your children & spouses/partners are away. I say don't trust any of your family to keep your cheap secrets lol. For the outdoors people: double duties as a gnat insect repellent if you dab abit at your temples [gnats will avoid you & save your eyeballs for being blood sucking food lol] especially riding a bike, [yes Hollywood has bicycles we own & ride.] Now for those who swear by using this as a chapstick, you must not be married nor date, Don't do it unless you want to stay single. Use a mint flavored real chapstick.

They say in Hollywood if this very fishy smelly cream were given out as much as those overrated, overpriced creams there'd be no need for botox & unfortunately many facial informercials would be out of business. The dermawand is complete hogwash BS, don't waste your money on it especially if you use a gentle facial cleanser & a loofah after using this A&D cream.

Hail to all generic A&D baby butt creams! We're with you America, don't go another year without this cream you hide in a drawer, you will not regret taking care of your skin now!

To Read all 21 Reviews, Login or Join

on 11/5/2015 2:46:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Coarse

I can literally say I've been using A&D all my life since it's what my mother used on my sensitive skin as a baby! It works great for me for body rashes & dryness. I started using religiously in my 20's after my skin got really dry due to taking high (daily) doses of antihistamines. After my shower I mix like 1/4 A&D with 3/4 Aveeno baby Lavender & Vanilla lotion and it's very soothing to my skin! I'm no longer on all the antihistamines so my skin's not so dry...but I guess I'm addicted to my A&D because I just can't shake the habit. Note: I would not recommend using A&D on your face if you have acne prone skin, I don't think it's non-comedogenic. It's a little expensive but a little A&D goes a loooooooong way!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Silver, Straight, Coarse

If I have a rash (razor burn, reaction to product, contact dermatitis), scrape, scratch, torn cuticle or pretty much anything that's irritated and/or sore, I use this. I don't care for the smell but I tolerate it because this ointment fixes just about anything. It's super-greasy, but it works.

I used to use regular vaseline which is fine but I prefer A&D ointment does a bit better job on my chapped lips. However, it does have more of an odor but I have gotten used to it.

It's utilitarian, sure. Smells a little "clinical," too. But since I picked up a little tube of this 2 years ago, I have dispensed with all my other lip balms (and I used to collect them, every brand and flavor). I work in an ER, where the air is intentionally kept very dry, and stick balms weren't cutting it anymore. Same for mentholated balms in a pot, like Carmex and Burt's Bees-- too drying. Regular Vaseline was thin and slippery and didn't seem to really sink in.

One night, an experienced nurse showed me her tube of A & D and said, "it ain't just for baby butts!" Wow. The lanolin and cod liver oil (which you barely smell) give this stuff a nice thick texture that's not waxy. My lips love the way it feels! And it really does sink in and heal the lips. It's basic, inert, and non-irritating, while still being highly effective. I can even skip a night.

Bonus: makes a pretty lip gloss! So get beyond the "butt" association and approach this stuff with an open mind.

on 5/15/2014 12:24:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I never thought I would be writing a review for this. I was provided with many tubes from the hospital when my dd was younger. I usually use Desitin or Butt Paste on my daughter's diaper rashes but decided to use this. This works amazingly well for healing the area and a little goes a long way. It doesn't have the best smell but it does work. I now use this on my lips at night to keep them supple looking and soft per recommendations here. I recently have been slathering some on my feet and hands at night as well. I thought it would be too heavy but the lanolin and cod liver oil (I know, doesn't sound appealing, lol) is suitable for sealing in moisture and brightening the skin. I couldn't believe how soft and smooth my skin felt, especially my feet. I rarely have time to go to the nail salon for upkeep so I have to resort to caring for my hands and feet at home. This ointment helps a lot in making my feet look presentable in sandals now that the summer is drawing near. It has almost the same consistency of vaseline but is slightly more liquidy. Highly recommend.

on 1/19/2014 6:42:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I use A&D ointment for literally everything. I am never without a tube, and when I travel and forget to bring one, I freak out. For one, I have used it as an eye cream since I was 25. I don't know if it's the superior moisturizing and barrier-creating properties of the ointment, or the vitamin A that's in it, but I have no fine lines around my eyes at 30 (hoping it'll stay that way, too). I actually feel weird going to bed without it, and usually get up to slap it on if I've forgotten. Almost every other eye cream/oil I've used feels completely inadequate compared to this. Secondly, I use it on my lips at night. This is one of the only products I've tried to use overnight that absolutely does not evaporate and heals and protects my lips until morning. It also looks great as a balm during the day, although it does smell sort of weird, and people with babies look at you weird when you break it out and apply it. Finally, I use it on my cuticles and it works beautifully to keep them strong and prevent them from cracking. It's sort of weird, but I'm a product junkie and I've been using this for 5 years, longer than any other product in my routine. I know it's not particularly cool, but I'd recommend it to anyone of any age who needs serious moisturization anywhere on their body.

on 7/16/2013 7:16:00 AM

This product is FABULOUS!!! I discovered it in desperation as the hot summer of 2013 approached. Not to sound gross but sweating profusely in some of our intimate areas ladies isn't cute, fun or comfortable. Underneath the breast area can be a real problem for most women who are well endowed. After suffering many summers from itchy rashes and yeast infections underneath my breast area, I decided to try A &D after reading on another blog that it could help for this problem. I RUSHED right out and purchased it and applied it to the intended area, held my breath and prayed for the best. My prayers were answered. Not only does this stuff repel sweat but I have not had one single outbreak or discomfort in this area since using it. I am very careful in regards to what I use in the breast area because of chemicals and parabens, but A & D's ingredients are all harmless. It keeps me dry, fresh and rash free. I now also use it on my lips at night and they are as supple as can be. I plan never to be without this amazing ointment!!!!!

on 6/16/2013 4:41:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This stuff is amazing. Best lip balm I've ever used and I've tried *everything*. Before I started using this at night my lips were always dry, especially in winter when they'd crack and bleed. Also, I'm a polish junkie, and changing it several times a week leaves my nails very dehydrated. Now after I take my polish off I rub a little bit of this into my cuticles and nail beds and my nails are so much better for it; no more peeling or broken nails. I've used this on all kinds of rashes, burns, cuts, scrapes, etc. and it's always worked great. And you have to use it so sparingly that 1.5oz tube has lasted months with barely a dent made.