Urban Decay Razor Sharp Ultra Definition Finishing Powder [DISCONTINUED]

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
Urban Decay Razor Sharp Ultra Definition Finishing Powder [DISCONTINUED]

3.9

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Silica, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Isoceteth-10, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Phenoxyethanol, Sorbic Acid, Ascorbyl Palmitate. May Contain: Mica, CI77491/77492/77499 (Iron Oxides), CI77163 (Bismuth Oxychloride)

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse

When I first attempted to use this finishing powder, I absolutely hated it! I'd been to the UD beauty counter with a friend and we both have fairly similar pale skin tones and when the assistant put the powder on my friends face I was just amazed. Like I had to have it right there and then! She teamed it with the Naked Skin foundation which I love and it looked great. So when I first came to use it, I thought what pretty packaging, although you do not get a lot of product for what you pay for. I opened it up and observed the puff thing (the WORST example of a puff IN THE WORLD) and assumed that you twisted the top off and dipped the puff thing in to apply, though I had no plans to use it because I hate puffs. Anyway, I was wrong about the application. You actually have to twist it and the powder comes to the surface of the puff so that you can pat the product on.
As as result of trying to apply the powder in that way, it left a great big orange mark on my forehead! It did not look good, and was also really hard to get rid of! Bear in mind that this is allegedly a translucent powder, and therefore should suit any skin tone and not come up orange. I had to use my Laura Mercier powder to make an attempt at buffing the orange out, and it all ended up in my hairline and it was just not good.
The second application was far better. I got rid of the stupid puff, literally ripped it off the top, tapped out the powder into the lid and applied with my normal powder brush. The effect after doing that was just fabulous. There was no orange, made it matte where it needed to be, and kept my make up there all day. I don't like it as much as my Laura Mercier loose powder, but it is the cheaper option and its not a bad product at all. I would recommend it without the puff, and would buy again.

I own both this setting powder and the MUFE HD loose powder. They perform about equally as far as I can tell in setting foundation and keeping oil at bay without giving an overly dry/powdery look. I do like the slight peachy cast of the UD Razor-sharp powder as it's a little kinder to my NC17ish skintone--I look a little less pale and washed out when I use it versus the MUFE HD powder. I don't know about it's ability to magically blur out any imperfections, but when I take care with my makeup--skin prep, priming, foundation, concealing, and then this powder--I am able to get a fairly flawless/airbrushed look. But again, I think that's more the result of good foundation/concealer application.

The reason for my ho-hum three-star review? The packaging has to be the worst idea in the history of cosmetics. What was UD thinking? The only reason I didn't return this product after observing firsthand the mind-boggling awfulness of the packaging was because I ripped the sponge applicator off the top of the jar and am able to dispense a small amount of product into the lid of an old MAC loose powder container.

Unless UD rethinks the packaging of this product, I will not be repurchasing. There are far too many other good quality setting powders out there with which I don't have to wrestle with the packaging and which cost the same or less than this.

When I first heard of this product I wanted to try it. I was very hesitant though to make the purchase since I read so many negative reviews about it. Every single one I read said the user could not get the powder out, and most wound up breaking the applicator sponge off and just used a brush! I was horrified!!! That wastes so much of the fine powder! Urban Decay designed this to specifically work with this sponge! So as much as I dislike telling my secrets here's a little tip so that maybe UD wont discontinue this powder!! To easily release the powder from jar, turn product over so the applicator sponge is facing down, then gently use thumbs to pump the sponge several times until you notice a fine plume of powder float out. At that point I will either squeeze the product above my face or dab it across my prominent features; I.e.forehead, nose bridge, apples, jaw line and tip of chin, then I softly blend it in with the product's applicator. A little goes a very long way! I am slightly disappointed however at how quick primer and or foundation cakes up the sponge. I usually do not have enough time to let my wet product dry completely before I use my powder. To top it all off the humidity here in Texas rarely lets anything dry all the way. I am unsure of how to clean my sponge to get the buildup off since it is attached to the powder jar. I would be disappointed if I got the powder inside moist.

The cost of the powder is worth it! I do not think I have a single negative opinion about it! For years I used a compact from covergirl, but it is no longer available in my area.
If you are looking for a setting powder that will even out your complexion, to go over your foundation, that will not make you look like a ghost, this is the finishing powder for you! It allows your natural complexion to show through and if worn over foundation, it allows the color of the foundation to come through without it looking like cake. It does not settle into fine lines or pores.
I am thrilled I did not "judge this book by the cover"! The value is perfect! I would use about one normal powder compact once every month or so and I have used my razor-sharp for about three months now and will still have enough for another several months! In the end, the razor-sharp ends up being less expensive than the compact!
AMAZING PRODUCT! EVERYONE SHOULD USE IT!

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Okay first of all, I LOVE YOU URBAN DECAY. I find it is pretty much impossible to go wrong with anything they make, other than this one really loose black eyeshadow thing I had from them once, which just ended up going all over my face every time I tried to use it and made me look like a coal miner... but anyway, I digress.

This is the best powder I have ever used. It basically looks like you're not wearing any powder, which is just amazing and wonderful and the best thing in the world.

The only downside is, as everyone else has mentioned, the bizarre applicator that it comes in. I'm not slating it, I just genuinely don't know how to use it. I've tried turning the 'open' dial, turning it upside down, tapping it a bit... and whether the product comes out or not is sort of pot luck. If you're going to take the lid right off I would be EXTREMELY careful as you are likely to unleash a whirlwind of face dust which will go all over your clothes and hair and in your keyboard. This stuff is so fine, it is almost a vapour (which I think is awesome) but it also kind of volatile. So, use with caution, I would say.

Other than that, this powder blows my mind. FIVE LIPPIES.

I was a little leery of this finishing powder at first but have really grown to like it. I usually don't like loose powders but find that loose finishing powders are what work best for me when setting my makeup so I was really drawn to this with its particular promises. I like this setting powder because it is finely milled and truly does blur away my fine lines and minor imperfections. It can be scary at first because it does apply a little white and ghostly, but going over it with a nice, fluffy powder brush clears that up. As others have mentioned, the only downside is the applicator. Not to sound like a turd, but it's honestly the dumbest thing I've ever seen... it seriously sucks. I have not read one review on here or other sites that thought the attached-puff applicator was a good idea. Sorry for my rant but I really hate the puff, haha.
In the end though, I really love this and believe it gives a smooth, almost air-brushed finish if applied correctly (with a quality powder brush). It's not going to cover up a honking, mountain of a zit but it will definitely help with your typical imperfections. I also think it helps with oil control, another plus! Oh, and it may look like there's not a lot in the container but I promise this baby will last you a longgg time!

on 2/28/2013 4:30:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Fine

OMG. Best setting powder I have ever tried :D

I bought this because my usual mattifying powder was out of stock, so I bought this in stead!

And I am so happy I did !!!!!!!!!

The powder is so fine, it makes your skin feel like silk and it is so light !

I have never had a powder that make my skin look so good. It keeps my face matte all day long (I wear MUFE mat velvet underneath, which on its own make my skin shiny after about 4-6 hours).

It also doesn't clog pores, look chalky or smell.

I think it looks very natural, and you can barely see it on the skin, it just make you look mat and healthy! and your skin feels so soft!

The only CON I can think of is the packaging, the sponge/puff applicator is worthless and a waste of space - it gets dirty quickly and does not apply well. (use a powder brush instead)

If you don't use the puff applicator you are left with one option: Taking of the lid - but that is sometimes messy as it is easy for the powder to get everywhere. - A disgrace to such a fine product!

on 6/21/2012 5:58:00 PM

Would have given this one a 5 if it were not for the weird attached puff thingy on top that makes application a nightmare!

I LOVE the powder - it sets my foundation and my t zone does not get oily the whole day - even in swampy Arizona summers!

I got a sample of this in the urban bride kit and wish i could say i would re-purchase this but until they fix the awkward container or i figure out a way to open it and remove the puff i won't be buying another.

I have the sample size of this from the Urban Bride kit. I do like this powder, it helps set my makeup (I use it over MUFE HD foundation) it keeps my face fairly matte all day long (as much as possible in Florida humidity) and overall is a nice product.

What do I hate? The stupid applicator brush. Of course the sample size comes with the same one that people complain about on the full size. I find it impossible to pull the entire top off to get to the powder by itself (maybe because I'm afraid of wrecking my nails doing so) so I usually click it to "Open" and dot the applicator on my face, then use a brush to spread it and also dab the brush ON the applicator to pick up some powder. But the applicator just wastes so much product - it doesn't seem to apply a lot to your face, but if you tap it at all you can see powder flying everywhere. It's annoying.. also, the powder kind of smells gross but I think most powders probably do so that's not a big deal.

on 2/10/2012 11:47:00 AM

Like other reviewers have mentioned the packaging sucks as the attached powder puff can't be cleaned and it deposits an uneven amount of powder on the skin. I simply removed the puff and just use the lid to swirl some product onto a brush for application.
This powder only comes in one shade and it matches my complexion (MAC NC15) beautifully. This powder has definitely amazed me as it sets my foundation and provides me with a semi-matte airbrushed look. Doesn't look cakey, powdery, and wears extremely well throughout the day. I have even started using it to set my under eye concealer and this has to be the best powder I have ever used for this task. I'm really enjoying this powder and would repurchase. I'm giving it 4/5 as the packaging isn't user friendly.

I must say I am not a fan of loose powders as I am rather clumsy at times, however after finding myself running out of my other (non loose) powders and a shiny face, I decided to give this product a go, as all the other products i have tried from urban decay are all re-purchable. I have had this powder since August last year and I use this everyday, and amazingly i still have loads of product left!!! I must admit when it was first delivered i was terrified of the packaging (i hate it) It is very attractive, however it comes with a sponge applicator at the top, but you can also take this off by screwing the lid off, but the first time youdo this you have to be super careful otherwise your going to end up like me with product all over your clothes, luckily it wasn't the whole tub. Also it may seem that there is hardly any product, but this stuff will last!! If you're in the market for a new powder give this a whirl