Alaffia Everyday Shea Moisturizing Body Wash

Alaffia Everyday Shea Moisturizing Body Wash

4.5

Unscented version: Water, Aqueous Neem Leaf (Azadirachta indica) Extract, Handcrafted Shea Butter Soap (Saponified Shea (Butyrospermum parkii) Butter* and Virgin Coconut (Cocos nucifera) Oil), Cocamidopropyl Betaine. Scented version: as above PLUS Sucrose, Essential Oil and/or Vanilla Extract.

on 7/2/2016 2:12:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

A while back, I bought a large pump bottle of Everyday Shea body wash in the Lavender scent. This product is different than other body washes I've tried in that it isn't a thick shampoo-like texture. I presume that is partly because it doesn't use harsh detergents that are in many shampoos and body washes (eg, Sodium Laurel Sulfate), and is primarily composed of emollient ingredients. The product is thinner, and lathers less than other body washes. However, I still come out of the shower with clean, but not over-dried, skin.

The pump dispenser is awesome--I end up using around 3-4 pumps for my whole body. Because of its thinner texture, I can apply directly to damp skin without having to dilute. It has good slip, so I can easily spread it around. I haven't tried it on a shower puff, but I think it would work wonderfully. The product rinses very easily, and does not leave a greasy or sticky feel. The lavender fragrance is natural and very pleasant.

I want to point out that I was not enamored with Everyday Shea at first. It is a somewhat boring product, basically simple liquid soap (saponified shea butter) with no fancy ingredients. And since I was used to coming out of the shower with a "squeaky" feeling, I thought perhaps Everyday Shea was not effective. But then I did a comparison of Everyday Shea with Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Body Wash, and found that I have less residue and less irritation with Everyday Shea. I wasn't expecting this, especially given Aveeno's marketing toward those with dry, itchy or eczema-prone skin. After using Everyday Shea body wash consistently for several months, my skin has become very soft and velvety. I will definitely consider repurchasing.

Ingredients: Azadirachta indica (Neem) Aqueous Extract, Saponified Butyrospermum parkii (Shea) Butter* and Cocos nucifera (Coconut) Oil*, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Lavandula hybrida (Lavender) Oil. *Certified Fair for Life - Social and Fair Trade by IMO.

I've been using the Alaffia Everyday Coconut Body Wash for a while (I posted a review on that as well) but after seeing how good the reviews are for Everyday Shea I decided to give it a try. I like it much better than the Everyday Coconut so we'll be buying the Shea from now on.

It's very thick and moisturizing. I got the passion fruit scent and it smells soooo good. My only complaint with the Coconut was that the smell was boring, but the passion fruit is much better. I'm not a fan of synthetic fragrance at all so I'm happy the passion fruit scent is naturally-derived. I don't tend to like strong scents either, and this one is subtle and lovely. I have dry, sensitive skin and a lot of bath and body products make me itchy, but this doesn't bother my skin at all.

It is sulfate and paraben free which are both important to me. It is a great simple, everyday body wash. My SO and I both use it daily. It foams nicely and rinses cleanly. I love that it has a pump which makes dispensing it easy.

The price is amazing, too! I usually pay $8 for this at the grocery store and it's a huge bottle that lasts quite awhile. We'll keep buying this when we run out.

To Read all 28 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

My sis bought this for me three years ago and I've been converted ever since. It is my absolute favorite body wash. Simple natural ingredient list, lots of lather, smells good, affordable. I have sensitive dry skin with occasional excema and kp and this soap doesn't irritate my skin at all. It leaves me clean, hydrated, and smelling fresh. I can use it head to toe; not too harsh for lady parts or face even. I wouldn't say it super moisterizing; it doesn't leave you with that glycerin feel, but it doesn't leave your skin parched either - just balanced. It comes unscented, vanilla mint, and passion fruit and they're all light and fresh. The giant bottle lasts me for months as I only need a couple pumps at a time. Also Alaffia is fair trade organic and supports wealth building for African women. Its good stuff!

on 10/14/2015 10:46:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I adore this stuff. It moisturizes and cleanses nicely, is very affordable, and has a 1 on the EWG scale. What's not to love!? I actually also use it as a shampoo and it's great for that as well!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Pros:
- Insanely wonderful value. 32 ounces of body wash that lasts a few months, for under $10.
- Extremely safe and natural product, so you feel good about using it day in and day out. The ingredients are neem extract, water, shea butter, coconut oil, cocamidopropyl betaine (safe), vanilla extract, spearmint oil, and sodium chloride (basically table salt). Nothing harmful here.
- It is fair trade, and funds from the purchase of this product help pay fair wages, plant trees, supply bicycles, care for moms, and provide school supplies.

Cons:
- The bottle says the product is "simple and effective." Which is totally true… Also means it's just kind of boring.
- Not a fan of the weird brown look of the product.
- People tend to love the scents, but I haven't found one that I adore.
- This is not particularly moisturizing. It doesn't leave my skin feeling parched, but it doesn't feel luxurious either.
- The pump is awesome. Super convenient.

When all is said and done, I will continue to buy this product for my boyfriend and I because it safe and incredibly cost-effective.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is a nice mild body wash and the scents are fantastic. I think it is a great choice for the budget minded (especially on sale) and the huge 32 oz bottle lasts a long time (almost too long).

on 10/10/2014 10:30:00 AM

In my quest to treat my skin and body better, I was excited to try this product. I love the message of the company and the product is exquisite: natural and gentle yet effective. I have very dry skin, especially on my legs (they look like dried up river beds if I don't moisturize) and most body washes, no matter how "moisturizing" they claim to be, leave my skin just as dry as when I started. This is the first body wash that has virtually eliminated the dry, scaly look from my legs. It leaves my entire body feeling soft, clean, and very moisturized. The scent does not linger after you get out of the shower, which is fine with me (I got the vanilla mint), but it is very invigorating during use. I shower in the mornings and the refreshing smell wakes my senses right up!

On top of it all, the size of the bottle is a great value: 32oz for just over $10! Very pleased.

on 7/8/2014 3:05:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This stuff is amazing. I use it as a hand and face wash, and it has never let me down. I have used it as body was as well, with great results. It's about ten bucks for a huge, ginormous bottle - with a pump! It's not insanely foamy, like traditional body washes, unless you work with it. I think I'm on my 5th bottle. I will never not repurchase.

on 12/22/2013 1:11:00 PM

I love this body wash. I have used Dr. Bronner's and I hate the fact that you have to dilute it. This product is very mild, yet cleanses and doesn't dry out my skin. It lasts me six months and I will buy it again and again and again.

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Cool

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

Bought it to use as body wash but it gave my chest a few spots after only two days use which is strange (and sad) as it acted as a really good moisturizer for my super dry skin. Started using it as hand soap and it moisturized amazingly. No need to use lotion afterwards. If you're the kind of person who wants that squeeky clean feel though this product isn't it. It washed great but leaves what I feel is a shea butter film. Ran out of shampoo and tried it out on my 4c naturally afro hair and GA-DAMN! My hair felt softer than any shampoo I've used since the now discontinued (sob) Creme of Nature (green top/cream colored bottle) moisturizing shampoo that every ethnic person alive still cries over. It makes your hair THAT soft). Soooo, it's now my only shampoo/conditioner and hand soap. It's so good i'm not going to buy the same brand singular shampoo/conditioner versions. It's lasted a crazy long time also, about 3 months so far and there's still a quarter of the bottle left. Like I said though, if you have oily skin stay well away. If you have dry hair though run to it. It'll cut down your curly hair product and possible cut out your need for conditoner forever.