MAC Studio Finish Skin Corrector

MAC Studio Finish Skin Corrector
MAC Studio Finish Skin Corrector in Pure Orange

4.3

octyldodecanol, dipentaerythrityl, hexahydroxystearate/hexastearate/hexarosinate, synthetic beeswax, ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate, polyethylene, silica, titanium dioxide, tocopheryl acetate, ascorbyl palmitate, lecithin, microcrystalline wax, cera microcristallina, cire microcristalline, triethoxycaprylysilane, pvp/hexadecene copolymer, stearic acid, alumina, mica

on 4/9/2017 9:42:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I bought Studio Finish Skin Corrector in Blonde Ash when I was recovering from a cold and wanted to cover surface redness caused by blowing my nose a lot. This shade can also disguise a mild sunburn or temporary inflammation caused by acne. If you are already familiar with the formula of MAC’s Studio Finish SPF 35 Concealer, you know what to expect. The difference is that the shades are for color correcting small areas of the face as needed. You may not need them every day.

PROS:

It’s a nice cream concealer that offers medium-to-full coverage. The pale green tone of Blonde Ash effectively cancels out surface redness on light-to-medium complexions. This formula is also available in Light Peach and Orange for correcting bluish dark circles under the eyes. I’ve used correctors in the past when doing makeup professionally, and the green ones are usually too green. This one looks surprisingly natural; it's subtle enough to compensate for redness without going too far in the other direction and making my skin look odd. It can easily be layered with a foundation. I also have the Light Peach shade to correct blue.

CONS:

Like MAC’s other pot concealer, the formula is thick and therefore requires good blending. A synthetic concealer brush helps with application. If you over-apply or it doesn't look fully blended, you can compensate by stippling with a damp sponge. It wears best when used in conjunction with a foundation that matches the skin well and set with powder.

The Blonde Ash shade is only available as a Pro Pan which must be dropped into a palette. I bought an empty 2-pan palette for Blonde Ash and Light Peach. (I didn’t like the idea of putting a cream pan next to a powder pan that might have a lot of fallout.) It would be nice if the corrective shades were offered in MAC's single clam-shell packaging, but these corrective colors are only available at Pro Stores or maccosmetics.com

Blonde Ash is only suitable for spot correcting for redness. If you want a cream concealer than can be used anywhere on the face, Studio Finish SPF 35 Concealer comes in a wide variety of realistic flesh tones and it offers the same level of coverage.

on 3/2/2016 7:53:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

this is some good stuff I use the orange id like to try other colors but I wish it came with packaging instead of a little lonely pan. I have a 2 pan palette from mac that I put it in I have one and its sitting panned up all by itself so I ordered another but overall its a good product a lil waxy but its waterproof so I guess that's why.

on 4/13/2014 4:07:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

For reference, I am an NC15 - 20, pale skin and dark eyes and hair. I also have hereditary dark circles that also stain my eyelids.

I have been through a lot of concealers, both high and low end. I used to use MAC studio finish in NW20 (I am yellow/olive toned but the warmer pink toned concealer helps counter dark circles) and it was OK, but not great and used to crease on me. Plus, my circles still peeked through. Then I moved on to MUFE Full Cover in no.5, which is amazing, but my circles still show through, even after 2 layers. I then bit the bullet and bought the Bobbi Brown corrector in light/medium bisque and that has really helped, especially when layered under either my MUFE full cover or my YSL Touche Eclat in 2. That said, I still felt like it was letting the darkness through, so I thought it was time to pull out the big guns and go pro.

This corrector really is bright orange. At the MAC store, the SA told me to mix it with my regular concealer as the pigment is strong and dark for my pale skin. She mixed it with NC20 and it worked pretty well, looking natural but not particularly bright. The darkness was still coming through a bit. I bought it anyway thinking I could experiment with it till I got it to work. I tried layering it under my concealer today but it totally didn't work - looked way too dark on me. Looks like I'll have to keep playing with it but from what I can tell, it might just be better to go back to Bobbi Brown.

Shame, was really hoping to find something that finally worked for me.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Formula is much too dry for my skin.It emphasizes dry patches

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Finally, my HG orange corrector. I would suggest this to anyone looking for orange.

I've tried some very dry products, like Bobbi Brown peach corrector. That stuff didn't blend but managed to crease within seconds. So, in comparison, this MAC cream isn't drying at all. I would compare the formula to MAC's Studio Finish concealer.

It's easy to blend this with other concealers, resulting in a not-so-bright peachy color.

Since it's a Pro product, meant for a palette, the packaging is annoying. I depot it into a small acrylic container. That's the only downside. Overall, my search for corrector is over and I'll re-order every time I run out.

on 11/18/2015 12:28:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

This product has become a staple in my makeup routine. I use the shade peach and it is perfect for my under eye circles which lean blue. I am NC20 - fair/light with yellow undertone and cool. Peach corrector looks fairly pink but I know from experience that pink/peach shades work well under my eyes despite my having a yellow undertone. The texture of this is harder yet still creamy so I use a stiff concealer brush to apply this and apply liquid concealer on top with a fluffy brush. I prefer light coverage foundation/tinted moisturiser and it's great for use with light or heavier type foundations. I really do recommend for those looking for extra coverage under the eyes and I can see the shade peach suiting most skin tones ranging from fair/light - medium especially with cool undertones as peach counteracts blue :). Will 100% repurchase :).

on 9/16/2013 9:33:00 PM

YES!! for you ladies with dark circles try out the Skin Corrector in Light Peach!! It is the only thing that truly lightens my circles. I have tried Cle de Peau beaute concealer and it doesn't work as good as the MAC one. The only downside is that it is only available from MAC Pro Stores so I can only get it in downtown Vancouver.

The other note is that it is the pan only so you need a container if you don't already have one. I just plopped it in one of my old MAC concealer pots.

on 11/24/2010 2:04:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

I use this corrector after moisturising but before concealer and powder. It really does cover up extremely dark circles and pigmentation around the eye.
The trick is to use it sparingly - don't COAT your skin with bright orange but dab on enough so that you can blend it into your skin and let the orange neutralise the black/blue from within. If the orange gets on to skin that is not pigmented, it's going to show up as orange, so you want to be very careful with how much you use.
I apply mine with an eyeshadow sponge applicator, working in little dots on areas that are darkest (inner corners, part of nose where sunglasses rest and under the eye). The blending takes some time, but let the corrector work with your body heat to melt easily and you'll be fine. Most people use a brush. I find it deposits too much product in places I don't want it.
The concealer over the corrector is what does the trick, it covers up any too-warm, too-coral areas and covers up all the blue. I use Studio Sculpt, which of course needs setting - so Select Sheer goes on top.
The corrector is always out of stock in India, so I may have to pick up a refill when I holiday abroad. it lasts a very long time, since I use so little. But I'm glad I gave it a try. I have deep set eyes and dark circles don't help. The corrector really does brighten up my eyes.
Edit: If you need to tone down the orange (and I've found it helps to tone down orange even on NC 40 skintones) here's a tip: blend your corrector with a tiny drop of liquid foundation, mix it up to get an apricot shade and figure out the quantities to get the right balance of orange and yellow you want. It does offer more coverage than a concealer and makes the orange easier to blend in and camouflage the worst areas.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

{LIGHT PEACH }

I have a very light skin, probably nw10 - nw15, and I have some undereye puffyness that casts a shadow. With in the innereye a bit of green/blue/grey coloration. Well this product is truly amazing. Previously I had been using touche eclat no. 1, and even though thats an amazing product it didnt give me that freshness anymore. Now with a tiny amount of product using a small densly fibered eyeshadow brush i apply it in the shadowarea, blend it out a bit upwards, then apply mineralize skinfinish in light and the result is amazing. totally freshed up face, it doesnt dry out and doesnt cling in my fine lines, I am totally in love with this!!! So if you have light skin pick up this one, it does micacles!!

{BLONDE ASH}

After waxing facial hairs a have terrible red bumps and this conceals that easily, though with severe redness I found that some extra foundation and then a powder helps best. Im quiete new to this one and still exploring the possibilities, but it surely covers redness on skin way better than the studio finish concealer does. And the texture is supercreamy, and when it is set you cant even see I have something on my face!!

now for both colors:
PROS:

-creamy texture, so also good for dry skin
-covers specific problems
-cheap, because you buy them in a pan

CONS:

-only available at pro-stores

on 3/11/2014 10:36:00 PM

Pure orange:
I am both glad that I got hold of this, and also regret not buying it earlier. I have fair skin with really dark circles, which is a huge problem since light coloured concealer doesn't work and a darker color obviously defeats the purpose. So for all you Indian women out there,this is your solution.
Ive tried them all, peach correctors, NW range of concealer,stage makeup...everything. This one beats them all! And since it works on colour theory,you are only applying a super thin layer of makeup under your eye. However,a concealer with a moist or tacky consistency will draw in a lot of the orange and start to look more orange than yellow. Not a good look. Ive found it works best with the studio finish concealer.

The only rant I have is that I do remember seeing this in almost every MAC store in india, packaged in little pots like the concealer. However out here in Philadelphia (turns out, all of North America actually), its a pro only product and can be ordered online, but it is available only in refill pans-Meaning most likely you cant try it out in store. Maybe they have more demand in India? No clue!
All that said, I would still purchase, untill someone either: 1.finds me a cheaper option
2. Finds me the pot version :-P