3.9

price range

Reviews

1.0

8 months ago

I was impressed by this mascara - until I washed it off. This mascara was volumizing & lengthening but when I took it off it broke up into little chunks and got all in my eyes. I’ve never had a mascara break down like this? I use the CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser and I had to pick out the little chunks from inside and around my eyes. This mascara looked really pretty on for $3 but unfortunately this isn’t healthy for my eyes.

About reviewer (147 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinSensitive, Fair, Cool

HairBrunette, Straight, Fine

EyesBlue

9 months ago

I read somewhere that this was a good dupe for the Covergirl Clump Crusher mascara, so I picked it up when CG was not yet cruelty-free. The e.l.f. formula glides on without leaving a single clump in its wake and gives me the long, defined lashes I love. I would recommend giving it a couple extra minutes to dry if you use a setting spray; I’ve had it clump up on me when I didn’t realize it was still wet, not an issue I had with the CG mascara. It does smudge in the outer corners of my eyes, which is the only reason it doesn't get 5 lippies. But this is a great mascara for a great price and I hope they release different shades of it!

About reviewer (159 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair

HairRed

10 months ago

I saw really good reviews for this, but I know they recently changed the formula so I'm gonna use that to negate my feelings of betrayal about this mascara. I only gave it 2 points because if you were living in a post-apocalyptic society with no amenities, and you found this stuff, it would give your lashes a little something. But that is the only reason I can think of that anyone would choose this product over the millions of others. It's so weirdly sticky that you will end up with one monstrous clump of eyelash if you blink wrong while applying. Also, I had to carefully (!!!!) apply a full three coats before my lashes even looked close to how I would want a mascara to make them. It flakes off all day, but don't worry. When you try to take it off, it's not budging. I wasted a lot of cotton rounds and makeup remover on this stuff. It has a gluey, smeary consistency that is such a nightmare to remove. Part of the reason I got it was that I thought it would be kinda good for my lashes, but it was so hard to get off that some of my lashes fell out whenever I tried. I used this stuff for a week and a half, because I like to try to make things work. I hate giving up on a product and letting it go to waste, but this one made the cut.

About reviewer (9 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair, Neutral

HairBrown, Straight, Fine

2 years ago

I got this stuff free with my purchase. I've been using the same mascara for about 10 years and never try any others. But, when I received it I gave it a try. Wow. Not bad at all! It's super cheap so I'll definitely be ordering more. And, it's cruelty free, unlike my usual mascara. Score!

About reviewer (3 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium

HairBlond

2 years ago

I love this mascara. It's perfect for me. It's cheap and works well. I tend to lean towards the more natural and less wet foundation formulas. It's been a long road of trial and error and I really like this one. It separates and lengthens like a dream. Clumps are minimal and my lashes hold a curl!

About reviewer (9 reviews)

SkinOily, Tan

HairBrown

2 years ago

I bought this searching for a cruelty free brand that wasn’t $30 a tube. I saw good reviews but apparently that’s the old formula. I don’t like this mascara at all. It’s very wet and adds length but does so by clumping my lashes together. Gives Zero separation. Adds NO volume. Prone to clumps. And the flakes! By the end of day I’ve got pieces under mg eyes. And God forbid you workout or do anything physical with this one, you’ll be left with one big stuck together eyelash. I’m unimpressed and would never repurchase. I liked the tube packaging and brush. The brush was a thinner nylon type that really lets you get close to the lash line.

About reviewer (228 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinSensitive, Medium, Warm

HairBrown, Wavy, Medium

2 years ago

If I could give this a 3.5 I would. It's a good mascara, but not anything special in my opinion. I do think this is a great option if you don't want to spend a ton on a mascara though, it separates the lashes nicely and makes them look a bit longer. It doesn't add too much volume which is a minus for me (but that's mostly a personal preference). It can take some time to remove if you're using an eye makeup remover but an oil clenaser gets it off easily.

About reviewer (20 reviews)

SkinDry, Fair, Neutral

HairBlack, Wavy, Medium

EyesGreen

2 years ago

EDIT: I rebought this recently (11/2019), and it's better, so I think they listened to their customers and improved it. This was THE best mascara. Cheap AND the best. How often does that happen? Over the years, I've used many expensive brands, some of which were way worse than this. I want to only use cruelty free, and I was thrilled to find E.L.F., and especially thrilled with this mascara. Well, now they've changed it and it is beyond horrible. Why why why!!!??

About reviewer (39 reviews)

Age56 & Over

SkinDry, Fair, Not Sure

HairBrown, Wavy, Fine

3.0
from

2 years ago

This product is now essentially discontinued, much to my dismay (and probably others). I've used this mascara for 5 years or so now, but it's time to find a new HG. As of 2017, this mascara now comes in a new formula. This formula change took a mascara that once was not too wet and not too dry and turned it into a wet, gooey mess. It is truly mystifying that they thought this resinous paste was acceptable for mascara, nevermind being worthy of replacing a great formula. The brush is also different, no longer a silicone rubber brush that was great for an even application of product and separating the lashes. Now, it is a more typical nylon bristle brush that unfortunately promotes further clumping. At least the price hasn't gone up, although if you factor in how horrible this stuff is, $3 is still too much. - 1 point for clumpy, heavy formula, - 1 point for poor brush.

About reviewer (160 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinCombination, Medium, Warm

HairBlack, Straight, Medium

2 years ago

I enjoy the way it looks initially, very natural, but it clumps up and smudges incredibly easily. Flakes throughout the day too :(

About reviewer (104 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral