MAC Velvet - Vanilla

Velvet - Vanilla

4.2

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

This shade should do great things for my eyeshadow palette giving my coloring (NW20 or a bit lighter), even better than my HG Blanc Type, which makes a great base shadow, highlight or all-round cleaner-upper of other shadows when they get muddy or blah.

But Vanilla itself goes on barely visible; to make any impact requires too much product and looks very powdery. Not worth the purchase price.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I ordered this online and when I got it I was a bit worried about the amount of shimmer that appeared in the pan, however as other reviewers have mentioned once applied it isn't noticeable. I have NC10-15 skin and this works so well as a highlight shade for my slightly sallow eye area.

on 8/12/2016 8:27:00 AM

This is horrendous. I wanted to repurchase Blanc Type which is my hg, but as usual, it was sold out (luckily I found it out of town the next day) and so she gave my husband Vanilla saying it was the same and perfect for what I would like it for even though I emphasised MATTE being a criteria (highlighting, under brow bone, inner corners, inner lower lash line etc. )
Well, this is rubbish. You really need to dig out the colour, it is extremely, extremely gritty and sparkly, layering this (to get a HINT of colour pay off) ends up looking blotchy. I don't know why anyone would wear this? So disappointed seeing there is a no return policy in Greece.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

So I'm white. Like I almost glow blue. Finding a good highlight is hard. Blanc type was too dark and yellow on me. Yes, I'm that pale. In the pan I always thought vanilla looked darker than Blanc type so I never tried it. Finally, last Christmas I decided to try it. Low and behold it's perfect. It's pale without being totally white, just a hint of warmth. It's slightly lighter than my skin and brightens perfectly. I was worried it would be dry and chalky but it's a smooth matte, not as creamy as the matte2 but it's a beautiful example of a MAC matte finish. Very pigmented. Great staple.

on 10/31/2015 7:16:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

For at least half of the year, I always use NYX Nude Matte in Lap Dance (slightly yellow toned nude) as my wash/highlight shade. But in deep fall and winter, I tend to take my makeup to a more plum, purple, very cool place & my skin lightens up a touch-loses a touch of warmth. Then all of a sudden, my precious Lap Dance, looks a little off. Not bad, but not as perfect as usual. Enter MAC Vanilla eye shadow. Vanilla, on me, is almost my winter skin color. A whiteish toned beige with some pink to it. Sometimes Shroom will work with some of my fall earthy looks, but it can looks a touch greige with my plum, berry looks. Vanilla gives me that perfect final touch (brow bone & as a wash) with my fall/winter makeup looks that I get with Lap Dance all spring and summer. When I am in my full on ice princess winter makeup, Vanilla is perfection! If there were two non cream eye shadows I would recommend to anyone with my coloring (nw20, deep winter, almost black hair, brown eyes) it would be NYX Lap Dance and MAC Vanilla.

Now heads up, if you are very yellow toned or much darker, Vanilla could look a little too light for a browbone wash and be taking you into that bad place (if this is you, you really need NYX Lap Dance :). But for this pale girl this color is a favorite.

on 10/30/2015 9:15:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Too stark white for my liking. I went in the Mac store for Blanc Type but they didn't have in stock. The lady told me try Vanilla but I regret purchasing this since I never use this shadow. Eventually threw it away.

on 3/3/2015 3:07:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

My Vanilla was creamy, smooth, and pigmented. I purchased both this and Blanc Type, and when I saw how similar they looked on the eye, I preferred Blanc Type. In comparison, Blanc Type is more pigmented and creamier. Vanilla is slightly whiter with very subtle pink undertones. Blanc Type was not as stark and the slightly more golden undertones made it more flattering on me. However, Vanilla is fantastic and works well especially with pink/plum/purple looks.

on 10/23/2014 3:13:00 PM

My 1st ever MAC shadow! Have had it about 10 years.... No lie and I still haven't hit pan! I don't use it everyday so maybe that's why! It's a gorgeous inner eye matte highlight shade and for the brow bone. I like shimmery shadows so it's nice to use matte elsewhere! A definite staple for your kit!

on 8/30/2014 2:00:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Coarse

Colour pay off of this eyeshadow isn't great but as I use it as a browbone highlight most times - it doesn't bother me too much. I prefer Brule but Vanilla is a great colour for darker skin complexions too.

on 8/15/2014 12:24:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

This has been my HG brow highlight for years and years. It is slightly lighter than my pale skin tone and blends out even the boldest of looks seamlessly. It's a velvet finish, but this reads totally matte on me. A smooth, buttery, blendable matte - which is ideal for me since I do not want any shimmer on my already predominate brow bone. This shade is also amazing for brightening up my lid. My eyes are deep set and lightening up my lid really opens up my eyes. I use this as a wash and pop a contour color just above the crease and my eyes look lifted and awake. I've hit pan on Vanilla over and over and over.