Merle Norman Powder Base

Filtered by eye Color : Green

4.2

Zinc Oxide (CI 77947), Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Water (Aqua), Paraffin, Beeswax (Cera Alba), Iron Oxides (CI 77489, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Fragrance (Parfum), Lecithin, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Talc, Sodium Borate 120905

this stuff is amazing, the coverage is not extreme but it transforms and beautifies the face in a very natural and glowing way if used with a brush

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

I am a third generation MN wearer. My Grandmother now deceased (when it became available to her), my other who is 83 and I who just turned 61 have used this our entire lives. I will never change as long as its made. I did summer work for my local MN Studio for years. All three of us look 15 to 20 years younger than we are. It's like a balm to our skins. I know all skin is different and ours are too but it is wonderful for us. We live in the deep south and this stuff stays PUT no sweating it off it looks just as good when we take it off as when we put it on. They are working hard to overcome the "old lady" image but I'm telling you they have the best foundations and powders in the world. If you don't want to "look" like an "old lady" use this stuff. They have samples for you to use at home to find out what your best shade is and once you find it it's great! I know Sephora and Ulta and all those stores offer thousands of great products but don't PASS up the MN Studio without giving it a shot!

It's basically a colored zinc oxide! You put it on a baby's bottom to prevent and heal diaper rash. Why not on your face? It is also a great sunscreen. There are no other foundations that I know of that are actually good for your skin. A frequently read comment is that the writer knows an elderly woman who has used this product all her life and has beautiful skin. There's a reason for that! I obviously love this product. I have tried many others but always come back to this. It is great for Rosecea! It calms the skin and covers the redness. It is less expensive than most foundations even others in the MN line. And it is made in the US!!! For some reason, most SA don't "push" this product so you may have to ask for it specifically.
I apply it with a damp sponge--no streaks.
I am sorry to say that my latest purchase of Powderbase does not have the same smell. It is still pleasant but much diminished. I loved the old fragrance more. I guess that too many people found it to be too strong. Oh well, at least they are listening to the customer!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse

This product was very nostalgic to me - this and the Miracol mask. When I was a teenager in the 60's I was fascinated with Merle Norman. At that time I could only afford Woolworth cosmetics and was always on the hunt for acne products or "medicated" makeups. My skin was crazy oily with breakouts in the T zone. I lived in suburban Chicago with high humidity and no A/C in our house. At high school I would sit with a couple of "older" students in the cafeteria before the first bell rang. One of them wore the Powder Base, liquid eyeliner and some cream blush from Merle Norman, which she would apply while we waited for the first bell. She didn't have oily skin like I did and would smooth it on. I had a unique fragrance, but the creamy consistency scared me off. I have always been fascinated with makeup, watching women apply makeup, seeing what products they use, and the transformative power of makeup. When I got older (my 20's), I think I tried the Powder Base again, but I can't remember with what results. I became "obsessed" with it again, now that my skin is no longer oily and I actually prefer creamy foundations. I live in the SF Bay Area now, and Merle Norman is not so easy to find now that I no longer live in the "burbs". I found a store and purchased the Powder Base in Porcelain and the Miracol liquid mask, so have recently started using it. The smell/fragrance is the same and takes me back. The price is very reasonable ($20) for the amount of product. My Powder Base's packaging does not match the photos on the web; it has a plain white base and a plain silver tone top....no labels or letters or insignias or design of any kind. Maybe franchisees have the option of selling cheap containers vs fancy ones??? Oh well. The first time I wore it, I went to an upscale restaurant and sat at the counter. Two attractive, well-dressed women and a man were seated next to me. One of the women complemented my nail polish and asked what color it was; the other woman said "I wanted to complement your skin; you complexion looks beautiful!" Whoa Maybe I need to work this stuff into the "rotation" of Giorgio Armani Maestro, and MAC cream foundation more often. I use my fingers to put it on. A little goes a long way and it smooths on easily. It doesn't look or feel heavy, but somehow does manage to conceal imperfections. I need to figure out how much moisturizer to use with it because I don't want to look shiny. I don't use powder. In some of the reviews I noticed that people didn't understand why it was called "Powder Base"...wondering if it was a creme to powder formulation. It is simply a base for powder, but in my case it is just a canvas for blush and eye makeup. When I apply this, the scent of the product remains on my skin; this might be off-putting for some if they don't like (this) fragrance. I am going to start with 3 lippies, and will update it after I have worn it a few more times and under different conditions: heat, cold, less moisturizer, more moisturizer, during and after exercise class.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

I found this review completely by accident. I don't remember how I stumbled upon it, but I was very intrigued.

I have very oily and acne prone skin, but now, in my forties, I am also dealing with the issues that come with aging skin; dryness, loss of luminosity, uneven tone and texture, fine lines...and unfortunately, foundations formulated for oily skin exacerbate all those issues. It's been a challenge finding something that meets the needs of both oily and aging skin.

So as I said, I stumbled upon this review and my interest was piqued. As it happens, there is a Merle Norman boutique very close to my workplace, so I stopped in to give it a looksee. The SA was helpful but not overbearing. She made several suggestions, but ultimately I did decide to try the powder base. I was a little skeptical as it seemed very emollient...verging on greasy. But because of the healing properties it purportedly has and the non chemical sun protection (I HATE foundations with chemical sunscreens) as well as the fact that they have a very liberal return policy, I decided to risk it.

As I was applying, my skepticism was unabated. It seemed very, very dewy and didn't seem to set. It looked shiny, even greasy. I was pretty sure that I had made a grave mistake. But as it sat on my skin, it just kind of...disappeared. It like...melted and became one with my skin. It was SO amazingly natural. Even the color, which I initally thought was too dark, was absolutely perfect. I did set with powder, which minimized the shininess, but still left a nice, natural luminosity.

As for how it stood up to my oily skin, amazingly, I did not have to powder for about 4 hours. And then, it really didn't get greasy and gross, just a little dewy. I blotted and was just fine. The product did not break own or become streaky or patchy. After 8 hours, I still looked fresh and natural. I was suitably impressed. I would have expected such an emollient product to leave me dripping with oil in an hour or two, but it didn't. That is HUGE.

Coverage is what I would consider medium, but it can easily be built up without cakiness. I have a few dark spots that it covered easily with just a few extra dabs with my sponge. The best part is that you can achieve wonderful results and good coverage with very little product.

The fragrance is a little strong, yes. But it's not altogether unpleasant. I've used foundations that had a very heavy chemical/paint smell, but that is not the case with this. If I had to describe it I would say it's more of a heavy floral smell. For the first hour it seemed very pronounced and then I didn't notice it any more. It's not a deal breaker for me.

I've only worn this for two days, so I can't comment on the healing properties but I am really, really impressed with the finish, the coverage, the natural appearance, and the lasting power. I think I'm sold.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I own three Merle foundations and like them all. I have Aquabalance, Lasting and Powderbase. All my Merle SA's kept pushing the other foundations on me but I finally tried this and love it. I paid $16.99 for this and it is worth the money. I have pale, dry skin and this does everything I want. I particularly like that it is moisturizing but stays all day. It isn't marketed for long-wear but I can see it washing off when I cleanse at night. Also, I use retin-a twice a week and this limits the peeling associated with that. This may be old school but it is worth a try. I love that it is so cheap but looks wonderful on. It holds it own against the other two foundations I use. I will say that I have yet to try a bad Merle foundation. The only drawback it that my color, ivory, is a tad dark. I use L10 in Aquabalance and Cream in Lasting. Both of the other colors are a perfect match.

I have a love/hate relationship with this powder base.
LOVE:
*The scent-and I dont know why.Its a sweet medicinal smell that's vintage like. Not floral at all...maybe cause its different. It doesn't last
*The zinc oxide is a great UVA blocker since I cant use chemical sunscreens, this is an added benefit.
*If I start to see a pimple come up, I wear this and by the next day its gone. Works better than acne medicine for me.
*The jar-simple black and white and retro looking. No printed lettering
looks great on the vanity.
HATE:
*I have winter dry skin right now, so I thought with the mineral oil this has in it, it would be emollient. It goes on that way but 3 hours later I have dry patches on my cheeks/chin/mouth. I've come to the conclusion that its the high amount of zinc. Did some research and sure enough zinc has absorbing properties-which explains why it does so well with occasional breakouts.
*The Alabaster beige I was matched with does not quite match my NC25. Its the right color just the wrong tone, but I can offset with powder/blush, except it makes me even more dry.
*Settles into my pores, so not liking the overall finish, but that could be because it makes me so parched.

This jar will last forever I'm sure, since I'm really only using once in awhile when I see a flare up. I will revisit in the warmer months and see if it makes me too dry then...I have a feeling it'll do great when I get oily in the summer. Zinc is a remarkable mineral!

I have been a Merle Norman client for years, but this is the first time I have written a review about a product and am doing so because people need to understand a little bit about this product before buying it.

I am now closing in on 30 and have been using Merle Norman products for the last 6 years since WORKING FOR THE COMPANY shortly after graduating college.

First, you must know that I have an oily t-zone and moderately dry cheeks...the ultimate "combination skin" and acne.

Powder base is by far my favorite Merle Norma foundation. I am not saying that the others are not wonderful, but this product is vastly different than most foundations you will find currently on the market.

Like other brands, most Merle Norman foundations are now oil free or designed to allow the skin to breath and reduce breakouts. Powder Base was Merle Norman's original foundation and contains mineral oil and zinc oxide.

What you must realize is that "mineral oil" in a product does not ultimately mean "acne" if, like me, you are prone to acne breakouts. However, most foundations containing oil will increase acne breakouts because the oil clogs pores.

The reason Powder Base can improve redness, and in some cases, like mine, help to reduce and heal acne (even hormonal acne ladies) is because of the high concentration of the Zinc Oxide.

Regardless of the mineral oil, the Zinc Oxide level in this foundation fights skin irritation and is a natural acne medication as well as sunblock. Zinc is a critical mineral needed by the body that we rarely get enough of through diet. Though professional dermatologists and skin researchers debate over the effectiveness of Zinc to treat acne or heal the skin, I can only speak for myself that it worked for me.

After trying prescription treatments, over the counter treatments and expensive acne skincare products, for the first time since puberty I have my acne under control.

Do not take my word on this alone. No foundation is for everyone. A drugstore brand or alternate Merle Norman foundation may still be your best option. Still, ask for a few "bubble samples" of this foundation from Merle Norman and try it before buying it or dismissing it.

Also, do not apply with a brush. Yes, the consultants at Merle Norman are taught frequently to use brushes because fingers and sponges soak up product and are less sanitary if not washed or discarded respectively. This product is thick but can be applied very lightly with buildable coverage that is difficult to achieve using a brush. Blotting lightly with a tissue will remove any excessive amount of foundation if applied to heavily.

During the summer, the humidity can cause this foundation to feel even heavier. Do not rely on this product to cover blemishes in humid weather. It will feel slightly cake-y. Still, with a light hand, even in the summer, this product will feel similar to any other sunblock and will offer a "natural" finish rather than full coverage.

I hope this information has helped those of you who are still debating purchasing this product or those who have already purchased it and are disappointed. I apologize to those of you who had negative experiences with your consultants. If used correctly, many of you may find that you like this product more than you expect.

Enjoy!

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

This was the first makeup I ever used -- it didn't break me out so I used it all through my teens and 20s and off and on through my 30s. When Bare Minerals came out, I switched to that, but now in my mid 40s using a powder on my very dry skin in the winter doesn't seem (or look) like such a good idea, so I went back to Powder Base.

I use the Porcelain shade. (Take note that even though the shades look dark in the jar, they don't look dark on your face.) This blends right into my fair skin. I use just a little bit and it gives good, soft coverage and you can barely tell I have makeup on. I love the natural finish -- it's not shiny, it's not matte -- it looks like good skin. Just remember to use only a little bit. I rub it in with my hands to make sure there's no extra makeup stuck in the creases, and it looks great and feels great. It's good to be back!

Have used power base for years and am frankly amazed by all the fuss about the fragrance. I kind of like it and what little frangrace there is dissipates as soon as it dries. The coverage is amazing; the finish is soft; and it matches my fair skin to a T. I use the Alabaster Beige or the Ivory. I honestly don't use it during the summer because of the humidity and the God-awful heat but the other three seasons of the year that's what I'm wearing and I get people that tell me what beautiful skin I have. You have to use a light touch when applying it or it can get goopy but that's what makes that little pot last so long; it doesn't take very much to do the job. It's been a cornerstone of MN for years because it's that good.