Merle Norman Powder Base

Filtered by skin tone : Medium

4.6

Zinc Oxide (CI 77947), Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Water (Aqua), Paraffin, Beeswax (Cera Alba), Iron Oxides (CI 77489, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Fragrance (Parfum), Lecithin, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Talc, Sodium Borate 120905

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Have used this foundation off and on since high school. Always go back to it..especially when my sensitive skin has a rosacea flare up. The zinc in the formula is very soothing and healing. Love it!

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

This stuff is just amazing! I've tried to make friends with it a few times over the years with varying results, but now I'm hooked. It may not keep me from checking out a new foundation every once in a while, but the hunts and any serious straying should be over!

Once upon a time, I tried a foundation from Gerda Spillmann. It was gorgeous, but did a number on my eyes. That was many years ago, but it's still my standard of comparison. And Powder Base comes pretty close, especially now that I've discovered a few tricks.

I apply it with a barely damp Beauty Blender, though if you don't mind cleaning brushes, it also looks lovely using the Urban Decay Optical Blurring Brush. It has enough coverage to work as a concealer, too. It can be used with or without powder. On my VERY combination skin I prefer it without. The biggest trick is to blot it after a few minutes. I just use folded toilet paper. What comes off on the paper is a little horrifying--oily tinted residue. But this blotting makes it look natural even in daylight (and the rear view mirror), and makes it last, with or without powder. My makeup goes on by 7:30am, and doesn't get taken off until sometime between 11 and midnight. And it' still there, even without powder, and the only touch up may be another tissue blot. Not only does it come off easily with the Clarisonic, it also rinses clean from the bristles.

Do not panic when you see the color in the pan. Mine looks so wrong--and nothing like the colors of others that work. But when I'm rested (I.e., when my skin is fairly smooth) I can actually have difficulty seeing where I've already applied it! When I'm finished, it may look a little bit greasy, but the blot takes care of that and makes it just about invisible. Somehow it still provides good coverage. Magic, I tell you. In a zillion shades and less than 20 bucks.

Update April2018: Not currently using, but only because I needed a different shade and I just don't like the MN studio where we live now. I'd happily order from the previous place if I were getting the same color, but not being able to try it on is a problem.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I have oily skin and, all though this product is made for those with drier skins, I use it because of the great coverage I get. I'm at the pool alot so right now I'm wearing Golden Birch, but in the winter I usually wear the Alabaster. It is the cheapest fdnt that MN sells, I believe, paying around $18 for it. A little bit goes a long way, so this little pot will last a very long time. I use a sponge to apply...just tapping my sponge on the top of the product will do; no need to "rub" into it or you'll have way too much. I then set it with a dusting of the MN pwdr fdnt. This is always one that I go back to after the urge to try other products.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

This was the first makeup I ever used -- it didn't break me out so I used it all through my teens and 20s and off and on through my 30s. When Bare Minerals came out, I switched to that, but now in my mid 40s using a powder on my very dry skin in the winter doesn't seem (or look) like such a good idea, so I went back to Powder Base.

I use the Porcelain shade. (Take note that even though the shades look dark in the jar, they don't look dark on your face.) This blends right into my fair skin. I use just a little bit and it gives good, soft coverage and you can barely tell I have makeup on. I love the natural finish -- it's not shiny, it's not matte -- it looks like good skin. Just remember to use only a little bit. I rub it in with my hands to make sure there's no extra makeup stuck in the creases, and it looks great and feels great. It's good to be back!

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I bought this a couple of days ago based on the reviews here. I was not disappointed! The scent is a bit overwhelming and the packaging a bit bland but inside is a pretty good product. I had been using some Luxiva foundation with that HC something, but it is not covering as much as I would like, even with powder foundation dusted on top. Might be better for winter. Anyhoo, this stuff really is thick and with a sponge and gently lotioned skin, this cover pretty well! I get itchy from added sunscreen and the other (timeless maybe?) Foundation I had purchased made me break out with whiteheads. So far, this is has been a dream! No breakouts, itchy or red skin from the foundation. The SA at the Merle Norman in my area are great-they were patient and she showed me every combination of powder/cream/liquid foundation. She pulled this out last time but I didn't but it. I have to laugh, because I work in a prison, and the overwhelming fragrance doesn't really bother me. As a matter of fact it is sometimes refreshing! Will comntinue to use it up, and may repurchase.