Merle Norman Powder Base

Filtered by hair type : Wavy

3.5

Zinc Oxide (CI 77947), Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Water (Aqua), Paraffin, Beeswax (Cera Alba), Iron Oxides (CI 77489, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Fragrance (Parfum), Lecithin, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Talc, Sodium Borate 120905

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

Well this is wonderful stuff for those with Rosacea...I had tried this before, about 10 years ago, and wasn't crazy about it, but liked it because its main ingredient is zinc, which is a sunscreen and healing to the skin. Application was my problem, wished I had known that then, but glad I gave it another chance. I use a sponge wedge and apply by gently dabbing it on small areas of my face, starting in the center. I do not rub,only use a dabbing motion and blend this way. This makes your foundation smooth and even looking and doesn't irritate sensitive skin.It covers well and hides redness well. Ivory shade has a yellow tone, so is good for hiding any redness you may have. I don't use a finishing powder, I just blot with a tissue and works great...This also helps keep your face moist and soft. I remove with Jergens Face Cream (another oldie I used in my teens) I found at Wal Mart. My skin is loving it and I am paying much less than I paid for my previous cosmetics...

UPDATE: Still loving this foundation, great for dry skin...Also have started using a foundation brush for a velvet like finish ;-) couldn't be more pleased with a healing type foundation with excellent coverage, a win, win.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I got this in Ivory and it was too dark! Which is weird cause I have other MN foundations in Ivory that match. So idk whats going on with that. I guess full coverage works for some people but it just doesn't for me.. I feel like its too cakey. I don't really llike anything about it.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

This was the first makeup I ever used -- it didn't break me out so I used it all through my teens and 20s and off and on through my 30s. When Bare Minerals came out, I switched to that, but now in my mid 40s using a powder on my very dry skin in the winter doesn't seem (or look) like such a good idea, so I went back to Powder Base.

I use the Porcelain shade. (Take note that even though the shades look dark in the jar, they don't look dark on your face.) This blends right into my fair skin. I use just a little bit and it gives good, soft coverage and you can barely tell I have makeup on. I love the natural finish -- it's not shiny, it's not matte -- it looks like good skin. Just remember to use only a little bit. I rub it in with my hands to make sure there's no extra makeup stuck in the creases, and it looks great and feels great. It's good to be back!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I had the displeasure of trying this on my last trip to Merle Norman. I envy those who say their local SA's are nice and helpful. MINE, on the other hand, are pushy, "older" and think they know more about my skin than I do. I stopped in for a "quick" purchase (yeah, we all know how those go). I was going to go one shade darker in the Luxiva Ultra Powder foundation. I've been using Ultra Fair, the lightest shade, and heard that "Cameo" was more yellow-toned. Well, it's not. It's pink like every other MN foundation there is. So, my beloved Luxiva powder is no longer in the picture. I'd heard great things about the Luxiva Lasting liquid, so I asked about it. The SA gave me that "Tsk, tsk" look and said the Powder Base would be better for me. She whipped out this thick cream and applied it to my face with a foundation brush and I almost gagged. I thought my luxiva powder was strong, but THIS stuff smells like Foundation Eau de Toilette! It was also VERY heavy and thick. It did cover nicely, but it felt horrible on my skin. To make matters worse, my skin developed some huge cysts within an HOUR of application. And the SA said the Zinc Oxide in this would actually HELP with irritation!