Merle Norman Powder Base

Filtered by skin tone : Fair-Medium

Zinc Oxide (CI 77947), Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Water (Aqua), Paraffin, Beeswax (Cera Alba), Iron Oxides (CI 77489, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Fragrance (Parfum), Lecithin, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Talc, Sodium Borate 120905

It's basically a colored zinc oxide! You put it on a baby's bottom to prevent and heal diaper rash. Why not on your face? It is also a great sunscreen. There are no other foundations that I know of that are actually good for your skin. A frequently read comment is that the writer knows an elderly woman who has used this product all her life and has beautiful skin. There's a reason for that! I obviously love this product. I have tried many others but always come back to this. It is great for Rosecea! It calms the skin and covers the redness. It is less expensive than most foundations even others in the MN line. And it is made in the US!!! For some reason, most SA don't "push" this product so you may have to ask for it specifically.
I apply it with a damp sponge--no streaks.
I am sorry to say that my latest purchase of Powderbase does not have the same smell. It is still pleasant but much diminished. I loved the old fragrance more. I guess that too many people found it to be too strong. Oh well, at least they are listening to the customer!

I am 50 years old and have been using select Merle Norman products, since I was 12 years old. (I have used Merle Norman "cold cream" every night for 38 years and it shows.) I have rosacea and Merle Norman Powder Base is the ONLY thing that I can put on my skin, when it flairs. I do use Chanels' Lingerie de Peau when all is well but I always have powder base on hand. Great Product!!! Very healing and great coverage...

I can't believe that I'm about to review this. I used to cuss this foundation. For reasons that won't be detailed here. However, I have been on the hunt for an HG foundation. Who would have thunk it!? As a previous reviewer mentioned, I tried Gerda Spillman before. It was an excellent foundation. However, it never seemed to provide the exact, adjustable coverage I need. I decided to give this a try because it is inexpensive and because no one has ever had more perfect skin than the stars in old movies, despite all the cigarettes they smoked. Their skin was perfect because of foundations like this one. It has literally been on the market that long. It was $16 at my local studio. I applied it over Tarte primer (the one that minimizes pores) using a foundation brush. I then used silica powder over it. My skin looks fabulous. I may try a Beauty Blender at some point as well. Didn't even bother with a concealer.

The colors are scary in the container. I'm an 01 in Guerlain Lingerie de Peau and I wear Porcelain in Merle Norman Powder Base. My skin is combo/dry lately. Oilier skin folks likely will not love it, but anyone can try a sample of any shade first. Glad I gave it a try. I look refreshed.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Finding this product was a huge score for me.

My good friend from college always had that beautiful, I-wish-I-looked-like-you skin. I used to eye her makeup bag when she would be getting ready with me to go out so I could see how she achieved the Dewey-but-not-greasy look. One day I finally just asked her and found out what it was. "Powder base?" I said. "You mean.. Old lady makeup?!" Apparently her mother and grandmother habe always used it and had beautiful skin. I had to have it. You can imagine my excitement when I picked up some powder base (ivory) and realized it was only $16.99. That is cheaper than any of their other foundations! i began to worry that it wouldnt work as well. My friend applies hers with a wet foundation brush, so I did the same. Sure enough, I was able to get that gorgeous Dewey skin.

The real plus with this stuff is that, even though it is a very moisturizing foundation, it does NOT break me out. And believe me, my sensitive skin will find any and every reason to break out. This stuff has actually helped my acne due to the zinc oxide in it!!! Total score. I will repurchase again and again. :)

I have very sensitive skin and have a hard time finding foundations that do not cause reactions. I worked for Merle Norman as a teen and wore the powder base back in those days, even when my skin was quite oily. I eventually became a skin care professional and sold and used much more expensive products but when my skin is giving me problems I often return to Merle Norman. Years ago their oil free moisturizing lotion was one of the few that was approved by my dermatologist and yet felt like it did something, I always keep it on hand. When my skin is reactive I get out my powder base, the zinc oxide in it calms it down well and if I wet my fingers and face slightly I can can a nice smooth finish. Not too heavy if you take your time, but if you want a very heavy coverage you can achieve it. This makeup has a great physical sunscreen in it, which is fantastic for those of us who are allergic to chemical sunscreens. The smell is a bit old fashioned and no one will be impressed by the label but it works well. Merle Norman also consistently matches my skin and that is not always possible in other lines.

I have a love/hate relationship with this powder base.
LOVE:
*The scent-and I dont know why.Its a sweet medicinal smell that's vintage like. Not floral at all...maybe cause its different. It doesn't last
*The zinc oxide is a great UVA blocker since I cant use chemical sunscreens, this is an added benefit.
*If I start to see a pimple come up, I wear this and by the next day its gone. Works better than acne medicine for me.
*The jar-simple black and white and retro looking. No printed lettering
looks great on the vanity.
HATE:
*I have winter dry skin right now, so I thought with the mineral oil this has in it, it would be emollient. It goes on that way but 3 hours later I have dry patches on my cheeks/chin/mouth. I've come to the conclusion that its the high amount of zinc. Did some research and sure enough zinc has absorbing properties-which explains why it does so well with occasional breakouts.
*The Alabaster beige I was matched with does not quite match my NC25. Its the right color just the wrong tone, but I can offset with powder/blush, except it makes me even more dry.
*Settles into my pores, so not liking the overall finish, but that could be because it makes me so parched.

This jar will last forever I'm sure, since I'm really only using once in awhile when I see a flare up. I will revisit in the warmer months and see if it makes me too dry then...I have a feeling it'll do great when I get oily in the summer. Zinc is a remarkable mineral!

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I got this in Ivory and it was too dark! Which is weird cause I have other MN foundations in Ivory that match. So idk whats going on with that. I guess full coverage works for some people but it just doesn't for me.. I feel like its too cakey. I don't really llike anything about it.

I can't believe I am actually writing a review for Powder Base, much less using it. This was my first exposure to Merle Norman foundations back in 1987 and at the time, I hated everything about it, the smell, the colors, the texture, just everything. Fast forward 22 years.....I just happened to stop by my Merle Norman studio to pick up some cleansing cream when just on impulse decided to try the powder base and got some samples as well. I love this stuff now, go figure. The shade ivory is perfect for my fair-medium skin, the coverage is great and after 12+ hours on my combination oily skin it still looks impeccable. I just used my regular light moisturizer under this and powdered with just a little Clinique face powder to set it and haven't had to retouch or blot all day long. I cannot believe that for a product that seems to have been around almost as long as dirt that this stuff is so good and so inexpensive. Will definitely buy the full size when my samples run out. A plus product for a very nice price.

I have sensitive oily skin and this make-up offers me the best ...moderate coverage and sunscreen...as it contains zinc oxide which is ok for sensitive skin..I have had skin cancer..and must do my best to protect my skin as much as possible..the average sunscreen will burn my skin ..this does not...the thing I dislike most..is when you walk in to most Merle Norman shops most will discourage you from buying this old tired and true formula..and try to sell you their newer stuff...full of chemicals and more expensive...I wish they would understand that this product is the only reason I have walked in to their shop and yes I do usually buy other things there..like the original cleansing cream in the BIG pink tub and Miracol lotion original formula...the other items in Merle Norman's original 3 steps to Beauty...it is really that simple..these are all you need and the price is reasonable..and your skin will thank you.. their translucent powder in the big pearl container with the gold cap is fabulous also...

This has got to be one of the worst foundations I've ever been stupid enough to put on my face. This crap broke me out HORRIBLY within about an hour of putting it on. Literally. Usually, if I have a reaction to foundation it's more of a gradual thing. I'll start noticing breakouts or itchiness within a few days, but with this it just happened so suddenly. One minute my skin was great, the next it was grosse. Couldn't believe my eyes. And the worst part is that two weeks later, it still hasn't fully healed. The only plus I'll give this stuff is that it has decent coverage, but it gets so oily so quickly it's not even worth it. If I wanted a greasy creamy coverage then I'd probably go back to using Cover FX, atleast that stuff didn't break me out. Oh, not to mention the SMELL. I mean, if you really want to smell like your grandmother's rear end then knock yourself out. Not for me though. WORST FOUNDATION EVER.