Merle Norman Powder Base

Filtered by skin type : Dry

Zinc Oxide (CI 77947), Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Water (Aqua), Paraffin, Beeswax (Cera Alba), Iron Oxides (CI 77489, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Fragrance (Parfum), Lecithin, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Talc, Sodium Borate 120905

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse

This product was very nostalgic to me - this and the Miracol mask. When I was a teenager in the 60's I was fascinated with Merle Norman. At that time I could only afford Woolworth cosmetics and was always on the hunt for acne products or "medicated" makeups. My skin was crazy oily with breakouts in the T zone. I lived in suburban Chicago with high humidity and no A/C in our house. At high school I would sit with a couple of "older" students in the cafeteria before the first bell rang. One of them wore the Powder Base, liquid eyeliner and some cream blush from Merle Norman, which she would apply while we waited for the first bell. She didn't have oily skin like I did and would smooth it on. I had a unique fragrance, but the creamy consistency scared me off. I have always been fascinated with makeup, watching women apply makeup, seeing what products they use, and the transformative power of makeup. When I got older (my 20's), I think I tried the Powder Base again, but I can't remember with what results. I became "obsessed" with it again, now that my skin is no longer oily and I actually prefer creamy foundations. I live in the SF Bay Area now, and Merle Norman is not so easy to find now that I no longer live in the "burbs". I found a store and purchased the Powder Base in Porcelain and the Miracol liquid mask, so have recently started using it. The smell/fragrance is the same and takes me back. The price is very reasonable ($20) for the amount of product. My Powder Base's packaging does not match the photos on the web; it has a plain white base and a plain silver tone top....no labels or letters or insignias or design of any kind. Maybe franchisees have the option of selling cheap containers vs fancy ones??? Oh well. The first time I wore it, I went to an upscale restaurant and sat at the counter. Two attractive, well-dressed women and a man were seated next to me. One of the women complemented my nail polish and asked what color it was; the other woman said "I wanted to complement your skin; you complexion looks beautiful!" Whoa Maybe I need to work this stuff into the "rotation" of Giorgio Armani Maestro, and MAC cream foundation more often. I use my fingers to put it on. A little goes a long way and it smooths on easily. It doesn't look or feel heavy, but somehow does manage to conceal imperfections. I need to figure out how much moisturizer to use with it because I don't want to look shiny. I don't use powder. In some of the reviews I noticed that people didn't understand why it was called "Powder Base"...wondering if it was a creme to powder formulation. It is simply a base for powder, but in my case it is just a canvas for blush and eye makeup. When I apply this, the scent of the product remains on my skin; this might be off-putting for some if they don't like (this) fragrance. I am going to start with 3 lippies, and will update it after I have worn it a few more times and under different conditions: heat, cold, less moisturizer, more moisturizer, during and after exercise class.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

This was the first makeup I ever used -- it didn't break me out so I used it all through my teens and 20s and off and on through my 30s. When Bare Minerals came out, I switched to that, but now in my mid 40s using a powder on my very dry skin in the winter doesn't seem (or look) like such a good idea, so I went back to Powder Base.

I use the Porcelain shade. (Take note that even though the shades look dark in the jar, they don't look dark on your face.) This blends right into my fair skin. I use just a little bit and it gives good, soft coverage and you can barely tell I have makeup on. I love the natural finish -- it's not shiny, it's not matte -- it looks like good skin. Just remember to use only a little bit. I rub it in with my hands to make sure there's no extra makeup stuck in the creases, and it looks great and feels great. It's good to be back!

Have used power base for years and am frankly amazed by all the fuss about the fragrance. I kind of like it and what little frangrace there is dissipates as soon as it dries. The coverage is amazing; the finish is soft; and it matches my fair skin to a T. I use the Alabaster Beige or the Ivory. I honestly don't use it during the summer because of the humidity and the God-awful heat but the other three seasons of the year that's what I'm wearing and I get people that tell me what beautiful skin I have. You have to use a light touch when applying it or it can get goopy but that's what makes that little pot last so long; it doesn't take very much to do the job. It's been a cornerstone of MN for years because it's that good.

Well - Here I am with my Merle Norman foundations again! Being a Merle Norman fan, I did not try this base because I thought for sure it would be an oily putty. I was wrong! It is quite sheer and the ivory matches my complexion exactly. Just a little dusting of powder, and I am set. It gives a natural, dewy look that is wonderful. I even like this more than the Lasting foundation. Of course, I still love my Luxiva powder foundation, but this combination is much like it.
So, go try this. It is a good price and this winter I plan to use it. What a treat to find that their first foundation is so very good. Oh yes, I forgot to mention, I use a little moisturizer under this. It just takes a small amount of this foundation with a bit of my Airspun powder on top. I think even oily skins could use this.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I love the coverage of this foundation. It is excellent if you like a very heavy coverage; However, why oh why does it have to dry as a powder? Once it dries it settles into every line and crease on your face. Its horrible. Too bad it doesn't have a dewy finish. And the color selection is HORRIBLE. everything is too orange or too pink!