Merle Norman Powder Base

Filtered by skin tone : Fair

4.2

Zinc Oxide (CI 77947), Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Water (Aqua), Paraffin, Beeswax (Cera Alba), Iron Oxides (CI 77489, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Fragrance (Parfum), Lecithin, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Talc, Sodium Borate 120905

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

Well this is wonderful stuff for those with Rosacea...I had tried this before, about 10 years ago, and wasn't crazy about it, but liked it because its main ingredient is zinc, which is a sunscreen and healing to the skin. Application was my problem, wished I had known that then, but glad I gave it another chance. I use a sponge wedge and apply by gently dabbing it on small areas of my face, starting in the center. I do not rub,only use a dabbing motion and blend this way. This makes your foundation smooth and even looking and doesn't irritate sensitive skin.It covers well and hides redness well. Ivory shade has a yellow tone, so is good for hiding any redness you may have. I don't use a finishing powder, I just blot with a tissue and works great...This also helps keep your face moist and soft. I remove with Jergens Face Cream (another oldie I used in my teens) I found at Wal Mart. My skin is loving it and I am paying much less than I paid for my previous cosmetics...

UPDATE: Still loving this foundation, great for dry skin...Also have started using a foundation brush for a velvet like finish ;-) couldn't be more pleased with a healing type foundation with excellent coverage, a win, win.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I really like the Merle Norman Powder Base. My only issue has been that my husband hates the smell of the product so I have had to cut down to using it only for special occasions. I never had an issue with the smell of the product. Now that the smell had been decreased I will go back to it full time.! :-) It covers better than any other product and feels good on the skin.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse

This product was very nostalgic to me - this and the Miracol mask. When I was a teenager in the 60's I was fascinated with Merle Norman. At that time I could only afford Woolworth cosmetics and was always on the hunt for acne products or "medicated" makeups. My skin was crazy oily with breakouts in the T zone. I lived in suburban Chicago with high humidity and no A/C in our house. At high school I would sit with a couple of "older" students in the cafeteria before the first bell rang. One of them wore the Powder Base, liquid eyeliner and some cream blush from Merle Norman, which she would apply while we waited for the first bell. She didn't have oily skin like I did and would smooth it on. I had a unique fragrance, but the creamy consistency scared me off. I have always been fascinated with makeup, watching women apply makeup, seeing what products they use, and the transformative power of makeup. When I got older (my 20's), I think I tried the Powder Base again, but I can't remember with what results. I became "obsessed" with it again, now that my skin is no longer oily and I actually prefer creamy foundations. I live in the SF Bay Area now, and Merle Norman is not so easy to find now that I no longer live in the "burbs". I found a store and purchased the Powder Base in Porcelain and the Miracol liquid mask, so have recently started using it. The smell/fragrance is the same and takes me back. The price is very reasonable ($20) for the amount of product. My Powder Base's packaging does not match the photos on the web; it has a plain white base and a plain silver tone top....no labels or letters or insignias or design of any kind. Maybe franchisees have the option of selling cheap containers vs fancy ones??? Oh well. The first time I wore it, I went to an upscale restaurant and sat at the counter. Two attractive, well-dressed women and a man were seated next to me. One of the women complemented my nail polish and asked what color it was; the other woman said "I wanted to complement your skin; you complexion looks beautiful!" Whoa Maybe I need to work this stuff into the "rotation" of Giorgio Armani Maestro, and MAC cream foundation more often. I use my fingers to put it on. A little goes a long way and it smooths on easily. It doesn't look or feel heavy, but somehow does manage to conceal imperfections. I need to figure out how much moisturizer to use with it because I don't want to look shiny. I don't use powder. In some of the reviews I noticed that people didn't understand why it was called "Powder Base"...wondering if it was a creme to powder formulation. It is simply a base for powder, but in my case it is just a canvas for blush and eye makeup. When I apply this, the scent of the product remains on my skin; this might be off-putting for some if they don't like (this) fragrance. I am going to start with 3 lippies, and will update it after I have worn it a few more times and under different conditions: heat, cold, less moisturizer, more moisturizer, during and after exercise class.

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

Update (12/27/2013): I've been using this all week now, and I love it!!! After a short time, it melds into my skin, and it doesn't get greasy or oily. My usually oily nose stays shine-free. No skin irritation or issues. At the end of the day, most of the makeup is still there to remove. So happy I found this again!

I am one of those that used Powder Base in my early 20's. That was over 40 years ago.

I've been through every kind of foundation over the years. Liquid, cream, powder, stick, spray-on, you name it. I've tried long-wearing, and haven't found one yet that lives up to it's reputation. I always wind up with a grease-slick of a nose, no matter what. I've yet to find a foundation that I couldn't give up.

I came here to read some reviews after realizing Powder Base is still in existence, and became curious about trying it again.

I swear, as emollient as this foundation is in the pot, it amazes me!!! It blends in easily, and there's loads of color shades. It does not get over oily/greasy, it has a lasting finish, and it doesn't seem to settle into lines. I have to say I'm fascinated with this foundation, and think it's a find beyond belief! I'm sold on Powder Base, and plan on sticking with it. What's old is new, as they say, and I can see why this has stood the test of time.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

I found this review completely by accident. I don't remember how I stumbled upon it, but I was very intrigued.

I have very oily and acne prone skin, but now, in my forties, I am also dealing with the issues that come with aging skin; dryness, loss of luminosity, uneven tone and texture, fine lines...and unfortunately, foundations formulated for oily skin exacerbate all those issues. It's been a challenge finding something that meets the needs of both oily and aging skin.

So as I said, I stumbled upon this review and my interest was piqued. As it happens, there is a Merle Norman boutique very close to my workplace, so I stopped in to give it a looksee. The SA was helpful but not overbearing. She made several suggestions, but ultimately I did decide to try the powder base. I was a little skeptical as it seemed very emollient...verging on greasy. But because of the healing properties it purportedly has and the non chemical sun protection (I HATE foundations with chemical sunscreens) as well as the fact that they have a very liberal return policy, I decided to risk it.

As I was applying, my skepticism was unabated. It seemed very, very dewy and didn't seem to set. It looked shiny, even greasy. I was pretty sure that I had made a grave mistake. But as it sat on my skin, it just kind of...disappeared. It like...melted and became one with my skin. It was SO amazingly natural. Even the color, which I initally thought was too dark, was absolutely perfect. I did set with powder, which minimized the shininess, but still left a nice, natural luminosity.

As for how it stood up to my oily skin, amazingly, I did not have to powder for about 4 hours. And then, it really didn't get greasy and gross, just a little dewy. I blotted and was just fine. The product did not break own or become streaky or patchy. After 8 hours, I still looked fresh and natural. I was suitably impressed. I would have expected such an emollient product to leave me dripping with oil in an hour or two, but it didn't. That is HUGE.

Coverage is what I would consider medium, but it can easily be built up without cakiness. I have a few dark spots that it covered easily with just a few extra dabs with my sponge. The best part is that you can achieve wonderful results and good coverage with very little product.

The fragrance is a little strong, yes. But it's not altogether unpleasant. I've used foundations that had a very heavy chemical/paint smell, but that is not the case with this. If I had to describe it I would say it's more of a heavy floral smell. For the first hour it seemed very pronounced and then I didn't notice it any more. It's not a deal breaker for me.

I've only worn this for two days, so I can't comment on the healing properties but I am really, really impressed with the finish, the coverage, the natural appearance, and the lasting power. I think I'm sold.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I own three Merle foundations and like them all. I have Aquabalance, Lasting and Powderbase. All my Merle SA's kept pushing the other foundations on me but I finally tried this and love it. I paid $16.99 for this and it is worth the money. I have pale, dry skin and this does everything I want. I particularly like that it is moisturizing but stays all day. It isn't marketed for long-wear but I can see it washing off when I cleanse at night. Also, I use retin-a twice a week and this limits the peeling associated with that. This may be old school but it is worth a try. I love that it is so cheap but looks wonderful on. It holds it own against the other two foundations I use. I will say that I have yet to try a bad Merle foundation. The only drawback it that my color, ivory, is a tad dark. I use L10 in Aquabalance and Cream in Lasting. Both of the other colors are a perfect match.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

This product covers everything, uneven skin tones really good. I have really dry, fair skin and it works really well for me. I have used this product for about 4 years now and I love it. Its really creamy and goes in well, just takes a few minutes to work it in well.

I have been a Merle Norman client for years, but this is the first time I have written a review about a product and am doing so because people need to understand a little bit about this product before buying it.

I am now closing in on 30 and have been using Merle Norman products for the last 6 years since WORKING FOR THE COMPANY shortly after graduating college.

First, you must know that I have an oily t-zone and moderately dry cheeks...the ultimate "combination skin" and acne.

Powder base is by far my favorite Merle Norma foundation. I am not saying that the others are not wonderful, but this product is vastly different than most foundations you will find currently on the market.

Like other brands, most Merle Norman foundations are now oil free or designed to allow the skin to breath and reduce breakouts. Powder Base was Merle Norman's original foundation and contains mineral oil and zinc oxide.

What you must realize is that "mineral oil" in a product does not ultimately mean "acne" if, like me, you are prone to acne breakouts. However, most foundations containing oil will increase acne breakouts because the oil clogs pores.

The reason Powder Base can improve redness, and in some cases, like mine, help to reduce and heal acne (even hormonal acne ladies) is because of the high concentration of the Zinc Oxide.

Regardless of the mineral oil, the Zinc Oxide level in this foundation fights skin irritation and is a natural acne medication as well as sunblock. Zinc is a critical mineral needed by the body that we rarely get enough of through diet. Though professional dermatologists and skin researchers debate over the effectiveness of Zinc to treat acne or heal the skin, I can only speak for myself that it worked for me.

After trying prescription treatments, over the counter treatments and expensive acne skincare products, for the first time since puberty I have my acne under control.

Do not take my word on this alone. No foundation is for everyone. A drugstore brand or alternate Merle Norman foundation may still be your best option. Still, ask for a few "bubble samples" of this foundation from Merle Norman and try it before buying it or dismissing it.

Also, do not apply with a brush. Yes, the consultants at Merle Norman are taught frequently to use brushes because fingers and sponges soak up product and are less sanitary if not washed or discarded respectively. This product is thick but can be applied very lightly with buildable coverage that is difficult to achieve using a brush. Blotting lightly with a tissue will remove any excessive amount of foundation if applied to heavily.

During the summer, the humidity can cause this foundation to feel even heavier. Do not rely on this product to cover blemishes in humid weather. It will feel slightly cake-y. Still, with a light hand, even in the summer, this product will feel similar to any other sunblock and will offer a "natural" finish rather than full coverage.

I hope this information has helped those of you who are still debating purchasing this product or those who have already purchased it and are disappointed. I apologize to those of you who had negative experiences with your consultants. If used correctly, many of you may find that you like this product more than you expect.

Enjoy!

I love the translucent powder. I've had mine (the big pearl pink container) for years and I use it all the time! It is truly the best for concealing dark circles. Use your concealer like usual, load this powder on a small brush and then gently wipe away with a fluffy brush. Voila!! It matches every skin tone....my HG loose powder!

Have used power base for years and am frankly amazed by all the fuss about the fragrance. I kind of like it and what little frangrace there is dissipates as soon as it dries. The coverage is amazing; the finish is soft; and it matches my fair skin to a T. I use the Alabaster Beige or the Ivory. I honestly don't use it during the summer because of the humidity and the God-awful heat but the other three seasons of the year that's what I'm wearing and I get people that tell me what beautiful skin I have. You have to use a light touch when applying it or it can get goopy but that's what makes that little pot last so long; it doesn't take very much to do the job. It's been a cornerstone of MN for years because it's that good.