Merle Norman Powder Base

4.2

Zinc Oxide (CI 77947), Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Water (Aqua), Paraffin, Beeswax (Cera Alba), Iron Oxides (CI 77489, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Fragrance (Parfum), Lecithin, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Talc, Sodium Borate 120905

This has got to be one of the worst foundations I've ever been stupid enough to put on my face. This crap broke me out HORRIBLY within about an hour of putting it on. Literally. Usually, if I have a reaction to foundation it's more of a gradual thing. I'll start noticing breakouts or itchiness within a few days, but with this it just happened so suddenly. One minute my skin was great, the next it was grosse. Couldn't believe my eyes. And the worst part is that two weeks later, it still hasn't fully healed. The only plus I'll give this stuff is that it has decent coverage, but it gets so oily so quickly it's not even worth it. If I wanted a greasy creamy coverage then I'd probably go back to using Cover FX, atleast that stuff didn't break me out. Oh, not to mention the SMELL. I mean, if you really want to smell like your grandmother's rear end then knock yourself out. Not for me though. WORST FOUNDATION EVER.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I got this in Ivory and it was too dark! Which is weird cause I have other MN foundations in Ivory that match. So idk whats going on with that. I guess full coverage works for some people but it just doesn't for me.. I feel like its too cakey. I don't really llike anything about it.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I had the displeasure of trying this on my last trip to Merle Norman. I envy those who say their local SA's are nice and helpful. MINE, on the other hand, are pushy, "older" and think they know more about my skin than I do. I stopped in for a "quick" purchase (yeah, we all know how those go). I was going to go one shade darker in the Luxiva Ultra Powder foundation. I've been using Ultra Fair, the lightest shade, and heard that "Cameo" was more yellow-toned. Well, it's not. It's pink like every other MN foundation there is. So, my beloved Luxiva powder is no longer in the picture. I'd heard great things about the Luxiva Lasting liquid, so I asked about it. The SA gave me that "Tsk, tsk" look and said the Powder Base would be better for me. She whipped out this thick cream and applied it to my face with a foundation brush and I almost gagged. I thought my luxiva powder was strong, but THIS stuff smells like Foundation Eau de Toilette! It was also VERY heavy and thick. It did cover nicely, but it felt horrible on my skin. To make matters worse, my skin developed some huge cysts within an HOUR of application. And the SA said the Zinc Oxide in this would actually HELP with irritation!

UPDATE (5-23-09) ----- Okay, this worked nicely in the winter, but since the warm weather started this has been breaking me out. This foundation does not seem to allow my skin to sweat properly (seems to trap-in the sweat) and is causing a lot of breakouts. So obviously it's only good in the winter or on dry skin. I'm lowering my rating to 2 lippies because this really works poorly in the warm months. ----------------- (Original Review) - Shockingly, this stuff is pretty darn good. I'm surprised because I have oily skin, and this "Powder Base" foundation has mineral oil in it and is quite thick and creamy .... things that I normally avoid like the plague. But I needed something with powerful SPF, and although this does not have the spf on the label (originally created in the 1930's before spf), the main ingredient is Titanium Dioxide (physical spf) and the sales manager told me the spf is around 50+. So this is a complete sunblock. As such, you do NOT need to slather this stuff on .... a light layer is all you need to block the UV. (also, just FYI, this stuff was not even on display, I had to ask for it, and the sales lady went and got it from the drawer they kept it in. Poor, sad Powder Base, all alone and neglected....... :( ...... So if you don't see it, ask for it).

Anyway, I tried a sample of this stuff first. I did NOT have high hopes, but since I was at Merle Norman anyway purchasing my beloved Luxiva Powder Foundation, I figured why not try a sample of the Powder Base. I took home 2 color samples ... Ivory (lightest warm shade) and Porcelain (lightest cool shade). The Ivory matches my skin color very nicely.

I took a makeup sponge and dabbed the cream onto my face in various spots first, then I blended them all around into a light layer. I noticed the cream did blend very smoothly and nicely, and the coverage was a nice medium coverage (adding more would easily make this heavy coverage if a person needed more). I waited a minute or two for it to dry. It dried nicely too ... nice and natural .... did not stay "dewy" or anything (which I hate). Then I followed with a dusting of my Luxiva Powder Foundation (which is my HG for oil-absorbing powder). The finish was perfect. Just perfect. I even used this under my eyes as a concealor (a tad bit thicker than I did on the rest of my face for greater coverage and with no powder on top). It really created a beautiful finish. But I wanted to see if it would last (or if it would make me a grease-ball by afternoon) and if it would break me out.

Well, the finish lasted a good 8 hours in perfect condition. Then I noticed a small bit of shine and blotted before dinner. Perfect again for the rest of the night. *shocked* ...... at the end of the day this stuff still looked great. Impressive.

Then, I expected total break-out city. But it never came. Instead, my face actually feels softer and looks nice and even-toned. *shocked again*.

Now, because of my oily skin, I do NOT wear any moisturizer under this foundation. I use a few drops of my Caudalie vino serum (for treatment benefits) plus an eye cream. That's it. I let those dry, and then I apply the Powder Base foundation, followed by my Luxiva Powder.

So ..... in summary, I am very surprised that I am giving this 5 lippies. But it's good stuff. Love the finish. Love the spf. Love it all. :)

Would definitely repurchase. But since I use such a small amount, the container will probably last me forever. Oh, and the price is $16.00, which is pretty good.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse

This product was very nostalgic to me - this and the Miracol mask. When I was a teenager in the 60's I was fascinated with Merle Norman. At that time I could only afford Woolworth cosmetics and was always on the hunt for acne products or "medicated" makeups. My skin was crazy oily with breakouts in the T zone. I lived in suburban Chicago with high humidity and no A/C in our house. At high school I would sit with a couple of "older" students in the cafeteria before the first bell rang. One of them wore the Powder Base, liquid eyeliner and some cream blush from Merle Norman, which she would apply while we waited for the first bell. She didn't have oily skin like I did and would smooth it on. I had a unique fragrance, but the creamy consistency scared me off. I have always been fascinated with makeup, watching women apply makeup, seeing what products they use, and the transformative power of makeup. When I got older (my 20's), I think I tried the Powder Base again, but I can't remember with what results. I became "obsessed" with it again, now that my skin is no longer oily and I actually prefer creamy foundations. I live in the SF Bay Area now, and Merle Norman is not so easy to find now that I no longer live in the "burbs". I found a store and purchased the Powder Base in Porcelain and the Miracol liquid mask, so have recently started using it. The smell/fragrance is the same and takes me back. The price is very reasonable ($20) for the amount of product. My Powder Base's packaging does not match the photos on the web; it has a plain white base and a plain silver tone top....no labels or letters or insignias or design of any kind. Maybe franchisees have the option of selling cheap containers vs fancy ones??? Oh well. The first time I wore it, I went to an upscale restaurant and sat at the counter. Two attractive, well-dressed women and a man were seated next to me. One of the women complemented my nail polish and asked what color it was; the other woman said "I wanted to complement your skin; you complexion looks beautiful!" Whoa Maybe I need to work this stuff into the "rotation" of Giorgio Armani Maestro, and MAC cream foundation more often. I use my fingers to put it on. A little goes a long way and it smooths on easily. It doesn't look or feel heavy, but somehow does manage to conceal imperfections. I need to figure out how much moisturizer to use with it because I don't want to look shiny. I don't use powder. In some of the reviews I noticed that people didn't understand why it was called "Powder Base"...wondering if it was a creme to powder formulation. It is simply a base for powder, but in my case it is just a canvas for blush and eye makeup. When I apply this, the scent of the product remains on my skin; this might be off-putting for some if they don't like (this) fragrance. I am going to start with 3 lippies, and will update it after I have worn it a few more times and under different conditions: heat, cold, less moisturizer, more moisturizer, during and after exercise class.

I have a love/hate relationship with this powder base.
LOVE:
*The scent-and I dont know why.Its a sweet medicinal smell that's vintage like. Not floral at all...maybe cause its different. It doesn't last
*The zinc oxide is a great UVA blocker since I cant use chemical sunscreens, this is an added benefit.
*If I start to see a pimple come up, I wear this and by the next day its gone. Works better than acne medicine for me.
*The jar-simple black and white and retro looking. No printed lettering
looks great on the vanity.
HATE:
*I have winter dry skin right now, so I thought with the mineral oil this has in it, it would be emollient. It goes on that way but 3 hours later I have dry patches on my cheeks/chin/mouth. I've come to the conclusion that its the high amount of zinc. Did some research and sure enough zinc has absorbing properties-which explains why it does so well with occasional breakouts.
*The Alabaster beige I was matched with does not quite match my NC25. Its the right color just the wrong tone, but I can offset with powder/blush, except it makes me even more dry.
*Settles into my pores, so not liking the overall finish, but that could be because it makes me so parched.

This jar will last forever I'm sure, since I'm really only using once in awhile when I see a flare up. I will revisit in the warmer months and see if it makes me too dry then...I have a feeling it'll do great when I get oily in the summer. Zinc is a remarkable mineral!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I really, really wanted to like this foundation. I usually buy drugstore, but that is getting so expensive, and there aren't any matches in a cream foundation for my pale skin with pink undertones, and I remember a relative of mine using this years ago, so I gave it a shot. It does cover well, but is pretty greasy. Still, it was a perfect color match, and I would have at least finished off this container, but -- THE SMELL IS REPULSIVE!

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I love the coverage of this foundation. It is excellent if you like a very heavy coverage; However, why oh why does it have to dry as a powder? Once it dries it settles into every line and crease on your face. Its horrible. Too bad it doesn't have a dewy finish. And the color selection is HORRIBLE. everything is too orange or too pink!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I really like the Merle Norman Powder Base. My only issue has been that my husband hates the smell of the product so I have had to cut down to using it only for special occasions. I never had an issue with the smell of the product. Now that the smell had been decreased I will go back to it full time.! :-) It covers better than any other product and feels good on the skin.

I have very sensitive skin and have a hard time finding foundations that do not cause reactions. I worked for Merle Norman as a teen and wore the powder base back in those days, even when my skin was quite oily. I eventually became a skin care professional and sold and used much more expensive products but when my skin is giving me problems I often return to Merle Norman. Years ago their oil free moisturizing lotion was one of the few that was approved by my dermatologist and yet felt like it did something, I always keep it on hand. When my skin is reactive I get out my powder base, the zinc oxide in it calms it down well and if I wet my fingers and face slightly I can can a nice smooth finish. Not too heavy if you take your time, but if you want a very heavy coverage you can achieve it. This makeup has a great physical sunscreen in it, which is fantastic for those of us who are allergic to chemical sunscreens. The smell is a bit old fashioned and no one will be impressed by the label but it works well. Merle Norman also consistently matches my skin and that is not always possible in other lines.