Merle Norman Powder Base

Filtered by age: 56 & Over

4.6

Zinc Oxide (CI 77947), Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Water (Aqua), Paraffin, Beeswax (Cera Alba), Iron Oxides (CI 77489, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Fragrance (Parfum), Lecithin, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Talc, Sodium Borate 120905

this stuff is amazing, the coverage is not extreme but it transforms and beautifies the face in a very natural and glowing way if used with a brush

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

Well this is wonderful stuff for those with Rosacea...I had tried this before, about 10 years ago, and wasn't crazy about it, but liked it because its main ingredient is zinc, which is a sunscreen and healing to the skin. Application was my problem, wished I had known that then, but glad I gave it another chance. I use a sponge wedge and apply by gently dabbing it on small areas of my face, starting in the center. I do not rub,only use a dabbing motion and blend this way. This makes your foundation smooth and even looking and doesn't irritate sensitive skin.It covers well and hides redness well. Ivory shade has a yellow tone, so is good for hiding any redness you may have. I don't use a finishing powder, I just blot with a tissue and works great...This also helps keep your face moist and soft. I remove with Jergens Face Cream (another oldie I used in my teens) I found at Wal Mart. My skin is loving it and I am paying much less than I paid for my previous cosmetics...

UPDATE: Still loving this foundation, great for dry skin...

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

I am a third generation MN wearer. My Grandmother now deceased (when it became available to her), my other who is 83 and I who just turned 61 have used this our entire lives. I will never change as long as its made. I did summer work for my local MN Studio for years. All three of us look 15 to 20 years younger than we are. It's like a balm to our skins. I know all skin is different and ours are too but it is wonderful for us. We live in the deep south and this stuff stays PUT no sweating it off it looks just as good when we take it off as when we put it on. They are working hard to overcome the "old lady" image but I'm telling you they have the best foundations and powders in the world. If you don't want to "look" like an "old lady" use this stuff. They have samples for you to use at home to find out what your best shade is and once you find it it's great! I know Sephora and Ulta and all those stores offer thousands of great products but don't PASS up the MN Studio without giving it a shot!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I really like the Merle Norman Powder Base. My only issue has been that my husband hates the smell of the product so I have had to cut down to using it only for special occasions. I never had an issue with the smell of the product. Now that the smell had been decreased I will go back to it full time.! :-) It covers better than any other product and feels good on the skin.

It's basically a colored zinc oxide! You put it on a baby's bottom to prevent and heal diaper rash. Why not on your face? It is also a great sunscreen. There are no other foundations that I know of that are actually good for your skin. A frequently read comment is that the writer knows an elderly woman who has used this product all her life and has beautiful skin. There's a reason for that! I obviously love this product. I have tried many others but always come back to this. It is great for Rosecea! It calms the skin and covers the redness. It is less expensive than most foundations even others in the MN line. And it is made in the US!!! For some reason, most SA don't "push" this product so you may have to ask for it specifically.
I apply it with a damp sponge--no streaks.
I am sorry to say that my latest purchase of Powderbase does not have the same smell. It is still pleasant but much diminished. I loved the old fragrance more. I guess that too many people found it to be too strong. Oh well, at least they are listening to the customer!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse

This product was very nostalgic to me - this and the Miracol mask. When I was a teenager in the 60's I was fascinated with Merle Norman. At that time I could only afford Woolworth cosmetics and was always on the hunt for acne products or "medicated" makeups. My skin was crazy oily with breakouts in the T zone. I lived in suburban Chicago with high humidity and no A/C in our house. At high school I would sit with a couple of "older" students in the cafeteria before the first bell rang. One of them wore the Powder Base, liquid eyeliner and some cream blush from Merle Norman, which she would apply while we waited for the first bell. She didn't have oily skin like I did and would smooth it on. I had a unique fragrance, but the creamy consistency scared me off. I have always been fascinated with makeup, watching women apply makeup, seeing what products they use, and the transformative power of makeup. When I got older (my 20's), I think I tried the Powder Base again, but I can't remember with what results. I became "obsessed" with it again, now that my skin is no longer oily and I actually prefer creamy foundations. I live in the SF Bay Area now, and Merle Norman is not so easy to find now that I no longer live in the "burbs". I found a store and purchased the Powder Base in Porcelain and the Miracol liquid mask, so have recently started using it. The smell/fragrance is the same and takes me back. The price is very reasonable ($20) for the amount of product. My Powder Base's packaging does not match the photos on the web; it has a plain white base and a plain silver tone top....no labels or letters or insignias or design of any kind. Maybe franchisees have the option of selling cheap containers vs fancy ones??? Oh well. The first time I wore it, I went to an upscale restaurant and sat at the counter. Two attractive, well-dressed women and a man were seated next to me. One of the women complemented my nail polish and asked what color it was; the other woman said "I wanted to complement your skin; you complexion looks beautiful!" Whoa Maybe I need to work this stuff into the "rotation" of Giorgio Armani Maestro, and MAC cream foundation more often. I use my fingers to put it on. A little goes a long way and it smooths on easily. It doesn't look or feel heavy, but somehow does manage to conceal imperfections. I need to figure out how much moisturizer to use with it because I don't want to look shiny. I don't use powder. In some of the reviews I noticed that people didn't understand why it was called "Powder Base"...wondering if it was a creme to powder formulation. It is simply a base for powder, but in my case it is just a canvas for blush and eye makeup. When I apply this, the scent of the product remains on my skin; this might be off-putting for some if they don't like (this) fragrance. I am going to start with 3 lippies, and will update it after I have worn it a few more times and under different conditions: heat, cold, less moisturizer, more moisturizer, during and after exercise class.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

This stuff is just amazing! I've tried to make friends with it a few times over the years with varying results, but now I'm hooked. It may not keep me from checking out a new foundation every once in a while, but the hunts and any serious straying should be over!

Once upon a time, I tried a foundation from Gerda Spillmann. It was gorgeous, but did a number on my eyes. That was many years ago, but it's still my standard of comparison. And Powder Base comes pretty close, especially now that I've discovered a few tricks.

I apply it with a barely damp Beauty Blender, though if you don't mind cleaning brushes, it also looks lovely using the Urban Decay Optical Blurring Brush. It has enough coverage to work as a concealer, too. It can be used with or without powder. On my VERY combination skin I prefer it without. The biggest trick is to blot it after a few minutes. I just use folded toilet paper. What comes off on the paper is a little horrifying--oily tinted residue. But this blotting makes it look natural even in daylight (and the rear view mirror), and makes it last, with or without powder. My makeup goes on by 7:30am, and doesn't get taken off until sometime between 11 and midnight. And it' still there, even without powder, and the only touch up may be another tissue blot. Not only does it come off easily with the Clarisonic, it also rinses clean from the bristles.

Do not panic when you see the color in the pan. Mine looks so wrong--and nothing like the colors of others that work. But when I'm rested (I.e., when my skin is fairly smooth) I can actually have difficulty seeing where I've already applied it! When I'm finished, it may look a little bit greasy, but the blot takes care of that and makes it just about invisible. Somehow it still provides good coverage. Magic, I tell you. In a zillion shades and less than 20 bucks.

Update April2018: Not currently using, but only because I needed a different shade and I just don't like the MN studio where we live now. I'd happily order from the previous place if I were getting the same color, but not being able to try it on is a problem.

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

Update (12/27/2013): I've been using this all week now, and I love it!!! After a short time, it melds into my skin, and it doesn't get greasy or oily. My usually oily nose stays shine-free. No skin irritation or issues. At the end of the day, most of the makeup is still there to remove. So happy I found this again!

I am one of those that used Powder Base in my early 20's. That was over 40 years ago.

I've been through every kind of foundation over the years. Liquid, cream, powder, stick, spray-on, you name it. I've tried long-wearing, and haven't found one yet that lives up to it's reputation. I always wind up with a grease-slick of a nose, no matter what. I've yet to find a foundation that I couldn't give up.

I came here to read some reviews after realizing Powder Base is still in existence, and became curious about trying it again.

I swear, as emollient as this foundation is in the pot, it amazes me!!! It blends in easily, and there's loads of color shades. It does not get over oily/greasy, it has a lasting finish, and it doesn't seem to settle into lines. I have to say I'm fascinated with this foundation, and think it's a find beyond belief! I'm sold on Powder Base, and plan on sticking with it. What's old is new, as they say, and I can see why this has stood the test of time.

Well - Here I am with my Merle Norman foundations again! Being a Merle Norman fan, I did not try this base because I thought for sure it would be an oily putty. I was wrong! It is quite sheer and the ivory matches my complexion exactly. Just a little dusting of powder, and I am set. It gives a natural, dewy look that is wonderful. I even like this more than the Lasting foundation. Of course, I still love my Luxiva powder foundation, but this combination is much like it.
So, go try this. It is a good price and this winter I plan to use it. What a treat to find that their first foundation is so very good. Oh yes, I forgot to mention, I use a little moisturizer under this. It just takes a small amount of this foundation with a bit of my Airspun powder on top. I think even oily skins could use this.

I bought some MN Luxiva Ultra Powder last week and really like it. I have been wearing mineral makeup since Spring and have gotten used to the light feel. I like to experiment with different makeups so I got some samples of the Powder Base Foundation. I really didn't think I would like it, because I no longer like the feel of cream or liquid foundation on my skin. My face was feeling alittle dry today, so I used one of my PB samples and then used the Ultra powder as a finish(didn't really need it). I couldn't believe how totally flawless my skin looked. I didn't see my usual huge pores or the redness of rosacea. I looked good, if I do say so myself! I wasn't crazy about the heavy makeup feel(compared to minerals), but to look this way I thought I would put up with it for one day. When I got to work everyone kept commenting on how good my face looked. Nobody EVER does that! People kept asking me what this new makeup was. This stuff covers EVERYTHING and doesn't sink into fine lines and wrinkles. Also, it looked as good this evening as it did this morning. I guess now, it's back to Merle Norman to buy yet another foundation.