Merle Norman Powder Base

Filtered by age: 44-55

4.4

Zinc Oxide (CI 77947), Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Water (Aqua), Paraffin, Beeswax (Cera Alba), Iron Oxides (CI 77489, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Fragrance (Parfum), Lecithin, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Talc, Sodium Borate 120905

I am 50 years old and have been using select Merle Norman products, since I was 12 years old. (I have used Merle Norman "cold cream" every night for 38 years and it shows.) I have rosacea and Merle Norman Powder Base is the ONLY thing that I can put on my skin, when it flairs. I do use Chanels' Lingerie de Peau when all is well but I always have powder base on hand. Great Product!!! Very healing and great coverage...

I have very sensitive skin and have a hard time finding foundations that do not cause reactions. I worked for Merle Norman as a teen and wore the powder base back in those days, even when my skin was quite oily. I eventually became a skin care professional and sold and used much more expensive products but when my skin is giving me problems I often return to Merle Norman. Years ago their oil free moisturizing lotion was one of the few that was approved by my dermatologist and yet felt like it did something, I always keep it on hand. When my skin is reactive I get out my powder base, the zinc oxide in it calms it down well and if I wet my fingers and face slightly I can can a nice smooth finish. Not too heavy if you take your time, but if you want a very heavy coverage you can achieve it. This makeup has a great physical sunscreen in it, which is fantastic for those of us who are allergic to chemical sunscreens. The smell is a bit old fashioned and no one will be impressed by the label but it works well. Merle Norman also consistently matches my skin and that is not always possible in other lines.

I have a love/hate relationship with this powder base.
LOVE:
*The scent-and I dont know why.Its a sweet medicinal smell that's vintage like. Not floral at all...maybe cause its different. It doesn't last
*The zinc oxide is a great UVA blocker since I cant use chemical sunscreens, this is an added benefit.
*If I start to see a pimple come up, I wear this and by the next day its gone. Works better than acne medicine for me.
*The jar-simple black and white and retro looking. No printed lettering
looks great on the vanity.
HATE:
*I have winter dry skin right now, so I thought with the mineral oil this has in it, it would be emollient. It goes on that way but 3 hours later I have dry patches on my cheeks/chin/mouth. I've come to the conclusion that its the high amount of zinc. Did some research and sure enough zinc has absorbing properties-which explains why it does so well with occasional breakouts.
*The Alabaster beige I was matched with does not quite match my NC25. Its the right color just the wrong tone, but I can offset with powder/blush, except it makes me even more dry.
*Settles into my pores, so not liking the overall finish, but that could be because it makes me so parched.

This jar will last forever I'm sure, since I'm really only using once in awhile when I see a flare up. I will revisit in the warmer months and see if it makes me too dry then...I have a feeling it'll do great when I get oily in the summer. Zinc is a remarkable mineral!

I am 55 years old and been wearing powder base since I was 15 years old. Only thing available in my small rural town. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. My Mother who is 76 has used it all her adult life and her skin is like a babies. It's because of this simple formula with zinc oxide, no other explanation for it. Oh yes I strayed over the years and tried different "new" products but not for long I always come back to this. I use a sponge wedge (MN brand) and blend a thin layer then finish off with the sheer face powder (big pearl container gold lid) and it lasts until I take it off. Summer months I finish it off with Luxiva Powder Foundation. It's ironclad! Morbid I know but I have told the local undertaker it better be on my face when I am laid to rest!

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I have oily skin and, all though this product is made for those with drier skins, I use it because of the great coverage I get. I'm at the pool alot so right now I'm wearing Golden Birch, but in the winter I usually wear the Alabaster. It is the cheapest fdnt that MN sells, I believe, paying around $18 for it. A little bit goes a long way, so this little pot will last a very long time. I use a sponge to apply...just tapping my sponge on the top of the product will do; no need to "rub" into it or you'll have way too much. I then set it with a dusting of the MN pwdr fdnt. This is always one that I go back to after the urge to try other products.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

This was the first makeup I ever used -- it didn't break me out so I used it all through my teens and 20s and off and on through my 30s. When Bare Minerals came out, I switched to that, but now in my mid 40s using a powder on my very dry skin in the winter doesn't seem (or look) like such a good idea, so I went back to Powder Base.

I use the Porcelain shade. (Take note that even though the shades look dark in the jar, they don't look dark on your face.) This blends right into my fair skin. I use just a little bit and it gives good, soft coverage and you can barely tell I have makeup on. I love the natural finish -- it's not shiny, it's not matte -- it looks like good skin. Just remember to use only a little bit. I rub it in with my hands to make sure there's no extra makeup stuck in the creases, and it looks great and feels great. It's good to be back!

I can't believe I am actually writing a review for Powder Base, much less using it. This was my first exposure to Merle Norman foundations back in 1987 and at the time, I hated everything about it, the smell, the colors, the texture, just everything. Fast forward 22 years.....I just happened to stop by my Merle Norman studio to pick up some cleansing cream when just on impulse decided to try the powder base and got some samples as well. I love this stuff now, go figure. The shade ivory is perfect for my fair-medium skin, the coverage is great and after 12+ hours on my combination oily skin it still looks impeccable. I just used my regular light moisturizer under this and powdered with just a little Clinique face powder to set it and haven't had to retouch or blot all day long. I cannot believe that for a product that seems to have been around almost as long as dirt that this stuff is so good and so inexpensive. Will definitely buy the full size when my samples run out. A plus product for a very nice price.

I have sensitive oily skin and this make-up offers me the best ...moderate coverage and sunscreen...as it contains zinc oxide which is ok for sensitive skin..I have had skin cancer..and must do my best to protect my skin as much as possible..the average sunscreen will burn my skin ..this does not...the thing I dislike most..is when you walk in to most Merle Norman shops most will discourage you from buying this old tired and true formula..and try to sell you their newer stuff...full of chemicals and more expensive...I wish they would understand that this product is the only reason I have walked in to their shop and yes I do usually buy other things there..like the original cleansing cream in the BIG pink tub and Miracol lotion original formula...the other items in Merle Norman's original 3 steps to Beauty...it is really that simple..these are all you need and the price is reasonable..and your skin will thank you.. their translucent powder in the big pearl container with the gold cap is fabulous also...

When I was very young, I loved the smell of this stuff...but now I agree with the previous reviewers...Aunt Bertha! And how! It has a medicinal, spicey cinnamon smell...but this stuff is excellent for protection and coverage. I use it as a sunblock. I also apply it with water...taking my finger with the foundation and adding a few drops of water from the faucet. This foundation will just seal in the moisture and the foundation goes on like silk. I use this method and pat the foundation under my eyes with my ring finger. A very flawless look.

i have used this product and REALLY liked it. the coverage is amazing on my 45 year old dark circles and uneven skin tone. it does tend to feel heavy but i felt that it was well worth it for the coverage. my main gripe with this product that would prevent me from buying it again is the smell! i tried and tried to not let this bother me but this foundation smells like someones great aunt bertha! if only they would update the fragrance on this product i would use it all the time. maybe others will not find it objectionable and merle norman does give samples so you can try it out first, but if you have any men in your life beware-i have been told its like kissing your grandmother! ;)