Merle Norman Powder Base

Filtered by age: 36-43

4.1

Zinc Oxide (CI 77947), Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Water (Aqua), Paraffin, Beeswax (Cera Alba), Iron Oxides (CI 77489, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Fragrance (Parfum), Lecithin, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Talc, Sodium Borate 120905

I can't believe that I'm about to review this. I used to cuss this foundation. For reasons that won't be detailed here. However, I have been on the hunt for an HG foundation. Who would have thunk it!? As a previous reviewer mentioned, I tried Gerda Spillman before. It was an excellent foundation. However, it never seemed to provide the exact, adjustable coverage I need. I decided to give this a try because it is inexpensive and because no one has ever had more perfect skin than the stars in old movies, despite all the cigarettes they smoked. Their skin was perfect because of foundations like this one. It has literally been on the market that long. It was $16 at my local studio. I applied it over Tarte primer (the one that minimizes pores) using a foundation brush. I then used silica powder over it. My skin looks fabulous. I may try a Beauty Blender at some point as well. Didn't even bother with a concealer.

The colors are scary in the container. I'm an 01 in Guerlain Lingerie de Peau and I wear Porcelain in Merle Norman Powder Base. My skin is combo/dry lately. Oilier skin folks likely will not love it, but anyone can try a sample of any shade first. Glad I gave it a try. I look refreshed.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

I found this review completely by accident. I don't remember how I stumbled upon it, but I was very intrigued.

I have very oily and acne prone skin, but now, in my forties, I am also dealing with the issues that come with aging skin; dryness, loss of luminosity, uneven tone and texture, fine lines...and unfortunately, foundations formulated for oily skin exacerbate all those issues. It's been a challenge finding something that meets the needs of both oily and aging skin.

So as I said, I stumbled upon this review and my interest was piqued. As it happens, there is a Merle Norman boutique very close to my workplace, so I stopped in to give it a looksee. The SA was helpful but not overbearing. She made several suggestions, but ultimately I did decide to try the powder base. I was a little skeptical as it seemed very emollient...verging on greasy. But because of the healing properties it purportedly has and the non chemical sun protection (I HATE foundations with chemical sunscreens) as well as the fact that they have a very liberal return policy, I decided to risk it.

As I was applying, my skepticism was unabated. It seemed very, very dewy and didn't seem to set. It looked shiny, even greasy. I was pretty sure that I had made a grave mistake. But as it sat on my skin, it just kind of...disappeared. It like...melted and became one with my skin. It was SO amazingly natural. Even the color, which I initally thought was too dark, was absolutely perfect. I did set with powder, which minimized the shininess, but still left a nice, natural luminosity.

As for how it stood up to my oily skin, amazingly, I did not have to powder for about 4 hours. And then, it really didn't get greasy and gross, just a little dewy. I blotted and was just fine. The product did not break own or become streaky or patchy. After 8 hours, I still looked fresh and natural. I was suitably impressed. I would have expected such an emollient product to leave me dripping with oil in an hour or two, but it didn't. That is HUGE.

Coverage is what I would consider medium, but it can easily be built up without cakiness. I have a few dark spots that it covered easily with just a few extra dabs with my sponge. The best part is that you can achieve wonderful results and good coverage with very little product.

The fragrance is a little strong, yes. But it's not altogether unpleasant. I've used foundations that had a very heavy chemical/paint smell, but that is not the case with this. If I had to describe it I would say it's more of a heavy floral smell. For the first hour it seemed very pronounced and then I didn't notice it any more. It's not a deal breaker for me.

I've only worn this for two days, so I can't comment on the healing properties but I am really, really impressed with the finish, the coverage, the natural appearance, and the lasting power. I think I'm sold.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I own three Merle foundations and like them all. I have Aquabalance, Lasting and Powderbase. All my Merle SA's kept pushing the other foundations on me but I finally tried this and love it. I paid $16.99 for this and it is worth the money. I have pale, dry skin and this does everything I want. I particularly like that it is moisturizing but stays all day. It isn't marketed for long-wear but I can see it washing off when I cleanse at night. Also, I use retin-a twice a week and this limits the peeling associated with that. This may be old school but it is worth a try. I love that it is so cheap but looks wonderful on. It holds it own against the other two foundations I use. I will say that I have yet to try a bad Merle foundation. The only drawback it that my color, ivory, is a tad dark. I use L10 in Aquabalance and Cream in Lasting. Both of the other colors are a perfect match.

Have used power base for years and am frankly amazed by all the fuss about the fragrance. I kind of like it and what little frangrace there is dissipates as soon as it dries. The coverage is amazing; the finish is soft; and it matches my fair skin to a T. I use the Alabaster Beige or the Ivory. I honestly don't use it during the summer because of the humidity and the God-awful heat but the other three seasons of the year that's what I'm wearing and I get people that tell me what beautiful skin I have. You have to use a light touch when applying it or it can get goopy but that's what makes that little pot last so long; it doesn't take very much to do the job. It's been a cornerstone of MN for years because it's that good.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I bought this a couple of days ago based on the reviews here. I was not disappointed! The scent is a bit overwhelming and the packaging a bit bland but inside is a pretty good product. I had been using some Luxiva foundation with that HC something, but it is not covering as much as I would like, even with powder foundation dusted on top. Might be better for winter. Anyhoo, this stuff really is thick and with a sponge and gently lotioned skin, this cover pretty well! I get itchy from added sunscreen and the other (timeless maybe?) Foundation I had purchased made me break out with whiteheads. So far, this is has been a dream! No breakouts, itchy or red skin from the foundation. The SA at the Merle Norman in my area are great-they were patient and she showed me every combination of powder/cream/liquid foundation. She pulled this out last time but I didn't but it. I have to laugh, because I work in a prison, and the overwhelming fragrance doesn't really bother me. As a matter of fact it is sometimes refreshing! Will comntinue to use it up, and may repurchase.

UPDATE (5-23-09) ----- Okay, this worked nicely in the winter, but since the warm weather started this has been breaking me out. This foundation does not seem to allow my skin to sweat properly (seems to trap-in the sweat) and is causing a lot of breakouts. So obviously it's only good in the winter or on dry skin. I'm lowering my rating to 2 lippies because this really works poorly in the warm months. ----------------- (Original Review) - Shockingly, this stuff is pretty darn good. I'm surprised because I have oily skin, and this "Powder Base" foundation has mineral oil in it and is quite thick and creamy .... things that I normally avoid like the plague. But I needed something with powerful SPF, and although this does not have the spf on the label (originally created in the 1930's before spf), the main ingredient is Titanium Dioxide (physical spf) and the sales manager told me the spf is around 50+. So this is a complete sunblock. As such, you do NOT need to slather this stuff on .... a light layer is all you need to block the UV. (also, just FYI, this stuff was not even on display, I had to ask for it, and the sales lady went and got it from the drawer they kept it in. Poor, sad Powder Base, all alone and neglected....... :( ...... So if you don't see it, ask for it).

Anyway, I tried a sample of this stuff first. I did NOT have high hopes, but since I was at Merle Norman anyway purchasing my beloved Luxiva Powder Foundation, I figured why not try a sample of the Powder Base. I took home 2 color samples ... Ivory (lightest warm shade) and Porcelain (lightest cool shade). The Ivory matches my skin color very nicely.

I took a makeup sponge and dabbed the cream onto my face in various spots first, then I blended them all around into a light layer. I noticed the cream did blend very smoothly and nicely, and the coverage was a nice medium coverage (adding more would easily make this heavy coverage if a person needed more). I waited a minute or two for it to dry. It dried nicely too ... nice and natural .... did not stay "dewy" or anything (which I hate). Then I followed with a dusting of my Luxiva Powder Foundation (which is my HG for oil-absorbing powder). The finish was perfect. Just perfect. I even used this under my eyes as a concealor (a tad bit thicker than I did on the rest of my face for greater coverage and with no powder on top). It really created a beautiful finish. But I wanted to see if it would last (or if it would make me a grease-ball by afternoon) and if it would break me out.

Well, the finish lasted a good 8 hours in perfect condition. Then I noticed a small bit of shine and blotted before dinner. Perfect again for the rest of the night. *shocked* ...... at the end of the day this stuff still looked great. Impressive.

Then, I expected total break-out city. But it never came. Instead, my face actually feels softer and looks nice and even-toned. *shocked again*.

Now, because of my oily skin, I do NOT wear any moisturizer under this foundation. I use a few drops of my Caudalie vino serum (for treatment benefits) plus an eye cream. That's it. I let those dry, and then I apply the Powder Base foundation, followed by my Luxiva Powder.

So ..... in summary, I am very surprised that I am giving this 5 lippies. But it's good stuff. Love the finish. Love the spf. Love it all. :)

Would definitely repurchase. But since I use such a small amount, the container will probably last me forever. Oh, and the price is $16.00, which is pretty good.

I have used Merle Norman Powder base since I was 15, I am going on 40! Every once in a while I decide to try some hot new product but I always return to the Powder base. I have a very difficult time finding foundation in my skin color, I have very light porcelain skin and this base is perfect for my skin tone. Several years ago the Merle Norman stores in my city stopped carrying my color, I drive 30 miles to get it! The zinc oxide is great for sun protection and the ultra creaminess of the foundation keeps my skin soft and young looking. I love this foundation!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I really, really wanted to like this foundation. I usually buy drugstore, but that is getting so expensive, and there aren't any matches in a cream foundation for my pale skin with pink undertones, and I remember a relative of mine using this years ago, so I gave it a shot. It does cover well, but is pretty greasy. Still, it was a perfect color match, and I would have at least finished off this container, but -- THE SMELL IS REPULSIVE!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

This is a great foundation for someone with dry skin who wants medium to full coverage. I really like not only the coverage, but how it doesn't dry out my skin. If you try this be sure and ask for a sample first (they have samples in every color!). They also make one called aqua base which is more for normal skin. Good product for a good price.