Merle Norman Powder Base

Filtered by age: 25-29

Zinc Oxide (CI 77947), Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Water (Aqua), Paraffin, Beeswax (Cera Alba), Iron Oxides (CI 77489, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Fragrance (Parfum), Lecithin, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Talc, Sodium Borate 120905

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

This product covers everything, uneven skin tones really good. I have really dry, fair skin and it works really well for me. I have used this product for about 4 years now and I love it. Its really creamy and goes in well, just takes a few minutes to work it in well.

I have been a Merle Norman client for years, but this is the first time I have written a review about a product and am doing so because people need to understand a little bit about this product before buying it.

I am now closing in on 30 and have been using Merle Norman products for the last 6 years since WORKING FOR THE COMPANY shortly after graduating college.

First, you must know that I have an oily t-zone and moderately dry cheeks...the ultimate "combination skin" and acne.

Powder base is by far my favorite Merle Norma foundation. I am not saying that the others are not wonderful, but this product is vastly different than most foundations you will find currently on the market.

Like other brands, most Merle Norman foundations are now oil free or designed to allow the skin to breath and reduce breakouts. Powder Base was Merle Norman's original foundation and contains mineral oil and zinc oxide.

What you must realize is that "mineral oil" in a product does not ultimately mean "acne" if, like me, you are prone to acne breakouts. However, most foundations containing oil will increase acne breakouts because the oil clogs pores.

The reason Powder Base can improve redness, and in some cases, like mine, help to reduce and heal acne (even hormonal acne ladies) is because of the high concentration of the Zinc Oxide.

Regardless of the mineral oil, the Zinc Oxide level in this foundation fights skin irritation and is a natural acne medication as well as sunblock. Zinc is a critical mineral needed by the body that we rarely get enough of through diet. Though professional dermatologists and skin researchers debate over the effectiveness of Zinc to treat acne or heal the skin, I can only speak for myself that it worked for me.

After trying prescription treatments, over the counter treatments and expensive acne skincare products, for the first time since puberty I have my acne under control.

Do not take my word on this alone. No foundation is for everyone. A drugstore brand or alternate Merle Norman foundation may still be your best option. Still, ask for a few "bubble samples" of this foundation from Merle Norman and try it before buying it or dismissing it.

Also, do not apply with a brush. Yes, the consultants at Merle Norman are taught frequently to use brushes because fingers and sponges soak up product and are less sanitary if not washed or discarded respectively. This product is thick but can be applied very lightly with buildable coverage that is difficult to achieve using a brush. Blotting lightly with a tissue will remove any excessive amount of foundation if applied to heavily.

During the summer, the humidity can cause this foundation to feel even heavier. Do not rely on this product to cover blemishes in humid weather. It will feel slightly cake-y. Still, with a light hand, even in the summer, this product will feel similar to any other sunblock and will offer a "natural" finish rather than full coverage.

I hope this information has helped those of you who are still debating purchasing this product or those who have already purchased it and are disappointed. I apologize to those of you who had negative experiences with your consultants. If used correctly, many of you may find that you like this product more than you expect.

Enjoy!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I do not use this foundation on myself but I have used it on clients for photo shoots and I also use it on my grandmother and mother whenever I'm doing their makeup. I love the creamy consistency, the coverage is amazing, and the color selection is a great blend of warm and cool. I will say that in the pots these colors look garish but once blended the scary color goes away. It's the zinc oxide in the product that makes the color looks so scary in the pot. The colors are all split into warms and cools. If you are unsure which color you'd use ask the Beauty advisor for samples. They always have powder base samples and they can help you figure out which color line you need, either warm or cool. The coverage on this is so good that most of the time I don't need to use concealer when using this product. I will say I have used it on myself under my eyes for concealer. This is a great foundation for dry or mature skin or rosacea sufferers. The zinc oxide soothes and provides a total sunblock. Great foundation!