L'Oreal Studio Secrets Magic Perfecting Base

L'Oreal Studio Secrets Magic Perfecting Base
image 1image 2image 3image 4

3.4

cyclohexasiloxane, dimethicone, dimethicone/vinyl dimethicone crosspolymer, silica, acrylates copolymer, disodium stearoyl glutamate, aluminum hydroxide { /- may contain CI 77891/ titanium dioxide/ CI 77491/ iron oxides} FIL D30587/2

Skin: Very Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

The BEST PRIMER for big pores and oily skin!! I have tried a LOT of primers and none come close to its quality and price.

this works great on combo skin and did not break my out. it has such a nice cushiony texture. the only thing I did not like is the packaging! it's so hard to stick my finger into the pot especially with my long nails, most of the product just ends up underneath my finger nail. love the product, needs new packaging!

To Read all 916 Reviews, Login or Join

on 5/25/2016 11:42:00 AM

People with combination skin REJOICE!!!! I have tried so many primers- NYX, CoverGirl Outlast, Smashbox, Benefit, Tarte 12 Hour just to name a few & this is the ONLY one I have found that my forehead is not shining bright like a diamond by mid day.

on 5/18/2016 4:35:00 AM

I've tried quite a few primers but this by far is the worst I've tried. I have fairly dry skin and I find it emphases my dry patches, even though it claims to be for all skin types. I find it sits on top of my skin and can make my foundation look cakey, even if I only apply a small amount. It is expensive for the small amount you get and I certainly won't be buying again!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

this was the first primer i have ever tried and its expensive for a little jar.

it lasted me a long time as i only used it when i needed it or for special occassions.

it IS resurfacing - it instantly mattifies - its a thick moussy textured kinda primer, not thin and crap, lol, so it works!! blurs your pores and everything! ahhh!!

HOWEVER.... i ended up spending more money on the photo finish SMASHBOX primer... does not do the job !!

in london drugstores...in 2016..looks like the loreal one is discontinued!!! :S gonna buy it now on amazon....hopefully its the real one!!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I bought this primer to help with covering up acne scars and large pores on my cheeks and nose area (I needed a primer anyway, but bought this primarily for use at a 2 day outdoor festival with tons of photo ops where I needed my makeup to look flawless!). Usually I shy away from primers as I have acne prone skin, and most cause acne for me (the Revlon PhotoReady Perfecting Primer, for example. Nasty acne with that one!). Let's get into the review! :P

Price: This is definitely on the higher side for a drugstore product. I bought mine for about $10 at Target. Little pricey for such a small jar! Wish it was a little less, maybe more like $7 or $8.

Packaging: I actually like the packaging of this little product. It's in a little glass jar, which gives it a more high end feel (I love glass jars, bottles, because they are reusable for other things!). I just take the littlest amount out with my finger; literally just a gentle swipe. I think this works well if you have short nails, but I can see where this may be an issue if you have longer nails. In that case, you may need something to get the product out.

Appearance: This product is very mousse/souffle like. It's thick and creamy, but applies lightly, almost turning into a powder like lightness. I only need a little bit, mostly on targeted areas (I usually don't use this all over my face). It looks very nice on the skin, leaving it looking smooth, matte, and soft (Like photo shop in a jar! :D). It did a very good job of covering up fine lines and pores, but I would not say it made them disappear 100%. My makeup did stay on longer with the use of this product, but I still noticed some slight creasing by the end of the day (but it was much less than without the primer). I have heard some people say this made their skin appear lighter, but I have super pale skin so I did not notice this, lol.

Acne: I did not notice any new acne with the use of this primer, so that is great news! ^_^ Even after wearing for 8+ hours, 2 days in a row, outside in the heat and humidity, lol. This primer feels lighter than other primers I've tried, so maybe that has something to do with it- maybe not pore clogging the way some primers can be. I'm finding that my skin seems to do well with skin makeup from Loreal.

Overall: I would give this primer 4 lippies. ^_^ I would not say it's the best primer in the world, but it's certainly not bad, even for the price (dept store primers are a lot more!). I still get some creasing, but not as much as without the primer (I think some creasing is expected if you're a very expressive person and wearing the makeup for many hours at a time). It did help minimize acne scarring and pores. And best of all, it did not give me any new acne! ^_^ So I would definitely recommend giving this product a try, particularly if you have acne prone skin. :) (I use this under the Loreal True Match foundation, set with Revlon Colorstay pressed powder).

Item Description:
This primer is a light pastel pink product that kind of looks like a mousse when you first open it. Although it looks like a mousse, the texture feels very thick and creamy.

Packaging:
You get 0.5 fluid ounces (15mL) of product, which is contained in a glass jar with a plastic screw on lid which "clicks" when it is closed (I love how it clicks, so you know you have closed the lid tightly). Although this type of packaging makes the product look very expensive due to the high-quality packaging, the jar container encourages very unhygienic habits. Not only is all of the product is exposed every time you open the jar to use the product, but you are encouraged to dip your fingers into the product. This will make your primer a breeding ground for bacteria. I suggest that you use a small wooden or plastic spatula to scoop out the product every time you use this primer (which must then be washed every time to avoid bacteria collection). If you do end up just using your fingers because you're too lazy to find a spatula like me, you also risk getting the primer under your fingernails and wasting the product.

Claim:
"Get the perfect skin texture, instantly. Wears all day.
The silky, light-weight formula glides onto skin, leaving it velvety-smooth to the touch.
The result - a unified matte finish that's flawless."

Claims to:
-Smooths lines
-Hides pores
-Banishes imperfections

This product claims to be:
-Suitable for all skin types
-Dermatologist tested
-Non-comedogenic

Application:
"Apply each morning on bare skin or after moisturizer has absorbed completely into skin. Apply dot by dot and blend in a gentle circular motion over the whole face or to targeting areas."

Ingredients:
Cyclohexasiloxane, dimethicone, dimethicone/vinyl dimethicone crosspolymer, silica, acrylates copolymer, disodium stearoyl glutamate, aluminum hydroxide [+/-may contain CI 77891/titanium dioxide, CI 77491/iron oxides], FIL D30587/2

--The Review--
This product has given me mixed feelings for many reasons. I find that for what this product costs, you get such a small amount of product! Although I only use a pea-sized amount of primer for my whole face, which doesn't seem like a lot of product, I see myself running out of this primer fast since you are only given 0.5 fluid ounces of the product. I found that this product did an incredible job of hiding my pores and acne scars significantly (I suffer from huge pores caused by the combination of genetics and acne + picking at my pimples (I know I'm not the only guilty one here)). This primer made my skin feel very smooth and silky, but a tiny bit heavy feeling since this primer is actually pretty thick. When applying my CoverGirl Outlast Stay Fabulous 3 in 1 Foundation (you can also see my review for this product) on top of this primer, I found that my foundation caked more than it would have if I have not used any primer at all. So that was a huge downfall to this primer for me. Although it tended to make my foundation look very cakey, this product (by itself) looked very matte. Unfortunately though, it does not last the entire day. This could be because my face gets super oily at the end of the day. Speaking of which, this primer did nothing to control my oil (but then again, what does?). A weird thing that also happened was that after applying this primer, my flaky skin (due to pimples) started to show (the small flakes are usually held down by a normal moisturizer). This could have been because the primer was pretty thick and matte I'm not quite sure. All in all, due to this primer making my foundation look like I had been punched by a cake, I prefer to use this primer by itself on those days where I decide not to wear foundation, since this primer does give a nice matte and smoothing finish.
I tried looking for this product at my local Walmart, but they didn't seem to have any (sold out perhaps?), so I ended up buying this product at my local Rexall/Pharma Plus. The regular price was $22 CAD, but I got this primer on sale for $15 CAD.

Pros:
-Minimized pores and acne scars beautifully!
-Matte finish
-Makes skin smooth and soft

Cons:
-Expensive
-Small amount of product
-Packaging promotes unhygienic habits
-Does not control my oil
-Makes my foundation cakey
-Bit heavy on the face

Overall, would I repurchase this product if I ran out? Probably not. I can probably find a cheaper alternative that hides pores AND can be used under my foundation. I am also loving the look of dewy skin, so I'll be on the hunt for a primer that gives a dewy finish.

A wonderful primer if you are hoping to blur/erase pores, as well as smooth and mattify skin. This can be worn alone with a truly beautiful finish, or under foundation of course. I don't mind the little glass jar, if feels "high end" for drug store, and you can pick it up for about $13 CDN at Wal-Mart. I do use a tiny spatula to remove the product from the jar, and you absolutely do only require a very tiny amount for your whole face. I wouldn't recommend using too much or it will ball up on your skin, so less is definitely more. The other bonus of having the product in a glass jar is that you can see how much is left and you are also able to use all if it without waste / leaving some behind in tube dispensers. It leaves your skin feeling super soft, smooth, silky and looks quite nice, especially the pore blurring effect! I have combo/oily skin and my pores have started to enlarge as I've aged but you would never know it with this primer. On makeup-free days, I apply this after my moisturizer (let it dry/absorb completely before applying primer) and my face stays pretty well shine-free the whole day. It doesn't do anything for minimizing redness or correcting any imperfections other than minimizing pores and decreasing shine, but those two benefits alone are worth the purchase.

On makeup days I use my Cover FX primers because of the skin care benefits, like to have that under my foundation but honestly, this would be a great primer under makeup too. I much prefer this to the Smashbox primers, which feel slippery, oily, too much silicone for my liking, but then again we all have our preferences.

Packaging is not environmentally friendly and extra package increase real jar size, actually size of the jar smaller than most of the brands (most 30 ml) but L Oreal primer only 15 ml. It makes product more expensive then other drugstore primers.

You will need very small amount to cover face. This product design for oily and combinational skin. I use it mostly for T zone on my face. It easy to apply and get good and thin coverage. Primer removes shine from oily face, fill the pores and prepare for application of foundation.

I will defiantly recommend this face primer

on 1/29/2016 2:07:00 AM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

This is the primer I've stuck with the longest for my large-pored face (thanks Mom). It does a solid job of blurring inperfections, and it fills in my pores so they're less noticeable and so foundation/powder doesn't settle into them. It also locks down my sunscreen, which is oily because I have allergies and can only use the one brand.

I don't know why people would describe it as hard to apply/blend. Maybe some jars are kind of dried out? I scoop a pea-sized dab out and rub my fingertips together briefly to warm it up a little / make it creamier. Then I apply by dabbing all over my face with some sweeping motions to blend.

I use a water-based foundation (Graftobian Glamaire applied with fingertips and a BB sponge) over this primer.

I don't like this primer for undereye concealer; I use a separate eye primer for that, because this one tends to crease very quickly and look very dry.