CeraVe Facial Moisturizing Lotion - PM

CeraVe  Facial Moisturizing Lotion - PM

3.8

Purified Water, Glycerin, Caprylic/Capric Triglycerides, Niacinamide, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth-20, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceramide 3, Ceramide 6-II, Ceramide 1, Phytosphingosine, Hyaluronic Acid, Cholesterol, Dimethicone, Polyglyceryl-3 Diisostearate, Potassium Phosphate, Dipotassium Phosphate, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Disodium EDTA, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Carbomer, Xanthan Gum. (May contain Gluten, from barley/phytosphingosine)

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I had somewhat high hopes for this as I don't demand a lot of a night cream anyway. Since I typically use actives at night after cleansing, I need a decent moisturizer to "lock" it all in and provide a little hydration to my oily-but-sometimes-flaky skin. Unfortunately, this was just "meh." Friends and reviews sang the praises of Cerave but this didn't do much at all for me. I used to work for a cosmetics line that based their skincare on ceramides and I was impressed with the ingredient list for this moisturizer. It includes the trifecta of ceramides, phytosphingosine and cholesterol necessary for optimal lipid barrier protection. Alas, I don't feel like this imparts a great deal of moisture. So, while it's not a bad or irritating moisturizer, I wouldn't bother buying it again.

This pains me... it really does. I decided to get on a healthy skincare and makeup regimen to kick off the new year. I wanted to be able to sport that naturally flawless look with minimal makeup and that would take the help of the right skincare products. Cerave was a brand I was always aware of but not attracted to for some reason. It struck me as being a clinical brand targeted only towards those with very sensitive skin or those who need specialized care for skin ailments. I was looking for something no-frills but effective. Come to find out that many, many people actually use their products on a daily basis. So I looked up reviews of this moisturizer on Paula's Choice, here on MakeupAlley, Amazon, Beautypedia etc and it pretty much had glowing reviews everywhere. So I figured it would be a slam dunk to add to my everyday skincare routine.

Holy cow. In the last two days I've been using this my face is literally beet red. Not just my cheeks or certain spots.. my whole face. I've scoured through hundreds of reviews and it seems a small handful of people have experienced this reaction too. Ugh this really bums me out because the ingredient list was so impressive 😔

on 1/4/2017 3:52:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Long story short: love this product! I was super skeptical of this product for a while after hearing many acne-prone users complain of how this product broke them out. I myself have sensitive, acne-prone skin with mild rosacea, and often break out from products that other acne-prone people have no problem with, so I was pretty apprehensive.

Glad I took the plunge though. After consistently using this on the left side of my face for about a week, I'm already seeing that side become less red/inflamed, smoother, and more even-toned. The consistency is somewhere between a gel and a cream. It goes on smoothly without any irritation from my skin.

That being said, this doesn't seem to sit well with other people, so I recommend patch-testing. Overall though, I'd still say this is a great option for people with acne-prone skin. I've mainly stuck with gel moisturizers in the past, which is generally recommended for people with acne, but haven't found them to be moisturizing enough. This product seems like a good balance between a gel that is light on the skin and non-comedogenic, and a cream that can actually deliver the moisture that your skin needs (especially if you're using drying acne products).

on 1/2/2017 11:43:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I went on a holiday to Canada and bought quite a few products while there. This was one of them. My bag was delayed on my way over and I bought this as a night time moisturiser to tie me over. I was really impressed and ended up buying another bottle before I left. This is a great moisturiser for people with oily skin. It sinks in really quickly and gives a lot of moisture to the skin without being oily. My sensitive skin looks lovely after having used this moisturiser and it doesn't look oily at all. I normally don't eat a lot of sugar, but I have over the holidays. I therefore cannot tell if this clogs my pores, or if my eating habits are the culprit. If this causes clogged pores, I will update my review. So far I am loving this moisturiser though, apart from some of the parabens in it (that are a bit iffy, hence the four lippies).

I really like this stuff. It doesn't irritate my skin like the AM version does. It soaks in quickly and smoothly.

on 11/9/2016 7:57:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

THIS LOTION RIGHT HERE IS A LIFESAVER !!! I use it morning and night . It leaves my skin so smooth and it let's me glow. It doesn't clog my pores. No irritation. Texture is awesome too.

on 11/5/2016 6:30:00 PM

I have combination skin and this PM moisturizer feels wonderful on it. I like the consistency: Not too thick but not watery either. Absorbs quickly. I decided to try this after reading a 5-star "expert's review" on Beautypedia. So happy I tried it. Awesome price too and it does go on sale from time to time.

on 10/29/2016 4:39:00 AM

I can't believe I used this product for nearly 3 years before realising this was most likely the culprit for my closed comedones, occasional breakouts, excessively oily skin and a 24/7 red face (this did not burn nor was my skin irritated, it was just very bright red all the time).
I only realised this after I started using a sheet mask lotion as my daily moisturiser because of how much better my skin was looking every time I used it and CeraVe PM sat ignored amongst my ever expanding skin care stash.
My closed comedones started to disappear and so did my red face that was so many shades darker than my very pale neck all the time, gone were the breakouts I always had. I woke up with clear, dewy and soft skin after this was taken out of my skin care routine and was replaced with a sheet mask lotion.
I tried to introduce this back into my routine at night and awoke the next morning with angry big red bumps on my face in areas that I never break out such as side of my nose and forehead. Not only did I try to use this once but twice just to make sure this was the reason for my breakouts and sure enough, this was the culprit. And now not only do I have huge big red, pissed off deep pimples that are slow to go away, I also am one of those lucky people whose red pimples are a fiery red as if they're filled with rage. How lovely. And the red ones are always the worst on my neck and the ones on my neck are the slowest to go away and heal and slow for the angry redness to go away.
I will say though the packaging is wonderful and it has a lock so travel with this is great, texture is wonderful and light yet moisturising yet it never was fully absorbed into my skin either. Don't get me wrong, I do think this provides very good moisture but I don't think my skin drank it up like it should have either and now that I think about it, it just sat atop my skin, unabsorbed and it made me so much more greasy and forget about this looking good under foundation.
Once this got the boot out of my skin care routine, my skin returned to normal and my skin is no longer producing an over abundance of oil like it did with this and now my foundation looks decent throughout the day instead of pooling up and being a nasty oily mess.
I feel so stupid for not even realising this was the culprit for my skin woes.
Now, I'm going to have to just wait out my breakout I'm experiencing after giving this a second chance.
For now, I'm keeping this only for my eye area and mixing a drop of Argan oil into it 2x/day and it works wonders for my under eye area since that area is chronically dry but once this is gone I will not be repurchasing it.
Overall, I do recommend you try this if you are looking for a well rounded moisturiser that is affordable with actual decent skin care benefits that are good for your skin such as hyaluronic acid and niacinamide and if your skin is extremely dry, this may be very beneficial to you but if you are easily clog prone like I am or prone to breakouts, proceed with caution.
11/5/16 Followup: Knocked this down to 1 lippie cause this morning and tonight this caused intense burning on my under eye area, this morning I just thought maybe it was a fluke and maybe my eye area was mad for some unknown reasons, I do wear contacts but I've never had a burning sensation to my under eye area due to contacts nor my contact solution. Tonight was worse than this morning. My under eyes are now puffy, red and burning after applying this after my shower and removing my makeup. I took some Benadryl, used some olive oil to remove this crap then put Aquaphor healing ointment on my under eye area to soothe the fiery feeling I felt on my eye area.
Chucked this straight into the bin as I wouldn't want to give this to anyone and risk them getting plagued with a fire ant feeling on their skin and eye area.
And to think, I actually thought this stuff was amazing and recommended it to so many people without realising the damage this was doing to my skin.
I'll gladly stick to my Elizavecca skin care lotions my skin seems to respond to positively.

on 10/27/2016 9:32:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Cool

This product is labeled for normal-to-oily in Canada instead of normal-to-dry like in the US. The formula is identical.

This is the response from CeraVe when I asked about it:
"In Canada, we identified “normal to oily skin” on the packaging because the texture is slightly lighter than our regular Moisturizing Lotion and it also contains ingredients such as Niacinamide (Vitamin B3) that help reduce redness sometimes associated with skin conditions such as acne and rosacea which are generally considered “oily” skin conditions. However, niacinamide has benefits for dry skin and the product also contains all the same skin barrier replenishing ingredients found in our body moisturizers, making it perfectly suitable for dry skin as well."

I do understand the change in the label since it is not very moisturizing if you have dry skin or some dry parts on your skin. You might need to layer a heavier moisturizer over it or some serum underneath it. I applied many pumps of the CeraVe PM on my skin at night and still felt some tight dry skin. Do take note that I don't use any acne treatment or harsh cleanser. I just wash with water and applied this moisturizer at night. I have combination skin.

Another thing that didn't work for me is the burning, stinging and itching that I felt when I applied this moisturizer. Sometimes it was all night, sometimes it was random... My skin just felt uncomfortable. It also turned my skin red. I believe it is the Niacinamide in the ingredients. I saw other reviews stating the same things. So it seems like I can't tolerate it.

The texture of the CeraVe PM is sticky and shiny after you apply it. Which is why it is best to apply it at night.

Also, this moisturizer clogged my pores. I had a few whiteheads and inflamed acne every day when I used this. Even though the CeraVe PM is highly recommended on Skincare Addiction it just didn't work for my skin. If you can tolerate Niacinamide and if this moisturizer doesn't clog your pores, then it would be a great option for you. I just love the ingredients list.. sadly, not for my skin!

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I've been reading reviews on here for years without contributing, but I recently started a new makeup/skincare regimen and decided it was time to contribute.

In my opinion, this is a requirement for anyone using a retinoid treatment. Dermatologists should send you home with a tube of retinol and a bottle of CeraVe PM.

A few months ago my dermatologist put me on a Retin-A regimen. I've read all about the side effects, so knew to expect redness/peeling/breakouts/etc. I thought I was one of the lucky few who dodged these side effects... until about 4-5 weeks in.

Enter angry red blotches. Waking up every morning with patches of a white scaly crust on my face. Coming home from work to look in the mirror and finding crusty skin. Going to the gym became painful -- as soon as I started to sweat, it felt like someone threw battery acid in my face. If I cried, the tears felt like knives going down my face. Even the gentlest cleansers made my skin burn like acid. The only relief was stopping the Retin-A for 4-5 days, which pretty much defeats the purpose.

I tried a ton of different things to help restore my skin barrier -- from drug store moisturizers to high-end, $100+ serums/moisturizers, to pure jojoba oil, to coconut oil. Coconut oil seemed to work best on the crustiness and redness, but I hate how it made my skin so shiny, and didn't like the feel on my face. It kind of sits there and makes me itchy. Plus, the crust would come back later in the day, anyway.

I kept seeing comments from people telling them their dermatologists had recommended CeraVe as the only moisturizer you need with retinoids. I kind of dismissed this, I guess? A few times a week I'll use the CeraVe AM lotion with SPF 30, and didn't see it helping much. Which, in retrospect, is kind of silly if you're only using it a few times a week. I also applied it over a bunch of other stuff, so I'm not sure it was ever soaking in.

ANYWAY - I picked up the CeraVe PM as kind of an, "Oh well, if it sucks at least I'm only out $6."

When I first used it, I honestly thought I got a defective bottle. You expect PM moisturizers to be thick and heavy. This was light - kind of gel-like and milky. I had to GIS to make sure that yes, this is how it's supposed to look.

So that night I cut out everything else. Just wash + Retin-A + CeraVe. It burned quite a bit, but literally EVERYTHING burned. Then bed. However, I like that it actually soaked in instead of sitting there making my face feel itchy.

The next morning, for the first time in a loooooooong time, I didn't have scaly patches. The redness had gone down considerably. My skin didn't seem to burn when I touched it. It felt like my old skin, only much better looking.

I'm still considering how I'll incorporate this into my morning routine, as I'm not the biggest fan of the AM moisturizer. But for right now, I'm so thankful I started using this. It has made my nighttime routine SO much simpler and cheaper, while also being so much more effective.