Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Loose Powder Foundation (All Shades)

Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Loose Powder Foundation (All Shades)

3.4

Mica, Bismuth Oxychloride, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Zinc Stearate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Sodium Dehydroacetate, MEthylparaben, Silk Powder, propylparaben, Glycine Soja Seed Extract (Soybean), Tocopheryl Acetate, Pantothenic Acid, Retinyl Palmitate, Ascorbic acid, May Contain: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Carmine

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

This powder foundation is, as advertised, sheer. It's lived in my drawer for awhile, but lately I've been reaching for it on those casual days when I just want a bit of quick coverage to even out skin tone. The time I save in application is absorbed by vanity/sink clean-up afterwards—the loose version of this product is particularly messy for a non-compact powder, I think because the particles tend to cling together as you tap product out into the lid, finally avalanching out when you give that one last impatient shake. It comes with a throwaway fan-type brush but applies best with a stiff kabuki. The coverage is even and natural. I bet men (even the stubbled) could use this for a bit of practically invisible skin-evening. Mineral foundations are often recommended for the oily—by whom, I wonder? Dry-skinned product formulators, one can only imagine. I have never found them to be particularly suited to more emollient skin types, and this one is no exception. It looks beautiful upon initial application, but does squat in the oil-control department. I’m shiny within a few hours and usually have to blot or touch up with a separate mattifying product, as this foundation becomes cakey and obvious when applied repeatedly. Coverage lasted a solid half-day. It contains an SPF of 20, but you’d probably have to apply it in a thick, continuous layer to get that protection. I like my foundation applied unevenly--more in the centre, almost none at the hairline. I suspect people with normal skin would have a great time with this product, but it was not for my skin type. I’m NC40 and wear Natural Beige 60. The range goes two shades darker, but I’d be curious to know if they’re wearable for anyone deeper than NC45.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I'll admit I was pleasantly surprised by this powder; I hadn't used Neutrogena since my teen years and usually just breeze by it at the drugstore.

To me, this is the beauty-on-a-budget answer to Bare Minerals: looks natural but fantastic, radiant and almost medium-coverage when first applied, but just doesn't have anywhere near the longevity of a cream or liquid foundation. If you're going for a reliably airbrushed look you're going to need multiple applications throughout the course of a regular day, and lets be honest.. most people just don't have the patience for that.

Now, for the average day when you don't have need of anything too extravagant, or if you're already blessed with perfect skin, this is an excellent option for brightening and evening out the face. It looks GORGEOUS when freshly applied and blends pretty effortlessly into the skin. You would hope for as much, seeing as Neutrogena is probably the most expensive brand at the drugstore alongside Physicans Formula.

The undoing comes a few hours later, especially if you are oily-skinned. Loose powders (powders in general) only have so much coverage and staying power. Don't expect any long-term miracles, and if you have any afternoon plans make sure to bring this along for touch-ups.

I have to give this 4 lippies, because it did renew my faith that powder foundations can create a truly lovely and even canvas. On the other hand, for any occasions that are even remotely important I can't imagine wearing this- liquid or cream foundation is a sure thing, this isn't. With that said- it's a very beautiful product while it lasts and I will continue to buy as needed for regular days when I want my skin to look good but have a breather from heavier makeup.

on 1/5/2017 11:05:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I was looking for a cheap bare minerals but this is not it.. it's a regular loose power but I will say it's creamier and softer than others. It's not a powder foundation but just a setting powder. Coverage is light to semi medium

I use this daily. I absolutely love it. I've tried tons of powders/mineral foundations at all price ranges and and I have to say this looks the best. I've been told by high-end makeup artist that they would have never thought I was wearing Neutrogena. But I don't use it alone I always wear a light liquid foundation or a good primer under.

on 12/23/2014 6:31:00 PM

I like this mineral powder best because it looks nice & even on the skin, does not irritate my skin like other powders & does not make me break out. I wear this over my CerAve 30 sunscreen along with a finishing powder. I do have to conceal any blemishes with a concealer, but this works great for me!

on 3/10/2014 10:37:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

Skin: Sensitive-Oily-Acne prone

I've been using this product since 2011. It worked for me as a finishing powder and I loved it.Gave a flawless finish and covered up anything not covered by my application of foundation. My skin has always been oily so I cant say that this product contributed to that. Also gave me a nice glow.

WELLLLLLLL when i stopped wearing liquid foundation and started only wearing this loose powder foundation I noticed that when my face got oily the product accentuated my pores, my face looked even more shiny (from the shimmer) and it sank into my acne scars. I do not have deep pitted acne scars however the product made them look very pitted and noticeable. That lightest color goes on well as a color match (still a tad too dark) but once it oxidizes it turns orange and then you can see the make up line. Also, seems to separate after face becomes oily.

Since discontinued use of this product along with a new skin care routine my skin has been clearing up day after day. There is an ingredient (the glitters) that can clog the pores causing breakouts. I now use the mineral loose foundation w/ SPF 15 from Laura Mercier. You can check my review for Laura Mercier and skin care routine that cleared my ADULT acne

I've been using this powder for a year now after many many many years of only wearing high end/very expensive foundations. When I first made the switch I immediately got lots of compliments on my "skin" from friends.

I like it because it's light, it's easy, it works well with my skin (Dry/Combo, moderately fair) and I prefer a light to medium coverage. I also really like the shimmer, which isn't for everyone but maybe since my skin tends to be dry and dull, I like the luminosity.

The brush isn't bad, and i've never had issues with it. I've even saved a few and put them in my travel bag for on the go blush and bronzer. I read a few reviews that ragged on the brush but I honestly don't know why. It's pretty decent.

I'm not really crazy about the packaging but it's better than a lot of powders out there. My biggest complaint is that after about a month the power will oxidize and it won't match my skin anymore. Not a huge deal considering that at the end of the month I'm nearly out of product anyways, but I know that for some gals out there who like to collect makeup.. this may not be for you, it doesn't keep well. But for those of you that want something for every day, then it's just fine.

on 9/3/2013 11:07:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I love the compact version of Neutrogena's Mineral Sheers - but not this loose powder! It is really messy in the container and the brush it comes with is next to useless. This loose powder may be more suited for someone with normal or dry skin, but I was a multi-colored oil spill of a mess after a few hours of wearing this.

Tried this as I love the compact powder from the same line, but don't like this near as much. The lightest shade, 10, which matches me in the compact is too dark in this, and oxidizes to an orangish color. And it's too shiny and looks metallic in the sun. It is also a little itchy. I'm trying to use it up by lightly dusting this over my face like warmth from BE over the compact foundation, but will definitely stick to only the compact in the future

on 6/10/2013 12:13:00 AM

Love it for light coverage and a natural looking skin tone enhancer. Great value for money and it goes a long way. I wear it during the day when outdoors for some natural looking vibrancy. If you are looking for full on coverage, this may not be the product for you. Oh and buyers of this product should use their own brush, the one that comes with the powder is small and kinda annoying, but again... It's an $8 powder, just go with it.