NARS Semi-Matte in Heat Wave

Semi-Matte in Heat Wave

4.6

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

OK, short of writing the same review - see my 'cut-n-paste' review below, which I had written for another colour 'Jungle Red'.

I've now acquired 'Heat Wave' and dare I say that I really cannot decide which I will repurchase when I'm done with either colour.

Let's just say i find Jungle Red beautiful, but I find it a tad too dark once the colour wears off a little. Therefore, I think I prefer Heat Wave in that it's a more cheery red (more orange) and it really brightens up my face, except that Heat Wave does make my teeth a little yellow. I'll compromise cos I really love the red in Heat Wave.

--------------------
Review under Nars Jungle Red:
Edit - 17Mar2016:
This morning I panicked! I forgot to bring Jungle Red with me to work today. Enough said how much I love, and still love this lippie (I was a lippie casanova). Have not strayed much since acquiring Jungle Red.
------------------------------------------------------
I have tons of red lippies in my drawer – most I rarely wear for more than 3 days in a row – they turned out either too shiny, too matte, too glossy, with glitter that turned out too pronounced, too much organgy or too much pink after oxidisation on my pigmented lips, the list goes on and my quest in tracking the perfect red continues – but it finally stopped two weeks ago and I have been wearing Jungle Red on my lips and nothing else since!
I dare say this is my perfect red – matte but not too drying or stark against my Asian tan/sallow complexion, and I always prefer matte lipstick provided they are not drying or accenturate my lip lines. Also, although it is a warm red with a very slight orange (which I prefer rather than blue-based ones), this does not make my teeth look more yellow than they are!
It’s just perfect and I think this may be my signature lipstick.

on 12/4/2015 9:43:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This is an incredibly flattering orange/fiery red color that I was surprised actually looked good on. It's true to the Nars semi-matte lipstick formula, goes on smooth and stays on relatively well. I usually pair with Urban Decay Ultimate Ozone Multipurpose Primer Pencil so it stays put a little better, but it does dull the color a tiny bit. One application usually lasts until lunch, then another for the rest of the day!

To Read all 77 Reviews, Login or Join

This was too orangey with my olive skin, but it is a beautiful matte color and looked great on my friend (which is why it still got 4 lippies).

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

confession: I read that Jenna Lyons (J. Crew creative director) wears this shade. I would have never looked at it - it's way outside my usual comfort zone -and as I get older, I shy away from strong matte lipsticks, b/c they can be aging. The HG lipstick must look great when you have NO OTHER makeup on - that's the test. I put this on and bangpow! instant fabulous.
I'm fair (NC15 to NC20) auburn hair - and cannot wear orange or bright pink lipstick without looking ill. I like to layer it over other lipsticks - right in the center of my lips - or apply it in layers, blotting it off so it reads like a stain - much more modern, and the safest bet for those of us who wore high-waisted jeans when they FIRST came out.

This should have been the lipstick that started my obsession with NARS semi-matte lipsticks. It has so many raves in magazines and blogs! Unfortunately, this shade was always out of stock in my country (PHL), so in frustration, I picked up another red in the range (Jungle Red), and ended up completely falling in love with it. But of course I still needed to see and experience what the hype is about, so on a trip to Singapore last year, I finally managed to get a hold of a tube of Heat Wave. Hip, hip hooray! When I finally wore it though, I had mixed emotions; It was a lovely shade of orange red on me (but leans more towards orange), and it does brighten up my face to a certain degree, but I found that I get lots more compliments & my face looks so much brighter & fiercer when I wear Jungle Red. I don't wear this as often and I'm still glad to have this color in my lipstick arsenal, but bottom line is, Jungle Red >>>>> Heat Wave, at least for me.

on 1/1/2015 8:56:00 PM

My first orange-red lipstick. I stayed away from orangey reds for a long time as I feel like it makes my Asian skin extra yellow and drained. Heat Wave did not do that; in fact, it was quite the opposite, it really compliments my skintone (NC30 for reference). I also believe that the colour can be worn with a casual jeans and a tshirt outfit or dressed up with a LBD. It is so versatile!

I must agree with the review below; it does make my teeth a tad yellow. But the colour is so perfect on my skin, I am willing to look passed this minor erk and continue to wear and repurchase over and over again!

on 10/31/2014 11:15:00 AM

If you like a white smile dont use it. This made my teeth look dreadful. I am dark eyed and olive skinned so its a so called perfect colour for me but i think it has TOO much orange in it. I bought Bourjois rouge edition velvet in red pepper and its less orange and goegeous; if you love your white teeth, go for that instead!

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Love it,wish it came in slim line bullet like the pure Matte Nars lipsticks.If you don't want to shell out $30 Sephora's It Girl is a dupe in color but not a matte.

on 2/4/2014 5:54:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

When it comes to orange-red lipstick, a cool-toned, pale girl like myself immediately balks. Anything with orange isn't our forte, after all. But if you do belong to the pink skin brigade, have no fear! This is the one exception that still pops, looks fresh, and 'modern Hollywood'-esque. The color does have a strong orange note, but the base is red, and it almost seems to turn into an orange-ish cherry red. It really brightens my face, and I'm sure this would work wonderfully on more yellow-toned skin!
Nars lip products seem to have amazing staying power; at least their semi-matte/matte ones do. This one in particular leaves a very nice hint of juicy red on my lips after a couple hours of drinking and eating, and doesn't even dry them out! The consistency is not too creamy, which makes it easy to apply directly from the tube. I would still recommend starting from the thickest part of your lip, just too test out the pigmentation and then blend accordingly. This color can look like clown makeup if you overdo it.
The price is much if you're used to drugstore makeup, but I really do think that you get the bang for your buck. It's beautiful. stays on well, seems a universal color, and isn't drying!
GO GET IT.
Also, the name 'Heat Wave' is very fitting. I like.

on 1/1/2014 10:48:00 AM

I understand why this lipstick was named Best Overall Lipstick by InStyle in 2011. The color is Hollywood film star gorgeous. I avoided red lipstick for years, because I falsely believed that my olive (yellow undertones) skin was a poor match for it.

A friend of mine was purchasing this at Sephora a few years ago, so I tried it on in the store. I was amazed. It's rich and vivid, the Technicolor of lipsticks. It has a slight coral-orange hint to it, but it is still a true and classic red.

I've had a few tubes of this. I find I can wear it any time of year.

Another red I favor is Russian Red by MAC.