NARS Cosmetics Semi-Matte Lipstick - Heat Wave

NARS Cosmetics Semi-Matte Lipstick - Heat Wave
Cosmetics Semi-Matte Lipstick - Heat WaveCosmetics Semi-Matte Lipstick - Heat WaveCosmetics Semi-Matte Lipstick - Heat Wave

4.6

on 7/2/2018 9:30:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

A fiery red-orange matte that is incredibly flattering despite my muted coloring. Normally I can't pull off super bright lipsticks but this is one of the exceptions. It lasts hours and hours even on a compulsive lip licker like me, and although it is drying, it's no more than should be expected for a matte. This is a high quality lipstick for sure. I won't repurchase because it was expensive and I don't use it often enough to justify a permanent place in my collection.

on 5/8/2018 1:58:00 PM

A perfect lipstick. Bright orange-red but perfectly balanced. Most of the original Nars lipsticks, especially the semi-mattes, are flawless. I have Heat Wave, Funny Face, Jungle Red, Niagara, Senorita, and they're among my absolute faves, to the point where I'm like "how did they do this" whenever I wear them.

Back to Heat Wave. It's just stunning, a head-turner, yet somehow not too much, even for everyday wear. I usually have it in heavy rotation in summer: slight tan + mascara + bronzer + Heat Wave = lounging in a bikini on the Riviera dreams, even when I'm in the office.

Feels good on, doesn't need a liner, richly opaque, lasts, fades elegantly, doesn't dry out my lips. It's $$$ but it's a special lipstick. You can just feel it.

on 1/20/2017 6:22:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

MUA Top Picks - you've done it again. This lipstick is incredible. In the tube, it looked a bit more orange/coral that I usually like, but I saw a blogger wearing it blotted lightly on her lips over lip balm and it looked so nice I had to try it. It looks amazing worn this way! It is the cherry popsicle-pink stain I've been searching high and low for for years. It's just so flattering with my light-to-medium skin tone; I'm obsessed. This lipstick makes me want to toss out every pink lippie I own because I can't think of one any better. I am trying to convince myself I don't need to immediately buy 5 more tubes of it to stash everywhere. Yes it's expensive and yes it's worth it. Thank goodness for all of the positive reviews here that led me to this lipstick!!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is probably my favourite red lipstick of all time, I literally panic whenever I can't find it. I would describe the colour as a punky red. It is bright and punchy, and it's definitely on the orange side, but it has a hint of pink, so the overall effect is not what you get from a normal orange red (for example, for me that means the pale skin orange lips trend look, or the luscious tanned skin salsa red look). It's less orange than MAC Lady Danger and NARS Red Square, while still being as bright.
The formula is also perfect. It's fairly thick and dry-ish, but not drying. It's smudgeable so the lipstick can easily be dabbed on and rubbed in as a stain. And it's very long wearing.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

OK, short of writing the same review - see my 'cut-n-paste' review below, which I had written for another colour 'Jungle Red'.

I've now acquired 'Heat Wave' and dare I say that I really cannot decide which I will repurchase when I'm done with either colour.

Let's just say i find Jungle Red beautiful, but I find it a tad too dark once the colour wears off a little. Therefore, I think I prefer Heat Wave in that it's a more cheery red (more orange) and it really brightens up my face, except that Heat Wave does make my teeth a little yellow. I'll compromise cos I really love the red in Heat Wave.

--------------------
Review under Nars Jungle Red:
Edit - 17Mar2016:
This morning I panicked! I forgot to bring Jungle Red with me to work today. Enough said how much I love, and still love this lippie (I was a lippie casanova). Have not strayed much since acquiring Jungle Red.
------------------------------------------------------
I have tons of red lippies in my drawer – most I rarely wear for more than 3 days in a row – they turned out either too shiny, too matte, too glossy, with glitter that turned out too pronounced, too much organgy or too much pink after oxidisation on my pigmented lips, the list goes on and my quest in tracking the perfect red continues – but it finally stopped two weeks ago and I have been wearing Jungle Red on my lips and nothing else since!
I dare say this is my perfect red – matte but not too drying or stark against my Asian tan/sallow complexion, and I always prefer matte lipstick provided they are not drying or accenturate my lip lines. Also, although it is a warm red with a very slight orange (which I prefer rather than blue-based ones), this does not make my teeth look more yellow than they are!
It’s just perfect and I think this may be my signature lipstick.

on 12/4/2015 9:43:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This is an incredibly flattering orange/fiery red color that I was surprised actually looked good on. It's true to the Nars semi-matte lipstick formula, goes on smooth and stays on relatively well. I usually pair with Urban Decay Ultimate Ozone Multipurpose Primer Pencil so it stays put a little better, but it does dull the color a tiny bit. One application usually lasts until lunch, then another for the rest of the day!

This was too orangey with my olive skin, but it is a beautiful matte color and looked great on my friend (which is why it still got 4 lippies).

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

confession: I read that Jenna Lyons (J. Crew creative director) wears this shade. I would have never looked at it - it's way outside my usual comfort zone -and as I get older, I shy away from strong matte lipsticks, b/c they can be aging. The HG lipstick must look great when you have NO OTHER makeup on - that's the test. I put this on and bangpow! instant fabulous.
I'm fair (NC15 to NC20) auburn hair - and cannot wear orange or bright pink lipstick without looking ill. I like to layer it over other lipsticks - right in the center of my lips - or apply it in layers, blotting it off so it reads like a stain - much more modern, and the safest bet for those of us who wore high-waisted jeans when they FIRST came out.

This should have been the lipstick that started my obsession with NARS semi-matte lipsticks. It has so many raves in magazines and blogs! Unfortunately, this shade was always out of stock in my country (PHL), so in frustration, I picked up another red in the range (Jungle Red), and ended up completely falling in love with it. But of course I still needed to see and experience what the hype is about, so on a trip to Singapore last year, I finally managed to get a hold of a tube of Heat Wave. Hip, hip hooray! When I finally wore it though, I had mixed emotions; It was a lovely shade of orange red on me (but leans more towards orange), and it does brighten up my face to a certain degree, but I found that I get lots more compliments & my face looks so much brighter & fiercer when I wear Jungle Red. I don't wear this as often and I'm still glad to have this color in my lipstick arsenal, but bottom line is, Jungle Red >>>>> Heat Wave, at least for me.

on 1/1/2015 8:56:00 PM

My first orange-red lipstick. I stayed away from orangey reds for a long time as I feel like it makes my Asian skin extra yellow and drained. Heat Wave did not do that; in fact, it was quite the opposite, it really compliments my skintone (NC30 for reference). I also believe that the colour can be worn with a casual jeans and a tshirt outfit or dressed up with a LBD. It is so versatile!

I must agree with the review below; it does make my teeth a tad yellow. But the colour is so perfect on my skin, I am willing to look passed this minor erk and continue to wear and repurchase over and over again!