NYX Eyeshadow Base in Pearl

NYX Eyeshadow Base in Pearl

3.0

I had high hopes for this and it disappointed me so much it hurt. The formula is so weird that it feels like its melted but really it's just that thin. I hated the application of this, it put sparkle everywhere and it wouldnt stay put, applied patchy and moved around. The shadow stuck well but it creased(not too bad of creasing) almost instantly. I don't think this primer is really all that good. I rather stick to my essence liquid primer which works so much better.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I feel confident in giving this a universal thumbs-down, even though I do recognize that we don't all share the same ideals of what a shadow primer should do.
For me, it should create a smoothe blank canvas which will help shadow adhere, stay put, look more vibrant and even. Because most concealers do this pretty well, I rarely purchase a separate primer. Seems superfluous. I just wanted to use that word. But it does.
A white primer with some shimmer appealed to me because it's something a little different and in theory could provide a subtle sheen or depth.
Nuh-uh. This doesn't provide any coverage, the shimmer gets everywhere and has an ashy hue. For me this provided absolutely no benefit as a primer whatsoever.
It's an ok cheekbone and brow highlighter; I wouldn't purchase it for that purpose, but now that I've got it that's what I use it for.

To Read all 44 Reviews, Login or Join

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I use this with a foundation primer over it. After I let the primer dry up I then go onto putting my eye shadow. Without adding a primer my es easily creases, but after using Laura Mercier primer (or any other face primer really) on top of it I find it works wonderfully. The white base makes the eyeshadow vibrant. With a clear primer it isn't quite as easy to achieve the same color that is on the palette to look anywhere near it does when I apply it on my lids. I haven't played around with different types of primers but I find this is what works for me. I can use any brand eyeshadow and it still looks strongly pigmented with this method. I dislike how it comes in a tub like container. I have to dig in my fingers and the NYX gets all under my nails. A tube would be wonderful but I guess they would have to use a different formulation. I used to buy HE makeup just because I thought spending more money meant better quality... But in reality there are so many products that for a fraction of the other brands do just as good as a job if not better. Most of the time your paying for the brand and probably the fancy container it comes with. Regardless, this product is a definite keeper for me.

on 4/15/2015 11:04:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Grey, Wavy, Medium

I have the NYX eyeshadow base in the skin tone color and I really liked that one, so I thought I wanted something different and bought this one. The formula is definitely different and this does not work as well. My eye shadow will crease after 1-2 hours :(

on 6/4/2014 8:53:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I've been using this for months now and lately, after looking at my finished face, and trying to determine what's so weird looking about it, I realized it's this base. I still believe a matte cream, or even shimmer cream, would look good. But this is WHITE. This is a blue-white that no living human should ever have on their face and the shimmer is out of control. I use my naked pallet 90% of the time when doing my eyes. Those colors already have some shimmer. So once I apply it over this, everything blends into a brown disco ball, with scary white in the middle, and I have no real color depth or definition. I switched back to my sample urban decay primer and I looked like a person gain. I now avoid this like the plague. (Side note: I do apply this with my fingers and it gets everywhere. Maybe with a brush you'd have more control but it seems too thick to appt evenly with a brush.)

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I had high hopes for this. I have tried so many eye primers and havent been very disappointed, until this one. (Although Laura Mircier is still my fave)

The shimmer is really quite minimal, so if you were hoping it would add a little more wow to your shadows, think again. It didnt really seem to intensify colors any more then a flesh tones base did. It feels really silky and smooth and blends like a dream and upon application it seemed promising, but it is intensely greasy-creasy and made my eye make up into a hot mess within a few hours

Save your self the hassle and get yourself a maybelline color tattoo; its miles better.

I love the skin tone but for some reason this colour doesn't do it for me, it adds minimal shine and doesn't work as a base at all I use as a highlighter for the inside corners of my eye. Packaging is frustrating too

on 10/9/2013 12:51:00 AM

I love NYX eyeshadow bases but the packaging is so irritating. I have how the pot is too tall for my finger to get in there with out the base getting in my nails. I would apply with a brush but I feel as if that applies a little too much.

on 9/9/2013 10:35:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I loved this while I used it...it made blending of my shadow suuuuuper easy. I can't speak much on terms of color enhancement though because I only use shades of gray and a bit of bronze. According to other reviews, this made other peoples shadows crease but I didn't have that problem. I have oily skin (eyelids included) w/monolids (maybe that's why but even the part where my lid folds over didn't crease).

WHY I HAD TO D/C USE: after using for about 1-2 weeks, my eyelids were swollen and itchy. I stopped using it and waited 2 weeks for it to return to normal. Since I really liked the product though I tried using it again. Nope, same thing. BUT, everyone's different and it's all trial and error so whether or not you're sensitive to cosmetics, it doesn't hurt to try as it probably won't do to you what it did to me.

BOTTOM LINE: It makes blending SUPER easy and it feels nice and smooth going on. I'd probably still be using it if I weren't evidently allergic to it.

This is my everyday go to product and I absolutely love it!! I feel like it works a little better than the flat white one if you are working with pigmented shadows. It really makes your shadows pop and does eyeshadows justice. I never get creasing or smudging with this and my look stays put forever. I like to spread my primer on with my fingers so this is just perfect. There is no need to seek high end counters for a great primer. This product is amazing!! Holy Grail for me!! A+++