Maybelline EyeStudio Quads

Maybelline EyeStudio Quads

3.5

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Hands down best drugstore eyeshadows. People reviewing negatively must be doing something wrong like many say they didn't prime their lids for a glittery shadow and then complain about fallout... like what.. OK so I have 9 of these quads and started with them about 7 or 8 years ago so I know what I'm talking about. They are so pigmented, way more than Maybelline Expert Wear shadows, and super high end looking yet affordable shadows. Seriously, they resemble urban decay so much and have really awesome effects to them like duochrome, awesome diff kinds of glitters and little sparkles or shimmers. And the high shine to these shadows are so intense, many are metallic, which are super hard to find at the drugstore. They bind together really well giving a superior opaque payoff, are very rich and creamy, and blend out nicely. You can't find colors with pigmentation and quality like these. The highlight color in coral oasis is a beautiful peachy pink duochrome and the darkest shade is a rich warm chocolatey brown with copper shimmer and omg are they pigmented. OK enough ranting, if you buy one of these you'll see what I mean. No drugstore shadows come close to these.

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I have owned these palettes in three shades: 05 Give Me Gold & 30 Purple Icon (permanent collection) and 200 Smokey Cinnamon (Limited Edition Fall 2012.)

The performance on these is outstanding. They aren't chalky at all... quite buttery, in fact. The pigmentation is excellent. I discovered these before I started using eyeshadow primer and even then I was impressed with the wear time. Now that I use a primer they could easily last all day. I've never had a problem with fallout from these quads. The brush they comes with actually isn't bad (a double ended sponge tip applicator) but I prefer using a regular eyeshadow blush to apply these with. They blend out flawlessly. These are some of the best drugstore eyeshadows I've used by far. I was surprised to see negative reviews, but maybe I just lucked out with the shade selections I've owned.

The price for these is around $8 if I remember correctly. The packaging is cheap and not very sturdy. I've never had a problem with the packaging itself falling apart or anything, but it doesn't offer very much protection for the eyeshadows, as I'll elaborate on below.

Give Me Gold has a champagne color, a true gold, a copper, and a dark brown. All of the shades have shimmer and all but the dark brown are metallic. I loved this and used it constantly. I had hit pan on the first shade and the third (actually, I'd almost finished those colors up) when one day I dropped it and what was left of the gold and copper completely shattered (I know that's not the right word, but they just got all crumbly and I wound up dumping them out and eventually throwing away the rest of the palette.)

Purple Icon has a silver, a light lilac (those two are very metallic), a medium blue toned purple, and a deep purple. All the shades have quite a bit of shimmer. I LOVED this palette and used the first two colors up almost entirely. Again, I dropped this one one day and the middle two shades (what was left of them) broke into a thousand pieces. Generally I'm very careful with makeup but I used this one and Give Me Gold so much that the odds of me dropping them at some point were high. Purple Icon was the one that popped on my dark brown eyes the most. Whenever I wore it I found myself doing a double take when I saw my reflection in mirrors.

Smokey Cinnamon (which I still have) has a champagne off-white, a cool pale green, a red-brown with green sparkle, and a mossy green. The colors are all shimmery and the first two shades are metallic. I love this one for the fall as it reminds me of leaves. The first shade I have hit pan on, the second has a noticeable dent, and I don't use the other colors in this as much but do occasionally.

If when you're browsing the Maybelline section at Ulta or the drugstore, if any of these quads jump out at you I say give them a go. I don't think I'll repurchase just because they were nice while they lasted but nothing I can't live without. But I say that I'd repurchase because just based on the quality alone, I WOULD. Just probably won't.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

i absoultely love these shadow, i discovered these through Carli Bybel..
& i have the shades olive martini, sapphire stylist, take it off, irrsistibly ivy, sea spirite, smokey cinnamon...

if i had to pick a favorite it would definitely be olive martini . P.S the 3rd shade is a dupe for mac " Blue brown" pigment

please subscribe to youtube channel " Queennnnkay"
instagram @Queennnnkay

Skin: Oily, Tan, Neutral

Not really that pigmented... the eyeshadows are very smooth tough

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I first tried these quite a few years ago now, and the formula is still terible. I am not saying they changed the formula, I do not know if they did or not, but sometimes I re-visit a product and like it. That is not the case with this.

First of all, even touching the product lightly I get chunks falling out of the container. BAD. Messy!

Then the fallout continues when trying to apply to the eyes. No matter what brush I use or what trick and tip I use, the product goes all over the place.

It is a shame because the colors have potential, but the sheer mess is not worth it. And once you do get some color on your lids, they crease easily and wear off fast, even using primers, etc.

Quite honestly I'm kind of susrprised these are still on the market.

I know in general, drugstore eyeshadows still leave a lot to be desired (drugstore mascaras and lip products often are amazing, eyeshadows, not so much..), but this one is particularly bad!! Just a hot mess. Would not recommend.

on 7/27/2014 12:11:00 AM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

For around $8,00 the packaging should be better. I bought a quad and when I got it home one of the shadows just fell out, the plastic housing is really cheap.
The quad I got is LE so I'll just stick to an overall review. The shadows are high metallic shine and some have micro-glitter with a lot of fall out.
I tried the deep brown glitter shade wet as a liner and that was better.
The pigment on two of the shadows were good, other two were uneven and lighter in opacity. Wear was decent with primer not outstanding.
I would prefer at least one matte deep shadow for my crease. If you want shiny eye shadows I would skip these and go to Wet N Wild. The quality is better the hues are just as pretty and it's less expensive.

on 9/14/2013 12:16:00 PM

I have the copper chic palate. I really like the way the eyeshadows look, and they can be put on in different ways for different styles. However, the sparkles tend to get everywhere and the packaging isn't that great. Overall, I love the colors and I get a lot of compliments when I wear these shadows.

on 9/12/2013 11:21:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I have Copper Chic and Purple Icon. I like the first, but the second had lighter shades than I was looking for. I like the vibrant pigments, shimmery finish, and the way that it smoothly applies without falling out everywhere.

on 8/23/2013 1:36:00 AM

I bought this in Sunset Seduction and I love this pallets! All the colors went so well together and the shadows are so creamy and last all day. These shadows did not have fall out and was not filled with chunky glitter! I really loved the brown in this palette I wish they sold it as a single! I defiantly recommend this pallet in Sunset Seduction it is a nice every day pallet. However I haven't been able to find this platte anymore in stores. Blah don't you hate when you fall in love with a product and then you stop seeing it at the stores!! -_-

In love with these little shadow quads as all of the colors are so eye captivating! All colors are super pigmented and gorgeous with some glitter in them. Each shadow in the quad can all be worked together to create a nice look. I dislike how you get a shadow quad and theres that certain color in there that doesn't match or workable with the others that never gets used, not the case here. I own several of them in different colors and love them all. Dont forget your eye primer for the best result and outcome!! They come in a rectangle shaped case and is very easy for travel or carry in your purse because it is small and pocket sized. Great quality shadows to add to your collection! Everytime I go to the drugstore I just want to buy more.