Lancome Chris & Tell

Lancome Chris & TellChris & TellChris & Tell

3.5

on 8/25/2010 11:18:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This really hurt and dried out my lips. The color was very thick and light orangy pink. I would have liked the color more had it been more sheer since it was so bright. Definately a no for me. Very cute packaging though - cool box design, and lipstick cap magnetically attaches to the base. Good job on marketing this puppy too (Anne Hathaway endorcement in In Style and other places, super expensive on ebay). Anyway, I am going back to my MAC Shy Girl and my Shisiedo Baby for this light corally pink look since those work better for me.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

I love this lipstick! Its a matte, creamy, coral pink shade. Its not too coral and not too pink, its somewhere in between. Its a very unique shade and I haven't found anything quite like it. All you need is one swipe on your lips( very pigmented). Again, I hardly buy any drugstore makeup since, I'm a mac addict.
So far drugstore dupe: My friend found a dupe of this lipstick in Revlon Pink About It ( has a more red undertone)
Possible dupe make up forever flash eyeshadow in coral 02. I am addicted to the smell of this lippy!

I don't personally have this lipstick, but I tried the one my friend got. It's a very nice corally pink shade and very easy to work with. At first I applied straight from the tube, and it was too bright for me. So i tried dabbing it on after wiping away my previous application. wow! it's such a pretty color! I wish i got the lipstick before it was all sold out everywhere. I haven't yet found an exact dupe yet, but tried layering two drugstore lipsticks that I own and it was pretty close! I first applied Maybelline's pink please lightly and then smoothed a layer of Revlon's peach lipstick over it. I highly suggest people to try this if they didn't have a chance to purchase Lancome's Chris and Tell.

on 6/19/2010 4:28:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Love it! I went wild this spring for the big color of the moment, "coral". I am not a huge Lancome fan so when this first came out I didnt seek it out, but that was a mistake. Some companies came out with peach or melon colors and called it coral, but true corals have quite a bit of pink. I would call Chris & Tell a true coral. I dont mind the fragrance. I find the formula quite moisturizing. Its soft and blendable. And this color is amazing. If you are a fan of pale, nude or sheer lipsticks this will not be for you. Its bright and bold and the opposite of subtle. You're defeating the purpose if you try to sheer it out. The closest dupe I have is MAC Costa Chic but IMO its a bit more wearable and less garish than Costa Chic. From my collection, its in my top 3 of around 15 "coral" lipsticks.

on 5/16/2010 6:59:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

HA! I did not fall for the hype and did not buy this lippie.. It was loaned to me by a fellow mua for a day...lol. I am sure glad I didn't spend the money for this product which was dry on my lips, and whose color did not work with my skin tone.. and I am pale.

I will continue to love my NARS Niagara and other coral lippies from MAC and EL... no contest.

on 5/16/2010 5:59:00 PM

I'm really glad I got to try this in a swap before buying on ebay. I love the color and finish of this lipstick. The color is a pink with a coral tinge. It's very flattering on my skin at this time of year and definitely brightens up my face. It is *very* similar to Bobbie Brown Calypso Coral pot rouge, though I prefer the color of this a bit more.

What I just can't stand is the scent, it's really too much, it's gross and ritzy, you'd think the more expensive the lipstick, the more delicate the scent would be. Definitely not "young" or "fresh". Oh well, maybe I'll be able to get over it. The color is really fantastic.

on 3/14/2010 7:23:00 PM

This is a very pretty lipstick...if you apply it with a lip brush, set it with powder, and apply again lightly with a lip brush. To swipe it from the tube gives the color that so many previous reviewers found garishly bright. The formula is creamy but less so when applied lightly and set. I topped it with a pale pinky peach gloss and can't wait for the first truly spring day to sport this with capris and sandals! I couldn't give this 5 lippies because it is a shade I have to work with and it isn't one that you can swipe on and go. I freshened it up during the day from the tube but had to blot a bit.

on 2/21/2010 1:33:00 PM

This is a very bright, somewhat garish lipstick that makes me look like a *certain type* of a working girl, I am NC25. I got 2 tubes free from my cousin who works for lancome who found the color unworkable so passed it onto me. This is such an out there coral, the only time I can see someone getting away with it is if you were an old lady. I am a big fan of the formula and have a handful of these lipsticks but this shade will emphasize any imperfections around the lips so ensure that your lips are in tip top shape with no dry skin. I don抰 understand the hype since the people that I have seen wear it look terrible. I think you may be able to do something with it if you layered other lipsticks or lipgloss over it but at that price, a lipstick should work stand alone. If you are going to do all that work, you may as well use something different. Thanks goodness for beauty fanatics and ebay. I was able to sell both tubes for $150. 2 lippies are for the formula, which is great.

Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure

I don't know what's up with all these mediocre reviews. This lipstick is rocking! The color is really unique. It's just enough coral without being too pink. It's one of those colors that makes you feel confident just with a quick swipe. It also has this very nice sheen to it, almost as if you're wearing a light gloss over it. The packaging is very nice. It even has a magnetic closure! The smell is just like the typical roses smell of high-end lipstick. Overall: YIPEE NOT ONE OUNCE OF REGRET! :) Get it while you can!

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

*Pictures and Swatches at the end of this review*
I was so excited to try this on after seeing so many online pictures of it. I have to be honest and say there's 3 things about this lipstick that I don't like!
1. The scent. This lipstick has a strong floral scent to it. I'm not into floral scents at all, so this was a bit bothersome at first. A few minutes after applying it though, the smell was not so strong and for me atleast, bearable.
2. The price. $29 + tax is a bit steep for a lipstick in my opinion. Of course, shipping was free, so that was a factor in my decision to get this. But yeah, this is my first Lancome lipstick and I thought the price tag was a bit hefty.
3. I don't like how it settles into all the lines and wrinkles in my lips. You'll be able to see what I'm talking about in the pictures at the end of the review. It very cruelly accentuates all my lip flaws.
Now that we have the bad things out of the way, let's get to the stuff I do like about it! The color is just beautiful! In my opinion this is a pink tinged coral. I sometimes have a hard time with corals because they'll either be too orange or too red for my taste. This one is a perfect balance! The formula is very creamy and it feels a little bit slippery initially. But I blotted it and then applied more. This took care of that slippery feeling for me.
It's pretty pigmented. My lips are of medium pigmentation and this took a couple of swipes to opacity. Even when applied sheerly it gave my lips an even and nice pop of color! The packaging and lipstick tube themselves are also one of my favorite things about it. The lipstick tube itself is magnetized! I don't know if all Lancome lippies are like this, but I thought it was pretty neat! And the box, it's just adorable! It has Chris Benz and his muse, Elettra Wiedemann (model) in really cute poses.
Overall, I only took one lippie off this rating for the 3 things I didn't like because I feel that I like this lippie more than I don't. I'm really happy to own this and am sure it will get lots of use, especially in the warmer/sunnier months. Here are some pictures of the lipstick itself and lip swatches. They are all in artificial light since it's nighttime, so I do apologize for that.

continued >>