Max Factor Creme Puff

Max Factor Creme Puff
Creme PuffCreme Puff

3.9

on 2/18/2018 1:55:00 AM

I really love this powder. By far, this is the best powder that I have tried. I really love the smell as well, it smells nostalgic. The only downside is the compact itself. Why doesn't it have any mirror?

on 12/18/2017 6:57:00 AM

This powder has been in my makeup case since i first started "really" wearing makeup (college age, thus since i was 20). I am 30 years old today and i have always returned to this little gem, regardless of the powders that have passed through my hands throughout the years.
The only thing i don't like is the packaging- i understand the simplicity, and perhaps that the ladies of the 50s didn't carry smartphones and notebooks and computers and key cars in their tiny purses, amongst an array of other things.
But such an iconic product deserves a case,with a mirror and its puff, you know.
The powder itself is wonderful and goes far beyond what a "normal" face powder would normally do. I don't know how they did it but it truly works wonders on my skin, far far beyond mattifying. It makes my complexion uniform, erases any tiredness, gives it a baby, well rested glow and a youthful appearance. It doesn't clog pores , doesn't overdry the skin and doesn't settle either. I never apply powder under the eye to set the concealer so i wouldn't know how well it performs in that area, but it surely improved my appearance in terms of spotchiness, smile lines and dry v. oily areas with large pores.
Now, the most interesting aspect is the fact that it comes in a variety of shades that perfectly mimic the natural skintone and its corresponding states- flushed, glowing etc. It has a wonderful amount of pigment that helps your skin look the best it can be not only in terms of texture but als in terms of color.
How many times have we splurged on expensive products that claim they would, let's say, fill up our pores? But they didn't do it as they claimed....and they were ashy....and clogged pores and caused breakouts. Not to mention the "light" powders that make our skin look like something that needs dusting....this isn't like that, it does what it should, prolonging the lifespan of your makeup and eliminating oiliness, while pampering your skin and making it glow, in a subtle, fleshy color. It's like the treatment of powders, don't know how to explain.
I love the scent as it reminds me of my grandma, the days when women were "ladies" and always wore powder and lipstick.
Today i wore two shades- Natural 50 and Tempting Touch on top of the Batural Beige 12 pan stick foundation and got a ton of compliments at work. One my colleagues actually knelt down by my chair to look at my skin really closely as she said it looked like photoshop.
Will purchase the other "cult "shades such as the Candle light etc just to see how i can work with them for other occasions, in other seasons and with different makeup looks. But this baby will always be with me.

on 8/11/2017 7:10:00 AM

Out of all the face powders I have tried over the years, from high-end to budget brands, this is my favourite. I had been using 'translucent' for a few years - it lasts - but I just replaced it with Candle Glow, which I prefer. In fact, I like it as much, if not more, as a Chanel one I had years ago, called something like 'candlelight'. Looks great on its own or over a light foundation. It gives a nearly matte, but not flat and dead look, leaving a slight glow, and hardly needs a touch-up once applied. The packaging is plain, with no mirror, and not boxed, but I rather like this lack of fuss, it means we're mainly paying for product, not schmancy-fancy packaging

As for the smell, I was born in 1958 and adore the fragrance as it takes me back to the sixties, so I guess mum must have used it, but I can' remember the actual products - just sneaking into her room and trying stuff out!

I hope Max Factor does not stop making this old classic, popular to this day - which says a lot!

PS. I don't always use budget brands. if I don't get full satisfaction from drugstore brands I splash out on high-end. However, the only item I'm always disappointed in if I don't splash out is mascara - for me its YSL Effet Faux Cils in Aubergine or Chanel Volume in Plum

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I love this powder it has an old hollywood glam to it, light weight and lasts forever.

First of all can I just say - I LOVE OLD HOLLYWOOD - old movies, lucille ball, Marilyn Monroe, Jayne Mansfield so in turn I love max factor based on nostalgia alone and if this product had given me a little more I would've loved that anywaw on with the review.

So I was in boots strolling around and like an idiot I bought the lightest shade without looking at the packaging now in the pan stick I'm a can pull ov the shade twelve and twenty one no problems but this was just ORANGE on me like in the pan it is orange now I give it props for not settling into any lines around my eyes and keeping the concealer intact there, for being lightweight and also the pretty semi gloat look it gives you, but it did nothing for the only oily part of my face - my nose - it was oily wishing half an hour after I applied this and the WRETCHED smell it reeks like an old lady spilled her perfume from circa 1932 all over this powder it's horrific I guess that raps up my review oh and it lasts for about maybe 6 hours on non oily parts of my face so not to bad

I was surprised that I actually like this powder. I first purchased this on a vacation to Europe and have been ordering it through Amazon ever since! Wasn't aware of its legendary status in the makeup world until I did a little research but I can totally see why it's a classic. This isn't akin to the new fangled "effect" powders like the overpriced NARS Light Reflecting Pressed Setting Powder. This is just your basic pressed powder with a light coverage and velvety smooth matte finish. (I will say that it doesn't seem to have much oil-control though). It doesn't deliver the dreaded chalky powdery look that Rimmel Stay Matte or Mac Studio Fix gave me. The finish is very flattering and has a nice subtle glow to it which is odd considering the formula has remained the same since the 50s! Makes you really wonder about the so-called scientific advancement of the modern powders. I will continue to use this because it's affordable and does exactly what I want my powder to do. The shades can be a bit tricky but I've used a couple of them but the idea in the 40s-50s were that certain shades were for "brightening" (Tempting Touch, Light 'N Gay), a soft romantic look (Candle Glow), warmth (Golden, Sun Frolik) or for my pale princesses (Truly Fair).

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

It adds a little bit of coverage but tends to exaggerate wrinkles. Packaging is awful it easily opens in your makeup bag and can make a mess. I think for the price you can find much better product like Rimmel stay matte.

on 12/31/2015 2:57:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

PROs:
- suitable for individuals with normal and combination skin
- neutral toned powders that are suitable for olive and yellowish-complexions
- product looks very natural on the skin, similar to Revlon's Nearly Naked powder, but more finely milled
- affordable
- has a hole in the bottom of the compact. You push a toothpick/ pin through it for easy de-potting.
- powder is firmly packed and is less messy than other pressed powders
- vintage formula (supposedly unchanged since the days of Marilyn and Joan) that links you to the women from the heyday of Old Hollywood

CONs:
- those with oily skin will need to re-touch after 4-5 hours
- can be too drying for those with dry skin
- odor can be off-putting, but does not transfer to the face
- not sold in stores in the US

I have combination/ oily skin, and I have worn this on humid, wet days abroad. I find this to be a neutral-toned powder with decent oil control. It does a good enough job that my forehead doesn't reflect the sun's rays and blind fellow pedestrians by 11 am. The powder has light to light-medium coverage, and the powder looks very natural, even up close.

I find this is superior to Rimmel's Stay Matte Pressed Powder (too pink, poor mattifying qualities), but not as good as Wet N Wild's Coverall Pressed Powder. For best oil control, I use a mineral powder that has titanium dioxide and zinc as a primary ingredient.

Give this product a try if you need a mattifying powder and are in a country where this is sold. Though the compact comes with a round sponge, I recommend using a brush to apply this powder, since a brush seems to give you more even application. I took a lippie off since the oil control properties of this product was decent, but not great.

on 9/15/2015 8:33:00 AM

I have to laugh at all the 'old lady' 'the smell!' reviews.
Obviously from teens and twenties mostly - used to today's sugar/berry/celebrity fume overload.
To me, the smell is very subtle indeed, and not offensive - actually quite nice!, whereas my beloved Rimmel foundation mentioned below - the one downfall of it for me is the horrible strong 'modern' smell which really does cling to your face all day. (I'm 45) Funny these generational smell differences.
I went for 'perfectly fair' which I received today, having gleaned that 'translucent' is actually orange-y - prime nono.
I'm very pleased with this purchase.
My Mum has always used this in 'Candle Glow' and her skin always looks great, never powdery or cakey.
I don't know what my Mac shade is - that seems to be the colour benchmark - but I do know that Rimmel Match Perfection 103 True Ivory is my EXACT skin colour, and it seems this Perfectly Fair powder is too, no orange but also not white and dead looking either - great!
Tried a bit and you would never know it was powder, looking forward to using this as a base, would recommend, you just have to do plenty of research on your ideal colour first - and make sure you're not getting a fake because it seems from reading around, that they exist. I got mine from the allbeauty website.

on 8/7/2015 9:51:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Good product for the price.