Max Factor Creme Puff

Max Factor Creme Puff

3.8

First of all can I just say - I LOVE OLD HOLLYWOOD - old movies, lucille ball, Marilyn Monroe, Jayne Mansfield so in turn I love max factor based on nostalgia alone and if this product had given me a little more I would've loved that anywaw on with the review.

So I was in boots strolling around and like an idiot I bought the lightest shade without looking at the packaging now in the pan stick I'm a can pull ov the shade twelve and twenty one no problems but this was just ORANGE on me like in the pan it is orange now I give it props for not settling into any lines around my eyes and keeping the concealer intact there, for being lightweight and also the pretty semi gloat look it gives you, but it did nothing for the only oily part of my face - my nose - it was oily wishing half an hour after I applied this and the WRETCHED smell it reeks like an old lady spilled her perfume from circa 1932 all over this powder it's horrific I guess that raps up my review oh and it lasts for about maybe 6 hours on non oily parts of my face so not to bad

I was surprised that I actually like this powder. I first purchased this on a vacation to Europe and have been ordering it through Amazon ever since! Wasn't aware of its legendary status in the makeup world until I did a little research but I can totally see why it's a classic. This isn't akin to the new fangled "effect" powders like the overpriced NARS Light Reflecting Pressed Setting Powder. This is just your basic pressed powder with a light coverage and velvety smooth matte finish. (I will say that it doesn't seem to have much oil-control though). It doesn't deliver the dreaded chalky powdery look that Rimmel Stay Matte or Mac Studio Fix gave me. The finish is very flattering and has a nice subtle glow to it which is odd considering the formula has remained the same since the 50s! Makes you really wonder about the so-called scientific advancement of the modern powders. I will continue to use this because it's affordable and does exactly what I want my powder to do. The shades can be a bit tricky but I've used a couple of them but the idea in the 40s-50s were that certain shades were for "brightening" (Tempting Touch, Light 'N Gay), a soft romantic look (Candle Glow), warmth (Golden, Sun Frolik) or for my pale princesses (Truly Fair).

To Read all 43 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

It adds a little bit of coverage but tends to exaggerate wrinkles. Packaging is awful it easily opens in your makeup bag and can make a mess. I think for the price you can find much better product like Rimmel stay matte.

on 12/31/2015 2:57:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

PROs:
- suitable for individuals with normal and combination skin
- neutral toned powders that are suitable for olive and yellowish-complexions
- product looks very natural on the skin, similar to Revlon's Nearly Naked powder, but more finely milled
- affordable
- has a hole in the bottom of the compact. You push a toothpick/ pin through it for easy de-potting.
- powder is firmly packed and is less messy than other pressed powders
- vintage formula (supposedly unchanged since the days of Marilyn and Joan) that links you to the women from the heyday of Old Hollywood

CONs:
- those with oily skin will need to re-touch after 4-5 hours
- can be too drying for those with dry skin
- odor can be off-putting, but does not transfer to the face
- not sold in stores in the US

I have combination/ oily skin, and I have worn this on humid, wet days abroad. I find this to be a neutral-toned powder with decent oil control. It does a good enough job that my forehead doesn't reflect the sun's rays and blind fellow pedestrians by 11 am. The powder has light to light-medium coverage, and the powder looks very natural, even up close.

I find this is superior to Rimmel's Stay Matte Pressed Powder (too pink, poor mattifying qualities), but not as good as Wet N Wild's Coverall Pressed Powder. For best oil control, I use a mineral powder that has titanium dioxide and zinc as a primary ingredient.

Give this product a try if you need a mattifying powder and are in a country where this is sold. Though the compact comes with a round sponge, I recommend using a brush to apply this powder, since a brush seems to give you more even application. I took a lippie off since the oil control properties of this product was decent, but not great.

on 9/15/2015 8:33:00 AM

I have to laugh at all the 'old lady' 'the smell!' reviews.
Obviously from teens and twenties mostly - used to today's sugar/berry/celebrity fume overload.
To me, the smell is very subtle indeed, and not offensive - actually quite nice!, whereas my beloved Rimmel foundation mentioned below - the one downfall of it for me is the horrible strong 'modern' smell which really does cling to your face all day. (I'm 45) Funny these generational smell differences.
I went for 'perfectly fair' which I received today, having gleaned that 'translucent' is actually orange-y - prime nono.
I'm very pleased with this purchase.
My Mum has always used this in 'Candle Glow' and her skin always looks great, never powdery or cakey.
I don't know what my Mac shade is - that seems to be the colour benchmark - but I do know that Rimmel Match Perfection 103 True Ivory is my EXACT skin colour, and it seems this Perfectly Fair powder is too, no orange but also not white and dead looking either - great!
Tried a bit and you would never know it was powder, looking forward to using this as a base, would recommend, you just have to do plenty of research on your ideal colour first - and make sure you're not getting a fake because it seems from reading around, that they exist. I got mine from the allbeauty website.

on 8/7/2015 9:51:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Good product for the price.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Good value for a decent powder with a matte and silky finish. It's heavily perfumed, but I don't mind that. It keeps the shine off my face and gives a medium coverage. It's a great setting powder for your foundation. I need a touch-up once a day, which I think is normal for a combination/oily skin. I only wish they would make a normal compact with mirror for this. The current packaging is the worst! I bought a vintage powder compact for this, which by the way works great! I have my very own "fifties powder compact" for this. Very lady-like!

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I only started using this product recently, after many years of selling it at the pharmacy where I work. I have to say I'm not big on powders but after learning it was the powder used by Marilyn Monroe I thought i'd give it a try. I personally don't mind the smell too much. I love Chanel n 5 and this reminds me of it. It's a vintage product with a vintage scent.

I have to say overall I am very impressed. I went for the shade Golden, which is a warm toned light medium beige, great for my winter skin. I apply it lightly with a fluffy brush and over my foundation. I do my T zone and then my cheeks. It leaves my skin so silky and flawless! Not heavy at all. Got so many compliments the first day I wore it at work saying I have flawless skin. I am now a fan. Also didn't have to retouch it during the day but my skin is normal with some dry patches so no problem with oil. I have not tried this as a foundation on its own but will experiment with it. I would love if they changed the packaging a bit to include a mirror.
It looks great over a very light layer of their pan stick. I apply that with a wet beauty blender and after a few minutes i set it with this. A spray of Urban Decay seeting spray and my skin looks amazing! Better now that I am 43 that when I was 20. Good make up is the key. I didn't have a clue back then 😁

on 2/1/2015 11:14:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

i bought this because my friend's recommeded. i used this juat for touch up make up and i love it. my oily face change become normal again. and until afternoon my friend said, my make up stay like this morning.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Absolutely awful.

Bought this a few months ago, but only opened it recently. As someone with very clear skin, this is one of the few products that makes me break out - after only 3 uses!
Smell is unbearable, far too overwhelming for a finishing powder.
Moreover, despite buying the lightest shade, it has an awful orange tint.

Will not use again, let alone repurchase!