Silk Naturals Eye Shadows

Silk Naturals Eye Shadows
Eye Shadows

4.4

on 1/17/2017 7:23:00 AM

The first few times trying this I was not too excited. I had issues having them adhere to my lids, even though I use UD PP underneath. You NEED a sticky primer ( you can still use it over your regular primer) for the powder to adhere properly, especially for the duo chromes and shimmers. Silk Naturals sells one but I'm currently using Fyrinnae PixieEpoxy and it works fantastic. My favs are Idolize, Dubloons and Adorn..so far!

on 12/29/2016 7:56:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

I got a sample of this in the shade "Parallel" and there's not a spot individually for it, but I did want to say it's a nice shadow. I was going to describe it as a plumey taupey nude brown but when I went onto the site I realized it's a dupe for UD Nooner, which I have. I didn't realize it from the bag or when it was on, (I was looking through my collection for possible dupes) and just thought it was a really nice crease/transition shade.

Comparing it to Nooner, it felt about as soft (but hard to know since the Silk Naturals came loose). As for color it's not a perfect dupe, since it's less deep and more pink/warm versus Nooner which is more plumy and taupe and darker. I actually like them both but I grab the SN a lot because it's such a natural and easy transition shade where it doesn't look out of place with minimal makeup. For example, I use it just with a nude or highlight shade on the lid and it works where as the real Nooner would probably look more out of place without a fuller eye.

I had previously bought the Makeup Revolution Iconic 3 and hated it. These "dupes" are similar in color to the Makeup Revolution one, (more pink and warm and less dusty than the real UD Naked 3) but much better quality. I did the math real quick and it's actually the same price for all twelve dupes from SN as the Naked 3, but you get a free one with SN every $35 you spend. Anyway, if you just wanted a few of the colors from the palette that could be a good bet.

I feel pretty comfortable trying another SN shadow if there was a color I couldn't find at drugstore prices but wanted quality. I love their 8% toner so I could see myself stocking up just to snag a free shadow in all honesty.

UPDATE: Like I said, I ended up stocking up on the toner and grabbing their shadow in "Cameo" for free. It swatches in between Limit and Nooner (or Analog and Parallel) with a taupey plum shift, but applies more brown and neutral than either. It still a great transition shade but much more subtle and slightly warmer than I thought it would be. And they sent another free sample with it, called Custom that isn't sold on their site anymore, but it's gorgeous. Plus blush samples, which I really like as well. :) My next choice would be Petit Fours since good pink mattes are hard to find!

Update 2: I have since gotten a few more colors. So far they are all great. Petit-Fours is an awesome pink matte, I'm glad I got it. I got a sample of "Ruffian" too and it's very pretty. Shoop is a great highlight color, even on the face. I haven't been disappointed in them in the least!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I've tried several of the more neutral shades that SN have to offer, overall I've found the pigmentation, staying power and shade range really great. My favorite, most reached for shades are Mink and Chase. Mink is a softly shimmering, cool toned brown with definite taupe undertones. Chase is a completely matte, mid tone brown that leans a bit warm on me, but both shades are definitely daytime appropriate but could be intensified for a more dramatic look. The little sifter pots are great but I still find using mineral eyeshadow a bit messy sometimes, so I usually put some tape over several holes, so that slightly less product comes out.

on 3/18/2013 10:03:00 AM

One of my favorite lines for loose/mineral e/s. I have 6 shadows from SN and will be going back for more very soon.

The ones I have have been loving lately are:

Doubloons - a gorgeous golden/taupe/pink duochromey color. A unique neutral.
Glory - a minky brown/taupe with subtle pink shimmer. Wonderful for an all-over lid wash, blended up into the crease.
Latent - matte warm brown, perfect for base crease shade or blending.

The texture and pigmentation of these e/s is amazing. Beautifully smooth, easy to blend and last all day without any creasing.

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I have a ridiculous number of Silk Naturals eye shadows. I love that for every $30.00 you spend you get a free one. I regularly use the mattes, and just about anything with an Eyelight finish. I especially appreciate when Silk Naturals dupes a brand that uses Bismuth Oxychloride because that ingredient sets off my Rosacea, and she never uses it in her products. Often times, the only way I can enjoy an 'high end' eye shadow is when she does a dupe of it. Some of my favorite colors include: Kind, Idolize, Cameo, Mink, Tiger Lily, Sepia, Glory, Goddess, Adventure, Linen, Miranda, Chase, Catalyst, In Gear, Kingfisher, and Aubergine.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I haven't had much experience with Silk Naturals' eyeshadows but from what I've tried of them I do not feel inclined to purchase more.

I have a full size of Mink which is supposed to be a dupe of MAC "Satin Taupe" and I tried a free sample of Goddess which is supposed to be a dupe of UD "Venus" from Naked Basics. I've never used the originals but from the description and the swatches I've seen, they seem close enough. Mink is a shimmery plummy brown, and Goddess a demi-matte cream.

The colors themselves are fine and easy enough to blend but they do not have very much adhesion. For me that means they will tend to fade a bit throughout the day even with an eye primer underneath them. For someone else who may be sensitive to the ingredients/binders that mainstream brands use this may be a positive though.

Overall, Silk Naturals' eyeshadow formula seems thoroughly average with poor adhesion.

on 2/12/2013 6:31:00 AM

First of all, let me explain that I have never willingly bought an SN eyeshadow. My very sparse SN eyeshadow collection is courtesy of the lovely owner's generous freebie. So far, I have Leisurely, Trip and Bewitched. However, the only color I have worn frequently enough to review is Leisurely.

I believe it's either been discontinued or only existed as a sample. Either way, Leisurely is a light golden color that would look great as a brow highlight color. For me, I used it as a wash of color on my eyelid since it's a shade lighter than my skin color. The staying power is incredible, I must say. I had it on for a few hours and it remained there despite any humidity.

I'm currently eyeing the other colors in SN's eyeshadow collection (most likely the kits) and will update when I have more. What I really like most is the description that accompanies each eyeshadow color-- very informative and helpful especially since one can't test the products beforehand.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

I absolutely love the UD Naked Palette but the price is extremely high and even for the individual eyeshadows which are about $17-18?? It's just too much especially since I really just like Naked and Buck... Silk Naturals is known for having a large range of eyeshadows that are formulated without harsh chemicals!! I would say these are great dupes for those well-known makeup brands!! I got the Bareback, Stag, and Terra.. I just love love love those shadows. I always wear eyeshadows with a primer, so I wouldn't really know if it fades or creases... They stay on perfectly!! I would re-purchase again, for just $4 an eyeshadow?!!!! But lucky for me, I think these eyeshadows will last for 2 years or longer!! :D

Pros:
Formulated without harsh chemicals
Great dupes for high-end makeup brands
Stays on and doesn't crease

Cons:
Loose powder
Can get messy (not ideal for travel)
Small container (but since for eyeshadows, will probably last for 2 years)

on 5/10/2012 2:01:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

So in love with these eye shadows. I own over 30 colors, that's how in love I am. They are ridiculously affordable, the product lasts forever, and the quality of the shadows is fabulous. The range of colors is mind blowing, you will find a match for any skin tone. The dupes are wonderful, I'll never again buy another Mac eye shadow if Silk Naturals has a dupe. For $4, you get a wonderful little pot with a gorgeous color that will last for months. You absolutely can't get better than that. The colors go on evenly, blend perfectly and stay on all day (I use an ELF eye primer). The colors can be made brighter or be as subtle as you want. Overall, not a day goes by that I don't use my Silk Naturals eye shadows. Try one and you will be hooked, I promise.

on 8/25/2012 4:00:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I have tried several different brands of mineral eyeshadow. Some indie mineral makeup companies have eye shadows that are not smooth powder, but almost gritty without an added base. Silk Naturals has the smoothest formula and their range of colors and finishes is amazing. Out of my makeup collection, the 5-6 days a week I do my eyes, I use at least one SN eye shadow. That says a lot, because I I tend to try/buy quite a bit of natural indie makeup.