Estee Lauder Sumptuous Waterproof

3.0

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

This mascara is garbage. I bought it based on the strength of the non-waterproof version's reputation. Charlotte Tilbury liked the non wp version so I figured (since I was in the mood to purchase a high end mascara) this one would be lovely.

The packaging is great and I liked the brush. But this formula is way too darn dry to build up serious volume. Forget about lengthening too, unless you're willing to tolerate little clumps of mascara caking on your lashes. I couldn't even remember the last time I had spider lashes like this when I tried this mascara for the first time.

For $27, I returned it the same hour I bought it.

If you have Asian lashes that can't hold a curl, this mascara is not your friend in any capacity.

Also, it flakes like a (female dog) when you take it off with makeup remover. Ick.

— This mascara may be waterproof but not oil-proof. It does not last on my combination skin. It flakes off after about 4 hours.
— Not “sumptuous” enough for me. Not very dramatic even after 2 coats. Ok for everyday wear maybe for normal or dry skin.
— I won’t be repurchasing.

To Read all 21 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This mascara elongates and defines my lashes like no other and stays for all day long. I now bought a non-waterproof formulation to compare.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Love this stuff! Lasted through about 20min. of serious crying, a real feat. No running or anything--I did not have to touch up before going out afterward. I live in a dry climate so idk if that matters but it held up all day long for 12+ hours. Definitely recommended! Doesn't feel like tar like some of the cheaper wp mascaras do. The color was nice and it did not clump.

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

At first this was a great mascara, when I put it on, it makes my lashes look like dolly lashes in a way, the fake lashes type. It really makes my lashes hard though. Because I live in humid weather, I found bits of mascara under my eyes. Ever since that day, I did not want to try to see if I would like this mascara, it just doesn't work in humid weather, and it flakes off my lashes after awhile. :/

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Okay, I must say, this is your average volumizing mascara. But not great though. I am currently using Estee Lauder's Sumptuous Waterproof and I must say, I love the original (non-waterproof) version more than the waterproof. Why? Well, one thing that makes me say, "Oh! I don't like this!" is that it flakes like hell. Oh yes, even from the very moment you put it, let it dry and set, it flakes! Your liquidy like mascara turns into dry black flakes that scatters around your eye area and for my case, it went inside my eye and I had troubles taking it out. Good thing I was not in the hurry. I am obviously not in love with this mascara and will NEVER re-purchase this again.

This is my most favorite mascara ever. The first tube I bought was in a duty free store heading back to the States for my grandmother's funeral. I never buy waterproof but I bought this one especially for the funeral and because the price in the duty free store was great, something like 17 Euros. The normal price here in Germany is 22 Euros.
Not only did it hold up well for the funeral, I noticed that it was an amazing mascara! It elongates my lashes and gives me the volume I need. I have no trouble taking it off at night with a waterproof eye make up remover (I use ds - Maybelline). It has never burned my eyes and lasts all day. I love, love, love it!

WASTE OF MONEY!!!!
Irritated and panda eyes with no effect :(

I'm not sure if the lady at the counter of Estee Lauder gave me the right "waterproof" bottle but using the wand at the counter, Estee Lauder's Sumptuous Waterproof Mascara had zero staying power... I was exposed to basically a waterfall amount of water and the mascara did not last. That's how waterproof my HG mascara should withstand. I don't know if I just unfortunately got the wrong bottle given to me/if the formula changed/if the wand really does the magic...

I have had my tube since march (it is now june) and it is still going strong. I do not wear this everyday since it is a pretty hardcore waterproof mascara, but when I do wear it, it isn't dry or anything. I am able to build up my lashes and make them ultra long and thick without clumping, just like the non-waterproof sumptuous. This mascara has serious staying power, doesn't flake and you need a makeup remover to get it off.