Maybelline New York XXL PRO 24HOUR BOLD

Maybelline New York XXL PRO 24HOUR BOLD

3.4

on 9/14/2013 9:59:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Neutral

This is really the best mascara I've used in term of the look it gives me. Long, perfect volume, yet define lashes. Everything is perfect apart from the fact that its really hard to get off. With my thin lashes this just mean that I sometime lose one or two lashes when I took my eye makeup off! =( still , this is the mascara I use every time I go out with friends. I just LOVE how my lashes look with this on.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I like this mascara quite a bit. I initially bought it in 2009 but lost it & thought that some "cult favorite" mascaras would be better (i.e. Maybelline Falsies, L'Oreal Voluminous). Again, mascara is just extremely YMMV that you just have to try several different ones to see what works for you. I am confident that this will be a staple in my mascara stash, though.

I have typical Asian lashes. They're thin and grow downwards, but I am thankful that I have a *bit* of length to work with. Throughout the years I have used mascara, I am a firm believer that the brush is a key player to how the end results look (although the formula is pretty important too!) For me, straight wands keep my lashes more organized than curved wands. Traditional bristles work better for me than do plastic/silicone bristles, but I'm not sure why. Now, I've heard a lot of times that bigger brushes are better for volume. I find this to be true, but I also run the risk of leaving a smudgy mess on my eyelids. This is where this mascara surprises me. The wands are thinner than your typical volumizing mascara. I was amazed by the amount of volume that I got, considering the size of the brushes.

If you do get this mascara, play around with it to see what works for you. I've read several reviews saying to apply the "2" side first, but I'll share what works for me. Before I get into that, I should say that I don't think that this is a primer+mascara duo. If anything, it's more like a mascara+topcoat duo. Side "1" is the actual mascara. I usually layer 2-3 coats of this side. Side "2" is the water-resistant topcoat that also adds a small, extra boost of volume. I add 1-2 coats before Side "1" dries up, wait for all of it to dry, then curl my lashes. The end result I get is dark, full, and clean lashes that stay curled all day. I *do* wish that this gave a bit more length, but it excels at other qualities that I look for in a mascara.

on 2/2/2012 8:37:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I bought this mascara on the recommendation of my college age daughter. I have used these double sided mascaras in the past with good results so I felt the usual pull to try something new. On one side is a black mascara, or "primer" (probably the same mascara as the other end) with a smaller, thinner wand. On the other side is the top coat mascara, with a thicker, longer wand. The primer side does an amazing job of getting all the little hairs and into the tight corners without getting it all over your eyes. The top coat mascara with the bigger wand does a really good job of catching all those little lashes since the primer got them ready with a bit of product. It definitely lasted nearly 20 hours and was still looking great when I went to wash it off with a makeup remover cloth. No clumps, no racoon eyes and easy to remove with a remover wipe. I'm totally impressed and will definitely repurchase.

on 10/22/2011 1:52:00 PM

Awful. Very little volume, no definition and it started smudging within an hour.

on 10/1/2011 8:37:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

Really like this mascara. Gives similar results as the voluminous by L'oreal and the colossal by maybelline (my favorite). I just find it a bit dumb for having 2 sides when there are other mascaras that give the same look with just one coat of the same wand and formula. regardless this is still nice, gives length and defines each lash.

EDIT:
okay i don't know what i was thinking, this sucks!!! such a dryyyyyyyy formula! and i'm not wasting my time putting on 2 different wands of the mascara. It looks like its doing a good job when i'm putting it on, but when i look in the mirror latter on, it looks nothing like when i put it on, instead it looks dry, and soooo much less voluminous than it did before, def would not buy again

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

This was crap. I usually use the Extensions one and I loved it. Thought I would give this one a try. I wore it maybe 3 times. It made my lashes clump really bad. They looked awful. I gave it to my sister.

Sooo disappointed. XXL intense was much better than this. This ruins curl and just goops onto the lashes, making them all ugly and gnarly.

on 3/6/2010 7:00:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is definitely one of my favorite mascaras. This holds a curl all day, add great volume and length without clumping, is very dark black, and definitely bold. When I put this on, my lashes almost look like falsies. No smudging, no flaking. Yes, it is a pain to remove, even with an oil cleanser, but man does it last throughout the day.
I use step #2 first, as this is the side that gives the volume and drama, it has the bigger brush. Then I finish with step#1, which has the smaller brush and is great for separating and for the harder to reach lower lash line. I love how both steps are black, so there is no having to cover any white primer. The price is a little much for drugstore, and I don't like the packaging of the the double wands on either end of the tube, as I find it to be awkward. But the end results are amazing!
EDIT: This did end up smudging under my eyes and even onto my browbone, so I knocked off a lippie and will not repurchase.

on 2/21/2010 6:44:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This really adds length, but no volume whatsoever, which i a tad disappointing. Even after 10 hours it still looked freshly applied no flake, no wear. Rinse off with soap and water, though it took a bit more elbow grease than normal mascara.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I bought this and another Maybelline mascara when Walgreens had a BOGO a few weeks ago. I normally don't like the mascaras with a primer. I am in constant search of a mascara that can lengthen and provide volume. Boy oh boy does this mascara deliver. It gives me the longest and most volumized lashes that I have ever had. I had a lady stop me at the mall and ask me how I got my lashes so long. I am using this mascara with the new L'Oreal Double Extend Lash Boosting serum and I feel that this combo has given me some great results. I think that I have found my HG mascara. It really does last through the day. It doesn't clump or flake and it holds a curl through the whole day. I highly recommend this mascara!!