Maybelline XXL PRO 24HOUR BOLD

Filtered by skin type : Combination
Maybelline XXL PRO 24HOUR BOLD

2.9

Despite its claims of being smudgeproof and having a primer layer, I found this mascara smudges just as much as others. I got raccoon eyes on a regular basis. The only mascara I've found that doesn't give me raccoon eyes is Cargo Better than Waterproof but I hate removing it mascara because I feel like I am pulling out my eyelashes when I remove the "tubes". I just bought the Clinique no smudge and so far it seems better.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I can't stand this mascara. It makes my lashes a bit longer but I want volume. XXL means bigger not longer. Sheesh! Neither side 1 or side 2 did anything that any old run of the mill mascara does. I have to do a bajillion coats to even get moderate coverage.The wands are short compared to traditional mascara. I am going to try to make this work. When I use it with my other recent horrible mascara purchase (different brand)- the result is tolerable. I don't believe I should have to stack mascaras just to get a result I can get with one good mascara but I can't bare to toss out two brand new mascaras. I gave it two lippies because the very black is a nice black. Oh well. Hopefully both tubes of bum mascara will dry up really fast and I can go back to a better product soon.

on 3/18/2012 7:25:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

For a non waterproof formula, it did hold the curl decently for ~ 5 hours. I didn't see "BOLD" volume or anything like that ... just darker lashes, but nothing too notable. I found the 2 steps to be kind of pointless - I tried going straight to step 2 once, and didn't see a huge difference from when I used step 1 first! It's an okay mascara - does the job in darkening lashes, but nothing out of this world :)

on 12/29/2011 6:47:00 PM

I adore the original version of this so I figured I'd try this. I mean, sounds like it'd be amazing. Not so much.
Formula- No primer like the other versions. It's just a regular mascara and another mascara thats waterproof.. = clumps out the yin yan.
Brush- Good. Ordinary brush. Nothing special.
Design/Packaging- Nice. Sleek looking
Price- Pricy for a drugstore mascara.. especially when I hated it. If I'm going to spend that much on a DS mascara, I'll stick with the original formula.

on 12/9/2011 10:35:00 PM

When I first applied it, I was surprised to see how long my lashes became. It was a smooth but clumpy...I've managed to deal with that. Also, why would someone make a mascara that last 24hrs when it's bad to wear it over night? Or is this product safe to do so? who knows...Okay, so after the first step, I then applied the top coat (number 2) and my lashes suddenly looked extremely long and full. Not the best I've used but I'm happy with it. I then curled it then used a brush to remove most of the clumps. It tinted and darken my lashes well and apparently it's build-able too. Overall...it's good. Not the best on the market but it's good for the price I got for it lol

on 10/22/2011 1:52:00 PM

Awful. Very little volume, no definition and it started smudging within an hour.

Absolutely loved this mascara. I used to use the old XXL Intense Volume + Length one but they discontinued it so I had to find another one.

I was skeptical at first about how well this would work, but I found it was great. It does clump a little bit at times, but it's not a big issue; enough re-brushing with the topcoat usually fixes any real problems.

I have very fair, short eyelashes, and this stuff really makes them longer and fuller. Not only that, but despite the fact that it's not waterproof, whenever I go swimming with this stuff on, it hardly marks up my face at all.

on 2/17/2011 11:37:00 PM

I have long but thin lashes, and this mascara makes them look exactly how I want them to look. I am so grateful to whoever wrote on her MUA review to only put the 1st step mascara on the tips of lashes. Without doing that, I am not sure I would love this mascara. For best results when using this mascara I heat up my lash curler with my blow dryer, (if you have never done this be VERY careful, it gets hotter faster than you think-always feel it with your hand first!) then I get a q tip damp but not dripping, and coat my lashes like it's a mascara wand. This makes the mascara glide on smoothly. Then quickly after that I coat the tips lightly with step 1, then right after that use step 2 all over, remembering to wiggle it gently at the base of my lashes to build up volume. I really like the finish of this mascara too, it looks amazing! I will recommend it to friends!

on 11/28/2010 9:37:00 PM

24 hours my ass.

This is a bit fiddly -- a double-ended tube that you unscrew from one end to apply the black primer (brush attached to cap) and on the other to apply the "topcoat." I worry that the lettering will wear off the tube & then I'll be wandering lost in the woods, unsure which end to apply first, but that's neither here nor there.

I actually quite like the results of the "primer" -- very precisely defined, if not very voluminous lashes. When I apply the topcoat, my lashes often get a bit clumpy, and the mascara is actually *so* black that it looks rather fake. I don't mean fake in a kind of awesome "gosh, am I wearing false lashes?!" way -- but an uneasy territory neither big occasion dramatic NOR softly realistic. I don't feel that this mascara holds a curl particularly well, which is additionally irksome.

However, of all the sins this mascara has committed against me, the worst is its CONSTANT SMUDGING. For something that claims 24 hour wear, it comes nowhere close. Full n' Soft WP doesn't smudge on me...and yet this does. Every time. Within an hour or so of application, and regularly all day. I wipe away the smudges beneath my eyes, and by the next time I get a glimpse of myself, new ones have appeared. It *never* stops smudging. I do not wear this on my lower lashes, and have been testing this in non-humid, non-sweaty fall weather. My eyes are not watery. I have tried it while wearing primer potion on my somewhat oily lids & without. It smudges. It always smudges. To hell with you, "24 Hour Bold" mascara. For natural, defined lashes I recommend Maybelline Full n' Soft Waterproof, and for more dramatic and *actually* longwearing mascara, L'Oreal's Beautytubes. THAT stuff will not budge, I promise you.

on 11/11/2010 11:43:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

if i'm being cheap i use maybelline full & soft and on a special day i use mufe smoky lash. my mom suggested i try this because i never use mascara without a primer. after using this for about 5 days, i must say it is def. worth trying! i looove how the primer is black instead of the horrible white like every other makeup brand. the primer's brush really separates my lashes really well and makes them look really long. i wish i could buy the primer by itself because the mascara side is not that great. the mascara brush gives a clumpy application and gets flaky towards the end of the day. however, it doesn't give me raccoon eyes and really lasts 24 hours! the packaging is really chubs and its hard for me to get close to my eyes because the packaging is so thick and chunky. if maybelline was smart, they'd sell the primer by itself in a skinnier packaging because the primer is def. a winner!

Popular Mascaras