Clairol Natural Instincts in Hot Cocoa

Price: $

on 6/9/2013 8:15:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I have been using Heathy Look in 4AB cool chesnut brown"iced chocolate" but it had been 2 months since I last applied it& I was ready to make my hair a bit darker¬ red (iced choc on my hair was a deep brown bordering on black with a plumy tone for like a wk, wich i dont like as much in summer but luv what it fades2 a slightly reddish med brown,2moths later its faded to a light/med brown with lots of blonde)Natural insticts was on sale at kmart for like 6 so i decided would try this as this month we are pinchin pennys &if i can spend a few dollars less then im gonna.I recently choped my hair very short for me (chin lenght) to get rid of all the damage home permanent dye has caused (I rarely use heat appliances, mabey once a wk if im going out, wich we rarely do)and have decided I will never use Permant dyes EVER AGIAN, as I like to change from cool-warm& neutral shades of brown& the demartation lines was just not a pretty look.at the salon I dont get this but salon colors are just too much for me to go in every 3 months...so anyways I did this last night, followed the directions...never been told 2 apply to damp hair b4 but I did it...after rinsing color out,my hair felt very bad.hard to run my fingers thru, even with permants my hair has never felt that crispy, the conditioner helped, felt very slick&could move my fingers thru my short hair.., as soon as I got out& my hair had been in a towel for a good 20 mins I took it down& my hair was frizzy looking while damp!!! Never had that happen b4 either, so I added a glop of my biolage stengthing conditioner for a leave in, that helped but as my hair was drying it was still frizzing, I waited till it was completly dry, while I liked the color (altho didnt seem very "bronzy"to me just a darker version my hair was b4 I applied) I didnt like how damaged&frizzy my hair looked...I havent had to battle frizz in 8yrs ever since I switched to salon hair care so I ened up spritzing my hair& adding my daughter's Brazilian keratin oil& that helped a lot. I dont think I will be purchasing this brand agian sale or no sale. I will stick to Heathy Looks...I added sum pics of the finished color results today.I do like the color just not the damage it seemed to wreak on my hair, if I wanted that id have bought permanat..altho I dont rember a permant feeling so dry wet&or looking so frizzy damp&dry but its been a yr since I used permant dye so I dont know.but i do know I dont like what this felt like afterwards&wont try agian

on 12/19/2009 6:32:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I've used "Hot Cocoa" at least twice, so I knew the look I was going for when I used it this time. This past week I got my hair cut from almost shoulder length to a layered bob just above my chin with wide full bangs. The gal in the pic which my hairdresser worked from had warm chocolate brown hair, and I figured a darker color suited the cut. The Cinnaberry I used 6 weeks ago has faded nicely to a light auburn but I wanted a deeper color.

I already knew that "Hot Cocoa" pulls warm on my dark blonde hair which has red undertones so this result was just what I wanted: rich chocolate brown with golden red and coppery highlights. Not the striped highlights I once paid a lot of money for in a salon. You know, the ones which faded in 2 weeks. These highlights are soft and shimmery and natural and they just light up the face. It's a great look if you want warm tones in medium-dark hair. A definite re-purchase.