Maybelline color sensational in Crazy for Coffee

Maybelline color sensational in Crazy for Coffee

4.3

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Relaxed, Coarse

Ever since I can remember I have always been drawn to brown or beige under toned lipsticks, wearing them all year round (maybe too influenced by being a 90's kid)! I noticed this when I found out wearing these colors is a trend for Fall season. A trend??? I own up to 20 lipsticks that are earthy warm! For me it isn't a seasonal preference; it's an everyday, all year round look! Some of my brown undertoned lipsticks are soft, others dark, I apply them depending on day or evening hours.
I have never been drawn to pink, purple, fucshia or peach lipsticks in my life!
So I was at Walgreens and almost jumped to the roof when I found out Maybelline has a beige/brown section for their Color Sensational lipsticks. I fell in love with all of them but could only choose one! So I went for this shade, Crazy for Coffee!
It is a beautiful warm earthy brown lipstick bullet and it applies smoothly on the lips! It doesn't dry the lips and the color is true to what you might expect. It has a satin finish, but what I mostly love about it is that it can be versatile. You can apply a thin coat for a subtle look or pack it on for nice warm chocolate lips! I absolutely adore it. It is perfect for my preferences and these type of colors combine nicely with my yellow under toned fair skin, red hair and hazel eyes. Adorbs!
These lippies retail for about $7 and I really want to purchase more from this line.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you, that I own this lipstick. I never thought I would own another brown lipstick as I had come to the conclusion sometime in the mid-nineties that they looked like crap on me, and I was never going to waste my money on one again. But I checked out the link provided by the first reviewer to this color and was intrigued. And I'm happy to report that this color does not look like poop on my lip, and is actually a shade that would be really beautiful with with the kind of colors that I wear in the fall....rusts, oranges, browns, etc. It looks nice with my winter clothes too....might even look nice dabbed on really lightly with a tan in the summer. I'm not good at describing colors, but I think the way this mixes with the natural pink of my lips is what sets this apart from all other browns for me. Anywho, I'm pleased with this purchase, and don't feel like I wasted my money.

I bought this lipstick because it was chosen as one of 5 most universally-flattering lipstick shades in the following article on realbeauty.com:

They tested 137 lipsticks in 5 color categories on a group of women of various races and complexions. This lipstick won in the "brown" category.

Notably, this was the only drugstore lipstick in the top 5.

This one looked brown on most of the women in the photos. Strangely on me, though, it doesn't look brown at all but a lovely muted red -- and not even warm bricky red but like halfway between warm and cool, with pink undertones. I'm a neutral fair PPP, Mac NC/NW 10-15. My lips are quite pigmented naturally and have a purple tinge so maybe that's why.

Really it doesn't even look brownish-red on me, and I'm a bit disappointed as I was hoping for a dupe of my favorite brown, the discontinued CG Trushines Cinnamon shine. However, Crazy for Coffee does turn a really interesting color on me. The closest color to how it looks on me in the photos (of the above article) is how it looks on the darkest black lady. I guess on me it is a browny-pink-red.

No doubt the reason this color works on so many skin tones is because it has so much red. To me "brown" has more yellow and orange (orange lipstick tones usually look good on me). So, I guess if you can't normally wear brown this is a good one to try. The more I wear it, the more I like it. Still, I deducted one lippie as this formula has a slight scent and I prefer none.