Maybelline color sensational in Crazy for Coffee

Filtered by hair type : Other
Maybelline color sensational in Crazy for Coffee

4.4

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Love, love, love this color. The formula is great too. It is a nice light to medium brown with no glitter or metallic flecks. Not matte but not glossy. The only small issue is the slight smell of the lipstick, slightly plastic. Goes great with the Rimmel Lip liner in Epic... almost an exact color match.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I concur with the previous reviewer--the reason this is a "universally flattering" brown is that it doesn't have any yellow tones (so even very cool-toned women can pull it off). It is more of a mauvy-gray-brown. For that reason, though, it isn't quite as flattering to my warm-toned complexion as I'd hoped. I do like the color on its own merits as a deeper neutral (it fades to a chic YLBB pinky-nude after an hour or so) and appreciate the sophistication in the Color Sensational shade range, which rivals Bobbi Brown and other more expensive lippies.

The lesson to me, as always, is that "universally flattering" doesn't matter as much as what flatters ME. For that reason, I prefer Cinnamon Stick and Get Nutty in this line. Those are warmer browns that look better on me. I do like the Color Sensational formula and packaging.

on 3/2/2010 2:11:00 PM

I'd been looking for a brown lipstick that wasn't too dark or opaque for ages until I came across the reviews for this one day, checked out the link provided by the first reviewer (thanks first reviewer!) and decided to give it a try. When I checked out the color in CVS, I was skeptical--it looked too much like a darkened caramel in the tube and I was worried it would look orange on my lips. Thankfully for my lips and for womankind interested in brown lipstick, I had nothing to worry about. Crazy for Coffee is a gorgeous medium brown with just a hint of raisin/cinnamon and a bit of gloss that makes it perfect for everyday. Doesn't look muddy, doesn't look orange, and doesn't generate flashbacks of a so-brown-it-was-almost-black lipstick I had that put me off brown lip color for years. Love it!

on 2/17/2010 9:26:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

For those of us who like to look expensive but refuse to put in the money or effort to look this way, this is one of the products that may help you. For one, neither the colour nor the packaging looks cheap. On my Indian skin this is a nudish pink-brown, not a true brown at all, and therefore it works perfectly for everyday. It gives me a relatively natural look that I can rarely find with lipsticks that bill themselves as nude, since they send to be made for lighter skin or for darker-skinned girls who prefer to look like a corpse. It's a little drying, but that's nothing some balm-under or gloss-over wouldn't fix. If you're of my skin tone, you can certainly pair this with a darker eye, but you can still look put together with a little liner and this lipstick. And when your friends gasp and ask you how you came to look so naturally glamourous, you can say "Maybe I'm born with it"...and they'll believe you, as long as you don't include the little Maybelline part.

I bought this lipstick because it was chosen as one of 5 most universally-flattering lipstick shades in the following article on realbeauty.com:

They tested 137 lipsticks in 5 color categories on a group of women of various races and complexions. This lipstick won in the "brown" category.

Notably, this was the only drugstore lipstick in the top 5.

This one looked brown on most of the women in the photos. Strangely on me, though, it doesn't look brown at all but a lovely muted red -- and not even warm bricky red but like halfway between warm and cool, with pink undertones. I'm a neutral fair PPP, Mac NC/NW 10-15. My lips are quite pigmented naturally and have a purple tinge so maybe that's why.

Really it doesn't even look brownish-red on me, and I'm a bit disappointed as I was hoping for a dupe of my favorite brown, the discontinued CG Trushines Cinnamon shine. However, Crazy for Coffee does turn a really interesting color on me. The closest color to how it looks on me in the photos (of the above article) is how it looks on the darkest black lady. I guess on me it is a browny-pink-red.

No doubt the reason this color works on so many skin tones is because it has so much red. To me "brown" has more yellow and orange (orange lipstick tones usually look good on me). So, I guess if you can't normally wear brown this is a good one to try. The more I wear it, the more I like it. Still, I deducted one lippie as this formula has a slight scent and I prefer none.