Maybelline New York color sensational in Crazy for Coffee

Price: $

Price: $

on 2/24/2012 9:39:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I haven't worn brown lipstick in years. At least since 1998. However, I have a tom of pink, red, and plum lipstick, so I decided to try something else. I am so glad that I did. This color looks so good on me. It is really close to my lip color but less pink and more brown. It gives me a polished without being too noticeable look. I do find the formula drying, so I wear chapstick under this. Also, I reapply the chapstick every hour or so. The color fades over time but it takes a few hours. It fades very nicely. No weird lines or feathering.

on 1/12/2012 10:43:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is my new favorite lipstick. I read a blog describing this shade as suitable for a variety of skin tones. Being cool toned, I was skeptical, but I love it. It is rather dry, which I like because it stays on and fades evenly. It's a cool reddish brown on me, and it doesn't scream OLD LADY WEARING BROWN LIPSTICK like some shades do on me. Even hours after application, I have enough color left on my lips that I can apply balm and be fine. If you like lipstick that's rich and moisturising, this probably isn't for you; but then again, a little balm on top would fix that. It's definitely worth trying, and for the price, you don't have much to lose!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I concur with the previous reviewer--the reason this is a "universally flattering" brown is that it doesn't have any yellow tones (so even very cool-toned women can pull it off). It is more of a mauvy-gray-brown. For that reason, though, it isn't quite as flattering to my warm-toned complexion as I'd hoped. I do like the color on its own merits as a deeper neutral (it fades to a chic YLBB pinky-nude after an hour or so) and appreciate the sophistication in the Color Sensational shade range, which rivals Bobbi Brown and other more expensive lippies.

The lesson to me, as always, is that "universally flattering" doesn't matter as much as what flatters ME. For that reason, I prefer Cinnamon Stick and Get Nutty in this line. Those are warmer browns that look better on me. I do like the Color Sensational formula and packaging.