Lipstick Queen Butterfly Ball Trance

Lipstick Queen Butterfly Ball Trance
Butterfly Ball TranceButterfly Ball Trance

3.8

BUTTERFLY BALL FLOAT: INGREDIENTS (CONTENTS): Diisopropyl Dimer Dilinoleate, Polyglyceryl-2 Diisostearate, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Polyethylene, Octyldodecanol, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Cera Microcristallina (Microcrystalline Wax), C10 - 30 Cholesterol/Lanosterol Esters, Silica, Mica, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Disteardimonium Hectorite, VP/Hexadecene Copolymer, 1,2 Hexanediol, Caprylyl Glycol, Propylene Carbonate, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Red 7 Lake (CI 15850). BUTTERFLY BALL FLY: INGREDIENTS (CONTENTS): Diisopropyl Dimer Dilinoleate, Polyglyceryl-2 Diisostearate, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Polyethylene, Octyldodecanol, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Cera Microcristallina (Microcrystalline Wax), C10 - 30 Cholesterol/Lanosterol Esters, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Silica, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax, Mica, Disteardimonium Hectorite, VP/Hexadecene Copolymer, 1,2 Hexanediol, Caprylyl Glycol, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Propylene Carbonate, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140).Source: http://www.lipstickqueen.com/butterfly-ball.html 2017-04-20

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This is a pleasant MLBB pink that adds a little rosy life, plus some shimmer. And who doesn't need a little more shimmeriness in their life? A sheer berry with blueish glimmer, which works well with cooler skintone and helps teeth look slightiy whiter. Doesn't go orange (on me, anyway; I have issues with many reds oxidising on me). No flavour. Moisturising but not long-lasting: this is more like a tinted lip-balm than a full lipstick.

As such, while it's very nice, there are plenty rose / berry / "I just bit my lips and am about to blush prettily" tinted lip-balms out there that are cheaper; and Lipstick Queen fuller lipsticks that are longer-lasting. I happen to like lighter-weight lippie, though, and this one feels very comfortable.

For fellow pale redheads, I can also recommend LQ's Jean Queen and Frog Prince for pink lightweight things (longer-lasting but not as moist), and the glory that is Medieval. I met Butterfly Ball in Trance by accident, as I'd nearly finished a tube of Medieval and it was out of stock everywhere, only available in a multi-pack along with one of the Saints (not my shade, gave it to a friend) and this Trance thing. A happy accident of misfortune. I've finished that original one (they don't last long, used frequently) and repurchased it.

Costs around US $24.00 / CA $ 34.00

Cruelty-free status: the usual one for all products whose sale is permitted in the EU:

Source: http://www.lipstickqueen.com/butterfly-ball.html 2017-04-20

on 12/22/2015 11:21:00 AM

Initially I never thought I would like this Butterfly Ball line, but now I have three, including Trance, which is sort of a sheer raspberry pink. It's not a dark color, but more like the store-bought bright pink berries, but it applies more naturally. The formula is light and sheer, and looks very pretty. There's not any taste or scent that I can discern. It isn't super long lasting or anything, since it's sheer and light without a ton of pigment, but it's easy enough to reapply, and it feels really nice on the lips, and wears evenly without settling in cracks or anything. Plus the hint of blue shimmer does do a nice job of brightening a smile.

on 3/27/2015 2:55:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

This is a lame excuse for a lipstick. There is really no color payoff and it is very expensive. I can think of many other lipsticks or lip balms that are better. The texture is nice and moisturizing so I am adding a lippie for that.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

I'm surprised at the overall lack of love for this product
A key thing to understand is that it's not particularly pigmented. It only offers a sheer tint of colour but what makes up for it is the gorgeous blue shimmer that runs through it. It gives the lip a subtle hint of a sheen that is elegant and suitable for day or night wear.
The formula is moisturizing, giving this lipstick more of a tinted lip balm feel, but again, the shimmer elevates this to something special.
I wear a surgical mask for most of the day and my lips are pressed against the mask for the most part but after taking it off, I'm still left with a tint of colour on my lips
I'm more than halfway through this tube after only three months (I usually never come close to finishing a lipstick) which shows how much I've been reaching for it
I will definately repurchase and would have to put this up there as one of my favourite lip producta

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I love this, I would actually buy it again if I run out and I think I actually will (this is very rare for me!). I think it's better to think of it as a tinted balm a bit like the clarins lip perfector balm/gloss products although this is considerably less glossy. I got it in the discovery set with medieval and saint nude and I was expecting to like medieval the best as that one was the main appeal of the set for me but actually out of the 3 this one is definitely my favourite.

I find it to be the same colour as my lips at their best so all it does for the colour of my lips is intensify it and even out my lip colour. It is only lightly pigmented but does show up well enough to make a subtle difference, I like to slightly over draw my bottom lip to make my lips look a bit fuller and for me this is pigmented enough (just!) to do this. I think the turquoise shimmer is pretty but honestly hardly shows up its more of a cool toned glow/sheen, no visible sparkles really. I like it because it helps lips look a bit fuller without looking frosty and the coolness of it is nice because it imitates that sort of mauvey haze my natural lips have but better!

on 11/12/2014 1:05:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Trance is a sheer coral with irridescence...a little too sheer, IMO: it takes several layers to build up the color to noticable levels. The color never builds up to the point of harshness though, but remains soft. It makes for a good subtle lip. The formula also feels pretty nice on the lips. However, like most Lipstick Queen lipsticks, it has minimal wear time. I'm lucky to get an hour out of it before having to reapply, and that's without eating, drinking, or doing anything with my lips.Given it's sheerness and poor wear, consider this a rather expensive lip balm/tint than a lipstick.

I like Lipstick Queen, but there's just not enough in this particular product to want to repurchase it.

on 1/14/2014 7:26:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Honestly, I don't get the hype revolving around this brand. I bought several of these after hearing so many raves for the line, including Hello Sailor, Smitten, and the "Discovery Kit" that included this one. It's a nice product but there's nothing impressive about it compared to so many other lipsticks within the same price range. Longevity is minimal, the color isn't a stand out, and it feels like a minimally moisturizing balm. I wanted something about this to just wow me.

The color is similar to dozens of other medium, cool toned pinks. The description says it's fuchsia and it definitely seems like a subdued version of that. It's gives me that pretty flushed lip look when I wear it and the shimmer is subtle. I actually enjoy the sheerness of it since my own lip color is fairly pigmented and it allows that to show through. But this just disappears on me in under an hour, leaving a scattered coating of turquoise shimmer.

It feels like a very thin balm, slick but not enough for it to move around. Perhaps the thinnest feeling lip product I've ever worn, which is probably why it doesn't last. When it wears away my lips feel drier too.

I'm so disappointed in this and I'm glad Nordstrom's has such a good return policy. I'm giving it two (generous) lippies because of the unique turquoise shimmer and the sleek, sturdy metal packaging.

on 5/2/2011 3:56:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Sure... this is a lovely, soft, moisturizing, sheer pretty color. But it doesn't last at all. So enjoy it while you can!

on 3/25/2012 12:46:00 PM

I bought this in a package with two other Lipstick Queen lipsticks. I like them all, but I have to give this one a low rating since it smells like a crayon gone bad. The other two smell fine.

on 2/18/2013 11:43:00 AM

I ended up loving this for the exact same reasons I was initially reluctant to buy it. It is incredibly sheer, so sheer I initially dismissed it as useless. It has the beautiful Butterfly Ball turquoise shimmer the whole range has, and coupled with the blue based mid tone medium pink base it gives a very subtle sheen and shine with the smallest touch of colour to catch the eye.

The reason I came around and actually bought this was because I was looking for something more like a tinted lip balm rather than a full colour lipstick. Something I could apply in a flash and not have to worry about perfect application, something that had subtle colour, but wasn't boring. This ended up working perfectly. I work with animals and have a physical job, so I'm not overly comfortable looking too made up. I keep this in my pocket and basically use it like a balm. I don't need a mirror to apply, and it's smooth and moisturising, very emolient, it feels so nice on the lips and gives a gentle sheen both from the shimmer and the formula. I can pop on a light coat for the softest effect, or build it up a little to play up the colour somewhat. Like all Lipstick Queen products, there's no scent, so it has a very faint sort of "lipstick" smell and taste. Longevity isn't amazing, but as I use it as a balm, I tend to apply quite often. It wears away evenly and doesn't leave odd looking shimmer or glitter on the lips. You can't feel any of the shimmer particles either, which is a bonus.

As a traditional lipstick, it's not really something I'd wear if I wanted to complete a full face look, and I feel it looks better on paler skin tones, but for a natural or no make up look, it has its uses. It really does brighten up your whole face, makes lips look fuller and smoother and just gives a little lift without looking obvious.

I feel it is important to mention that the other colours in the Butterfly Ball range are more pigmented, nowhere near as sheer and last a lot longer than this one. The range really is a lovely concept, and the shimmer is delightful and plays so nicely in the light, and the formulas feel amazing on the lip,