Shu Uemura Hard Formula Hard 9

Shu Uemura Hard Formula Hard 9

4.7

Hydrogenated castor oil, stearic acid, cera microcristallina / microcrystalline wax, candelilla cera / euphorbia cerifera (candelilla wax), carnauba / copernicia cerifera (carnauba) wax, rhus succedanea / rhus succendanea fruit wax, hydrogenated coconut oil, hydrogenated palm kernel oil, hydrogenated palm oil [+/- May contain: mica, CI 77492, CI 77491, CI 77499 / iron oxides, CI 77891 / titanium dioxide]

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

This is an excellent product in four aspects. It looks entirely natural, it's long-wearing under wet or humid conditions and everything in-between, it's very sturdy in that it does. not. break (it's rolled off my table to a tiled floor countless times), and the pencil will last you a very long time.

The colour looks natural
I'm fair-skinned and of Chinese heritage, with undyed black hair and black eyebrows. I use Stone Grey (05) which is fantastic in how natural it looks. It just blends into my natural brows, I can go out having only applied the Shu pencil and never look like I'm wearing makeup. I've tried the brown eyebrow powder from Essence, which is highly rated on Makeupalley, but it was too warm-toned and unfortunately noticeable against my Asian brows. The only other eyebrow product I'd consider is the Suqqu Eyebrow Liquid Pen in Moss Green. From the way David Jones is raising the Shu's price in Australia, I might just buy the Suqqu pen from Selfridges.

Long-wearing
I wear the Shu pencil on an almost daily basis. If I'm going out of my house, I'm at least filling in my eyebrows. I've worn it from 7AM to 10PM, walking through biblical downpours in the smoke and smoulder of the city, and sweating outside on a 40C humid summer's day, sometimes in all aforementioned conditions in one day. The pigment has never melted off or slid around. Even though my blush has disappeared and my concealer/foundation is melting or dried around my nose and chin, the Shu has stuck with me through and through and looked as perfect as the morning I applied it, the Shu is a great comfort to me.

Sturdy
The Shu pencil has rolled off my bathroom counter too many times to count. I think the company uses a hardwood and definitely formulated the pencil lead for its "Hard Formula" name. I've had normal 2B pencils break or their leads internally fracture when dropped on hard floors. Anyway I'm extremely impressed with the sturdiness of the Shu pencil.

Value-for-money
Related to the hard formula is how long this pencil will last you. I bought my Shu pencil on 22 January 2016 (yes I keep records like that). To even date, with almost daily use, I have 164mm left. Unfortunately I didn't think to measure the pencil when I bought it, but I estimate that I've used 1/4 of the pencil.

On a final note on application, as many senpai reviewer have mentioned, the Shu pencil is very faint and shy with its pigment because it reacts to the oils in your skin. I consider this one of the crowning glories of the Shu pencil. I never worry about crayon Shin-chan eyebrows unless I've accidentally rubbed moisturiser or sunscreen through my eyebrows.

On cleansed and un-moisturised eyebrows, you really can build up the Shu naturally. If you *want* strong Instagram-worthy brows, just spread moisturiser or your daily sunscreen through your eyebrows and you'll notice the difference.

I got the hard9 in seal brown (02) and in stone grey (05).
Stone grey is the best shade ever if you have super greyish dark blonde hair. My eyebrows are super ashy, so I'll stick to 05.
It's long-lasting and I assume that the pencil will also last forever because it's really long compared to most eyebrow pencils on the market.
I don't like the typical Shu Uemura shape, so I sharpen ist just like an usual pen and it's fine.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is the best eyebrow pencil for dark brows! I use Stone Grey and it doesn't pull red/warm at all and blends in with the color of my brows without looking stark black. The best thing about this pencil is that it looks very natural and it's almost impossible to over-draw your brows even if you're starting with sparse ones. I've tried many pencils, including Anastasia Brow Wiz, and none of them can give me the same effect. I use this to make my brows look fuller, but do usually set it with a gel or powder on top. Finally, the pencil itself lasts for a very long time; I used mine for years before needing to repurchase. I don't sharpen it as often as some others might, but even then I think it would last longer than the average brow pencil.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This pencil is a great value, it's longer than normal brow pencils....about the length of a wet and wild eyeliner pencil. The hard formula does not wear down quickly. It applies well and is easily softened by a spoolie. I've had one pencil for 2 years ( to be fair I don't use it everyday) but It's still better than half of its original length. I use stone grey and have black hair. It's not a harsh dark color but certainly matches my hair color better than a dark brown. I recommend having this pencil in your makeup rotation. A high end product that is definitely worth the money.

on 9/11/2015 8:23:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I wish I had found this brow pencil earlier. I've spent one ABH brow wiz and three MAC eyebrow liner this year and I couldn't imagine spending $100 a year only for brow product. They are great products but run out too quickly, which make the products too expensive. This one, has even higher price tag, but given the amount, I guess it will last years to come, and it's a great product! You can't go wrong doing your brow with this product, as the color will only show when put on your brow hair. It's perfect for those who's looking for a fresh natural brow look. If you like the today's thick brow trend or the 60s brow, this is definitely not for you. However, it has slightly less lasting power than MAC one, and less waxy to hold brow hair in place, but still a great alternative for a perfect natural everyday use.

on 6/1/2015 4:34:00 PM

I've tried many different brow products, including products from Rimmel, Chanel, benefit and other.
The fact is I can't remember the other brands I've tried because this brow pencil from Shu uemura has lasted me for over 2 years!
I don't sharpen it very often so presumably that's prolonged it's lifespan, but I do use it every day!
Mine is a perfect colour match and looks so natural!
I could not wish for anything more from brow pencil!

on 7/17/2014 1:45:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Expensive but truly worth it. Looks completely natural. I bought the color stone grey and if anyone LOVED the charcoal grey Maybelline brow pencils that got annoyingly discontinued, this Shu Uemura pencil in this particular color is all you will ever need. It's a long pencil, and I would not have it sharpened in the special long flat shape they recommend-sharpening to a regular point for me is preferred-because I'd worry about it getting wasted and not lasting as long. Maybe I'm wrong but it's the perfect scenario for me anyway. A little goes a long way and wears so well that the price is justified I think. THIS EYEBROW PENCIL IS ABSOLUTE PERFECTION! :-) I will absolutely repurchase as long as I live!

on 9/29/2014 12:35:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

The BEST brow pencil I've come across. I have Stone Grey and it is THE PERFECT shade for dark brown to black brows. Texture is hard and doesn't go on skin easily which is a good thing when doing brows as it lends to a much more natural look. Doing my brows have become so much easier with this pencil, I used to hate doing my brows but I actually like doing them now! It will last a long time too so it's not expensive. I will repurchase over and over again.

My brows are sparse and thin. Aside from that, I have oily skin. I usually use powder but I just wanted to give this a try. I had to resell it bcos it slides off easily since I have oily skin. Very easy to build up, in terms of color but I didn't find it long lasting.

on 6/2/2014 3:47:00 PM

One of my all time classic favourite makeup products! I have bought more than 3 of these and want to try different shades. This is extremely good for colour and shaping the brow due to the oil base for my dry skin and the angular tip that it is sharpened at, the colour is very natural and builds up very smoothly. I really like the natural look that it becomes over the day, it tends to change on my skin. After about 6 hours of wear, particularly in the summer, it tends to melt away slightly but I usually don't top it up on a normal day because it has a very organic look. One pen for me usually will last a year because you don't need to use a lot, apply at the front of the brow and brush outwards. Highly recommend it for people with dry/normal skin.

Popular Brows Products