Shu Uemura Hard Formula Hard 9

Shu Uemura Hard Formula Hard 9

4.6

Hydrogenated castor oil, stearic acid, cera microcristallina / microcrystalline wax, candelilla cera / euphorbia cerifera (candelilla wax), carnauba / copernicia cerifera (carnauba) wax, rhus succedanea / rhus succendanea fruit wax, hydrogenated coconut oil, hydrogenated palm kernel oil, hydrogenated palm oil [+/- May contain: mica, CI 77492, CI 77491, CI 77499 / iron oxides, CI 77891 / titanium dioxide]

I got the hard9 in seal brown (02) and in stone grey (05).
Stone grey is the best shade ever if you have super greyish dark blonde hair. My eyebrows are super ashy, so I'll stick to 05.
It's long-lasting and I assume that the pencil will also last forever because it's really long compared to most eyebrow pencils on the market.
I don't like the typical Shu Uemura shape, so I sharpen ist just like an usual pen and it's fine.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This pencil is a great value, it's longer than normal brow pencils....about the length of a wet and wild eyeliner pencil. The hard formula does not wear down quickly. It applies well and is easily softened by a spoolie. I've had one pencil for 2 years ( to be fair I don't use it everyday) but It's still better than half of its original length. I use stone grey and have black hair. It's not a harsh dark color but certainly matches my hair color better than a dark brown. I recommend having this pencil in your makeup rotation. A high end product that is definitely worth the money.

To Read all 22 Reviews, Login or Join

on 9/11/2015 8:23:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I wish I had found this brow pencil earlier. I've spent one ABH brow wiz and three MAC eyebrow liner this year and I couldn't imagine spending $100 a year only for brow product. They are great products but run out too quickly, which make the products too expensive. This one, has even higher price tag, but given the amount, I guess it will last years to come, and it's a great product! You can't go wrong doing your brow with this product, as the color will only show when put on your brow hair. It's perfect for those who's looking for a fresh natural brow look. If you like the today's thick brow trend or the 60s brow, this is definitely not for you. However, it has slightly less lasting power than MAC one, and less waxy to hold brow hair in place, but still a great alternative for a perfect natural everyday use.

on 6/1/2015 4:34:00 PM

I've tried many different brow products, including products from Rimmel, Chanel, benefit and other.
The fact is I can't remember the other brands I've tried because this brow pencil from Shu uemura has lasted me for over 2 years!
I don't sharpen it very often so presumably that's prolonged it's lifespan, but I do use it every day!
Mine is a perfect colour match and looks so natural!
I could not wish for anything more from brow pencil!

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is the best eyebrow pencil for dark brows! I use Stone Grey and it doesn't pull red/warm at all and blends in with the color of my brows without looking stark black. The best thing about this pencil is that it looks very natural and it's almost impossible to over-draw your brows even if you're starting with sparse ones. I've tried many pencils, including Anastasia Brow Wiz, and none of them can give me the same effect. I use this to make my brows look fuller, but do usually set it with a gel or powder on top. Finally, the pencil itself lasts for a very long time; I used mine for years before needing to repurchase. I don't sharpen it as often as some others might, but even then I think it would last longer than the average brow pencil.

on 9/29/2014 12:35:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

The BEST brow pencil I've come across. I have Stone Grey and it is THE PERFECT shade for dark brown to black brows. Texture is hard and doesn't go on skin easily which is a good thing when doing brows as it lends to a much more natural look. Doing my brows have become so much easier with this pencil, I used to hate doing my brows but I actually like doing them now! It will last a long time too so it's not expensive. I will repurchase over and over again.

on 7/17/2014 1:45:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Expensive but truly worth it. Looks completely natural. I bought the color stone grey and if anyone LOVED the charcoal grey Maybelline brow pencils that got annoyingly discontinued, this Shu Uemura pencil in this particular color is all you will ever need. It's a long pencil, and I would not have it sharpened in the special long flat shape they recommend-sharpening to a regular point for me is preferred-because I'd worry about it getting wasted and not lasting as long. Maybe I'm wrong but it's the perfect scenario for me anyway. A little goes a long way and wears so well that the price is justified I think. THIS EYEBROW PENCIL IS ABSOLUTE PERFECTION! :-) I will absolutely repurchase as long as I live!

on 6/2/2014 3:47:00 PM

One of my all time classic favourite makeup products! I have bought more than 3 of these and want to try different shades. This is extremely good for colour and shaping the brow due to the oil base for my dry skin and the angular tip that it is sharpened at, the colour is very natural and builds up very smoothly. I really like the natural look that it becomes over the day, it tends to change on my skin. After about 6 hours of wear, particularly in the summer, it tends to melt away slightly but I usually don't top it up on a normal day because it has a very organic look. One pen for me usually will last a year because you don't need to use a lot, apply at the front of the brow and brush outwards. Highly recommend it for people with dry/normal skin.

My brows are sparse and thin. Aside from that, I have oily skin. I usually use powder but I just wanted to give this a try. I had to resell it bcos it slides off easily since I have oily skin. Very easy to build up, in terms of color but I didn't find it long lasting.

on 3/18/2014 10:20:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Full Size Image

Swatch L: Revlon Colorstay Brow Enhancer in Blackened Brown. R: Shu Uemura Hard 9 in Stone gray 05.

I bought this pencil to replace my previous HG, Revlon Colorstay Brow Enhancer in Blackened Brown, which was discontinued and also $10+ for a product that lasted a few months of almost daily use. The Shu pencil will last years provided I don't lose it- it's that long! So, even though I spent nearly $30 on this pencil, it's a bargain compared to my old option.
Next, on to the flattering color, which is PERFECT on my somewhat sparse asian brows. I was afraid of getting a pencil (bought it on Amazon.com) that was too well, gray. But, as you can see in the swatch, the color is mostly cool yellow and ash brown with minimal red. The seal brown, which I saw swatches of online (do a google search!) looked too red-orange-brown (too warm) for my taste.
The formulation stays true to color and stays put all day. I have fairly oily skin near my eyebrows because of the sunblock/moisturizer I wear, so this stuff is pretty tenacious. I haven't had any issues with too little pigment or a difficult application even in areas with no hair. It goes on easily and smoothly, looks natural, stays, color is perfect. Love it and recommend!

Popular Brows Products