Target - Up & Up Makeup Remover

Target - Up & Up Makeup Remover

3.3

This makeup remover was completely useless.
First thing I noticed was that it smelled just awful. At first I couldn't place the scent, but I knew I had smelled it before. Finally, I realized it smelled just like Queen Helene Mud Mask (how odd!). It's hard to explain, but the fragrance is just really unpleasant to my sense of smell- very harsh, almost medicinal yet perfumed all the same. Like the geriatrics wing of a hospital distilled into one bottle. Yuck.
I could have put up with this if it actually worked. I don't use any waterproof products (Estee Lauder liner and CD Iconic Mascara), so it's not like a makeup remover has all that much to do. I soaked a cotton round with it, and not only did it not remove my mascara, but it made it into an oily mess around my eye area. Ever have that? The more I tried to wipe it off, the more residue went on my skin. After a few wipes, I looked like a raccoon and though I tried a fresh round with more remover, it was a lost cause.
I normally wouldn't bother to rant about something as trivial as makeup remover, but it got even worse! My eye area started to burn! I spent the next 30 minutes flushing out my face.
The one redeeming quality this remover has is that it removes lipstick quite well. (however, it is an eye remover... so no brownie points there)
I was going to try to use it in my brush cleaning recipe but it left my brushes smelling awful.
It's worse than water, because at least water doesn't smell bad, make eye products stick to your face or burn your skin!
I really hate this product, can you tell?

on 3/5/2010 6:04:00 PM

I really like this stuff! I needed something to replace my MK makeup remover because it is a bit on the spendy side so I thought I would try this. It works well and the price is nice as well. I always use WP mascara and this takes it off without a problem. I have sensitive skin around my eyes and this doesn't burn or feel greasy at all either. This is a good alternative if you are looking for something that works and is cheap. But anyway, I just finished a bottle of this so I am off to buy another one. Great product!

on 3/10/2010 8:19:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I found 2 different Up & Up (Target's generic brand) eye makeup removers: One is a dupe for Neutrogena's version (purple labeling) and the other is for the L'Oreal dupe (blue labeling). The rating I posted is for the Neutrogena version.

I'll start with the Neutrogena dupe (purple one). This bottle is 5.5 oz . You can see the liquids separated in the clear bottle so you need to shake it before applying. I've never used the original product but it says it's oil-free. When I applied it when a cotton ball I didn't feel like there were going to be any eyelash casualties. No pulling or rubbing to get my waterproof mascara off. I could tell all of it was coming off because the cotton ball was so dark. There are two great things about this remover:

1) I only needed one cotton ball for both eyes as opposed to 2 or more with other eye makeup removers I've tried.

2) I don't have sensitive eyes but this stuff was super gentle. No tears or burning!!

The only con is that you do have to rinse the product off because the liquid does feel a bit oily (but it's oil-free?). Overall, I don't care if I have to rinse since this takes off everything. The only thing I would change about the packaging is that I wish the opening was smaller (like a disk-like covering with a smaller opening in the middle of it? get it?) so that product doesn't absorb too much on the cotton ball and there's a lot wasted.

Now for L'Oreal dupe: (my rating is a 0)
This bottle is smaller, closer in size to the original product. I've tried the L'Oreal makeup remover and that stuff stung my eyes so bad! I had to use a lot of cotton balls to remove waterproof mascara and it still felt that it wasn't completely removed. This generic brand works the same way. I hated this one.

I'll definitely buy the Neutrogena dupe again. The L'Oreal dupe is going back to Target.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

It is a pretty good dupe of other eye make up removers, and does a excellent job at taking offf my eyeliner and shadow. how ever it feels like soap when it seeps in to my eye and its a little discomforting :(

on 6/21/2010 9:06:00 PM

This product does not do anything. It can not take off my mascara, even with non-waterproof ones.
Thought it is cheap, it still does not worth it. I ended up throwing the whole bottle away.

on 9/19/2010 6:30:00 PM

Works just as well as Neutrogena's makeup remover!
(the purple container one that you have to shake up)

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This is for the purple bottle which is oil-free.
- Works well to remove waterproof makeup
- Not oily residue
- Does not sting the eyes

Soak a cotton ball with product and leave it on the eyelids for a few seconds before wiping makeup clean.

In my opinion, it works better than Neutrogena, Almay and Rimmel's makeup remover. Plus, it is cheaper. If I can compare it to a high-end makeup remover, it would be the Clinique's Take the Day Off Eye makeup remover.

on 11/27/2010 3:21:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure

I think that this is irritating my eyes. I keep finding these patches of skin underneath my eyes that are peeling. Its also very itchy and has caused breakouts on my lids. I will not be repurchasing this product at all.

on 11/30/2010 9:54:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

I believe I have the green bottle of this (supposed to be the L'Oreal dupe). It does not remove my waterproof makeup or long lasting eyeliner well at all. It just does not do what it needs to do for me so I will not be repurchasing. It is worth paying for the name brand in this case.

on 12/31/2010 4:42:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

The Neutrogena dupe (purple bottle from target) is really good.

Prior to finding this, I've used Almay (boo!), Sonia Kashuk, and Neutrogena and I always found myself going back to Neutrogena. I decided to try this since it was cheaper, and I'm glad I did.

In some ways, I actually like it better than the Neutrogena one because I found it to have a milder residue that left my eyelids less greasier. I also found it to remove my makeup much faster and easier.

However, I noticed after a while, it started to dry out the skin around my eyes and left patches. These patches were intensified by the winter weather and by the fact that I skipped out on moisturizer most days. After I restarted my daily moisturizing regiment, however, these patches soon disappeared and never returned. Another bummer was the packaging. Maybe it was just my bottle, but when I traveled with it, it spilled. :[ I guess the cap doesn't completely seal it... Thank goodness it was in a small plastic bag.

Overall, I would most likely purchase this again because of the price and pretty good quality. :]