OPI Alpine snow

OPI Alpine snow

3.5

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

I'd rather use White out! The brush that I usually love from OPI is too wide to freehand this very flat opaque bright white so you end up with a thick and sometimes wobbly tip line. I'm not going to bother with stickers or any assistance in making a nice tip so I'm glad this was just a mini I got in a set of other OPI stuff.

Not happy with the goopy thick blobby way it applied either. Streaky too. A thinner coat, even if it isn't sheer, is OPI standard, and this didn't have the usual smooth application. Now that might be just because of the mini bottle, but I don't think so, I also got Passion, Malaga Wine and Big Apple Red in that same set, and they all applied just fine. (I bought 2 Malaga Wines for my daughters, and I am buying a Passion for me this morning and I'm thinking of buying Big Apple Red too-- all terrific shades, but NOT this one, and I so wanted a good opaque white to round out my collection!)

I'm not a fan of the bright fake white tips to begin with so if you are like me, try the sheer white of Essie Waltz. That you CAN freehand, because it is sheer enough that any line that goes wrong will blur out by the time you get 2 coats of Bubble Bath, Mademoiselle or Passion on top.

Because this is more a colour and opacity preference, I started with my usual OPI rating of 4 stars, taking 1 off for the brush and another off for application issues. I really think if the product is designed for tips, a thinner more precise brush would be helpful. I took the other star off for the goopy thick application and clumpy streaky look.

on 2/9/2016 3:32:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I bought alpine snow to replace White Matter by Formula X, which I liked but was a little pricey and less easily available. Alpine Snow is a starker white and has a thicker formula than the Formula X, though this isn't necessarily bad or good-- just depends on your preference. I do prefer OPI's pro-wide brush to Formula X's thinner model though. Like all of the white polishes I've tried, this needed 2-3 coats to be opaque (2 on my left hand, 3 on my right), and requires care not to streak. It is reasonably self leveling as long as it has time to settle without too much moving, and it lasts and average amount of time as long as the coats aren't too thick (between 4 and 7 days depending on activities). Not a particularly shiny finish, definitely needs a topcoat for that extra lustre. I don't do french manicures, but I can attest that it is a pretty good base for glitter or texture topcoats. Overall a decent white, and I'll finish my bottle, but I don't think I'll repurchase.

To Read all 115 Reviews, Login or Join

on 9/23/2015 6:41:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I'm so sad I cant find a good white nail polish. Alpine Snow was very streaky even after a few coats. very goopy. it reminds me of white out in texture

Pretty color but a bit too stark. If you want a color that is not such a intense white try Nicole by OPI in Yoga then yogurt. I
Love that color.... Applies like a dream and is a bit more dull than a super stark white!!!! So nope would not buy this when I can have YTY by Nicole....I do
Like this on toes though...

on 5/25/2015 1:15:00 PM

It looks streaky even after 3 coats, peel off quickly (3 coats=too thick), it's a mess to apply it because of the weird brush...I'm going to return it.

on 7/9/2014 3:50:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This polish is streaky at first and you do have to fight with it a little bit at first. Now I'm used to it I only need to use two coats to get an opaque finish, a lot better than the many other white polishes I have tried. I wouldn't personally use it for french manicures, simply because of the wide brush OPI use, but with some guides and a little patience I'm sure it would work well

Fantastic, OPI is my new favorite nail polish brand. Durable, opaque color, dries fast.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This nail polish reminds me of some cats I've known: TOUGH to get to know, but once you find the groove, SWEET payoff.

TOUGH: thick formulation that needs the steadiest and most careful of hands to apply evenly; takes longer to dry than other OPI colors.

SWEET: a bright, versatile white that looks sizzling hot on its own and makes effects topcoats pop like nothing else.

Probably obvious, but this nail polish is not actually a cat.

on 4/17/2014 12:40:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

This is so streaky and thick, it takes me 3 coats for this polish just to look good.

Bought it for SGD10, and will never buy again!

on 1/27/2014 11:08:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Bright pure white polish, like white out white. I used this for a french mani and while it's a lovely shade it' not super realistic to use as it is such a pure, bright white. I personally didnt have any issues with streaking and used two coats on the tips of my nails Dried pretty fast. As with other OPI shades it's a tad pricey at $9 a bottle. I could see this being a versatile shade and would great with glitter top coat or mattified.

Popular Polishes