Kenzo Flower by Kenzo Essentielle

4.6

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This I would classify as a spicy Oriental; and the lasting power is not that great. It opens as a mild spicy Oriental, although not a heavy one, and the scent varies in the notes greatly. I do detect a very slight sweetness on the dry-down, if for half of a nano-second.

I always spray my fragrances either on my clothing, or I will spray and 'walk into' the fragrance (while clothed), so the fragrance does not mix with my skin so much. This scent lasts on me barely an hour, two hours tops if I spray more than a couple of sprays. I think the issue for me from really liking this, is that it has a rather overly strong smokey note to it, and the smokey note mixed with the balsamic and rose notes just comes off as a little bizarre to me. But I definitely detect the smokiness and the incense and the powdery notes; they are quite strong. There is also quite a strong musk note to this. All in all it just comes off as kind of bizarre to me; nothing extremely offensive, I do not get a headache from this, but it is just 'different,' I think some will think different in a good way, some in not such a good way. I fall into the latter category. I would not wear this to the office or to school, but to each their own. Just for me, this has some notes that may be offensive to some with sensitive nose, allergies, asthma, etc.

For me, at times with this I detect a very heavy incense, at times a heavy smokiness, at other times a very powdery note, at other times a very woodiness to this, and still at other times a very musky note. Just....different. If you want a perfume that smells consistent, this may not be for you. For me, it smells like different notes pull through at different times, so I never know 'what' this might smell like.....

I am okay with a fragrance changing notes on the dry down, and the dry-down changing several times over the course of the day. But for me with this, there just is never any definitive accord at any moment, but yet always smells way different at different parts of the day. It is as if the notes and accords fight with each other as opposed to playing nicely together. Again, I do not know what this is supposed to smell like when, there are just so many unpleasant dry down notes that I can't even decipher as any specific accord, just a hot mess of unpleasant different conflicting scents.

And I know fragrances are so personal and subjective as far as the scent goes. My rating is not based on how well I like or do not like this (I am pretty neutral as far as that goes), but rather this for me does not really have much lasting power and it seems like it confuses itself with it's notes. Does it want to smell woody..? Does it want to smell rosy..? Does it want to smell smoky..? Does it want to smell flowery..? Does it want to smell incense..? Does it want to smell very extremely powdery..? The notes and everything just seem to try to duke it out as to what will note prevail, and at different times, different notes are far more prevalent than others with this. Which even that I can be okay with, but these notes just seem to "fight" with one another as opposed to playing nicely together.....

To me, this is definitely a 'unique' perfume, I do not dislike it, but I would not repurchase. The bottle shape is also different and unique. The bottle looks prettier in pictures online than in person. In person it basically is a concave glass bottle. Meh, meh, meh, all-around for me with this one.

Flower Essentielle is one case where to me a flanker is more interesting than the original one, an improved version of it. If you found the original Kenzo Flower too soapy or maby a bit too thin and one-dimensional in character, then Essentielle has more of everything without it being too much (usually, I'm not a fan of the "intense"-versions). It has all the elements I missed in the original one. It has more flowers, more musk, more depth, more character. Soft, comforting, powdery, beautiful and fluffy. So far, it's the fluffiest fragrance that I know of.
Like the reviewer below said already 3 years ago (!), it is unbelievable there are now only 4 reviews of this unique fragrance.

Being a powdery fragrance fan I can't believe that there are only two other reviews on one of my favourite powder scents. I have to start by stressing that this is quite different from the original Flower which I don't really care for. Since I was unimpressed with Flower I did not bother to try any other Kenzos, yes, it's rather unfortunate. However, I got a sample of the essentielle in a swap and with more and more tries I finally broke down and got the biggest bottle there is available. Essentielle supposedly has incense which the original flower didn't i may be wrong but it IS soft, powdery, lovely and elegant. Good to know that this one is in permanent production unlike the other Flower flankers i.e. Oriental, winter flowers. One spray is just nice for day time while you can get away with two for the evenings. I have a few other powdery perfumes but for me this one is unique. It may be worthy to note that when compared side by side to Angelique noire they share the some powdery notes except that AN has more noire, more smokey or vanillic? Not too sure what it is as I am terrible with notes especially the listed ones always seemed very pretentious to me. AN is definitely more sophisticated but I like the ancient Japanese princess vibe this radiates. Basing on how agreeable my body chemistry is to this I will repurchase to make sure I don't run out of it. I highly recommend giving this a try to serve it justice.

You'd be so easy to love...

I don't mind a challenge or even a confrontation with my fragrances, this one is a different story.

I received a sample of this at Bloomingdales and just dropped it in my bag with everything else. Sometimes these sit in the back of the cupboard so long I end up tossing them unsniffed. For some reason I was compelled to try this one. (I'm thinking fate.) I sprayed it on and went about my evening. And then. I couldn't stop smelling myself. This is a beautiful, strong but delicate fragrance. It reminds me of a japanese watercolor with several washes and layers. It is a very pleasing scent, I can't imagine it being out of place anywhere.

Wonderful stuff!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

"A new fragrance, the essence of Flowerbykenzo. Rosa damascena, jasmine, vanilla, incense, musks."

This EDP is a light, warm, musky, powdery floral that smells really comforting. (No fruity-florals this time) It is relatively strong and the lasting powder is decent (for a non-oriental perfume) It warms on the skin very nicely and is altogether a quiet, subdued scent. This perfume feels so luxurious, warm and expensive.

Popular Fragrances