Chanel Chance

Chanel Chance
Chance

3.8

on 10/23/2006 11:09:00 PM

I think this gave me a headache twice, so I don't think it's for me. Also, my cat would not sleep with me the last time I wore it. She settled into her place, looked around, smelled me, and left the room. LOL

on 2/28/2013 6:53:00 PM

Chanel chance edp...distinctive, sophisticated, a cut above the rest. For a couple of years I was pretty close to buying this fragrance but it didn't seem financially sound to buy the small bottle when I could get the biggest bottle for an extra 40 dollars or so. So I had to wait for the cash for the biggest bottle of course. I first bought chanel chance eau fraiche and knew original chance would eventually be part of my perfume arsenal. Finally it is mine all mine--i orded my bottle from chanel.com and for some reason I didn't have to pay tax--saving about 15 dollars it also came with a black drawstring chanel.com logo pouch and a couple of chanel samples. On to the fragrance--i am sure others have described in detail what this smells like on here and fragrantica so I won't do that. I will tell you how this is different. I am a perfume fanatic--often doing my 'research' on fragrance boards, blogs etc. to see what others have to say about a fragrance. I then become entranced by the fragrance by sampling and reading how great a fragrance is. Then I will buy the fragrance--ebay, ulta, sephora, fragrance net, amazon, etc. Waiting, waiting, waiting for my fragrance to arrive--checking my phone to look up where my fragrance is in the transit process--like a true addict--until finally I get home and see that package on my doorstep. Palms sweaty, heart beating quickly--true love or lust anyway--i open the package--and think--mine, finally mine all mine. Then I will wear a fragrance for a few days and add it to the arsenal and on to the next...reasearch, order, ope, wear..on to the next. Sure it will get play in my rotation but I move on to my next obsession. Chance is different--the other day I took ALL of my perfumes out and said--this is ridiculous! I need to stop 'stalking' these fragrances and actually use them. I have probably 60 bottles or more. So I took the night to smell them all again--some were sweet, youthful some were spicy, some heavy, some light...you get the picture. At the end of the night I came to one conclusion--during the past 2 years Chance edp is the best fragrance I have purchased. It is like your best friend that never lets you down--a friendship that lasts--she isn't too loud--you can take her anywhere day or night, she says the right things, acts appropriately in any given situation--she is a class act. Not too youthful, not too mature, not too spicy, not too sweet--she lasts throughout the day and night. You always have fun when you 'hang out' with her--you can count on her. This is the rare fragrance that you can wear to work interview, board meeting, hanging out at a baseball game in a tshirt and out to an elegant dinner or wedding (even on your wedding day!)and never feel out of place. Fall, winter, spring, summer--she is there for you. This fragrance becomes you. 3 spritzes and I am good for the day--i get compliments from women asking me to write the name down for them--my guy doesn't complain when I wear it--which doesn't sound like a big deal--but sometimes he makes remarks that aren't positive with some of my other perfumes. This is one that can become a signature...one your kids will remember you wearing when would get ready for a big night out or the one you put on before going to work in the mornings. I know it is pricey but a few spritzes last and the drydown is clean (while still being interesting) and sophisticated. I might spray one more spritz on my lunchbreak for a touch up. I imagine a french woman wearing this--fitted black blazer over a simple white tank, skinny jeans and kitten heels or maybe tall michael kors style boots (in a camel color) and a beautiful scarf, simple pearl earrings, sheer makeup, naturally styled hair and of course a couple of spritzes of chance edp! Take a 'chance' on chance--if you end up not liking it you can take it back to sephora, ulta, etc. Chanel.com even sends you a return shipping label and with your online order--knowing perfecly well you won't be sending it back. :) When all is said and done maybe my chase is over...maybe I have found my true signature??? Hmmm...maybe I will start looking up reviews on the Chance body lotion? Might need to stop by the mall to try out the lotion! Lol the chase never ends...that's life I suppose! (PS sorry for typos--i typed this up quickly on my phone in my car--when I was supposed to be at my desk working, instead of on this site! Lol). Happy sniffing! Enjoy life and always take a CHANCE!

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I own the "Parfum" version of this. When I bought it I felt SO PICKPOCKETED!!!! It was $100 for a quarter of an ounce. Yeah. The bottle is itty-bitty.

BUT

It's perfume, not the watered down "eau de..." or cologne fromulas so a little goes a very VERY long long long way....literally, I only dab this on my pulse points and it lasts all day.

I dries down differently on my when I don't rub it it. Just spray and leave...don't rub wrists together, don't smooth it in with the hands: it will bruise the scent and give you a funny dry-down.

This works well with my natural chemistry and it dries down subtly, but stays TRUE. I love that.

The bottle is everything you'd expect from a Chanel Parfum: It's crystal, with a stopper and a tiny metal authenticity plate with Chanel's Paris address engraved onto it, along with authentication serial numbers. Very elegant, very luxurious.

This is my signature fragrance.

For those who are overwhelmed or given headaches: It's the Citron in this perfume that probably bugs you....in fact, the Sicilian strain of this fruit is where they get the oil for "Citronella" candles which repel insects (and give some people nausea and headaches)

The Ciron in this formula, combined with hyacinth, gives the scent its fresh, youthful topnote amber of Patchouli and Jasmine give the fragrance its spicy warmth and sensuality.

The combo gives this scent a tendency to "evolve" from fresh and bright to sophisticated and sexy.....very very very pretty if it works with your chemistry.

It's your classic, romantic fragrance that will make someone remember you forever. When you imagine fragrances that a might be sprayed on a love letter, old fashioned style...THIS is that perfume....

on 6/26/2008 11:51:00 AM

Chanel's Chance along with Allure is a departure from the traditional fragrance philosophy of the House of Chanel.

To describe Chance in layman's terms: It smells very much like Mugler's Angel without the heavy cumin base-- and it is much cleaner smelling and more sparkly. Most definitely marketed to the younger generation in that it is an effervescent, very sweet scented fragrance. The sweet notes die down after about 2 hours though. People who like Thierry Mugler's Angel but hate the B.O notes from the cumin drydown should give Chance a try-- they will probably like it a lot.

That being said, Chanel's Chance is surprisingly generic smelling. There are zillions of fragrances that smell very similar to this. I just returned from a local perfume bucket shop-- I can attest to the 101 perfumes that are following the same formulaic recipe-- light, fruity, floral-citrusy scents geared to the 'tween' market. Although Chance is not a bad smelling fragrance, I am disappointed that Chanel sold out. I expected better from the House of Chanel which has always been a pioneer in style rather than a lemming. Certain things one simply should not do...

I am not really big on this scent since I really dislike "sweet" smelling perfumes but I can see that this would be a really popular fragrance for the younger crowd. A perfume set of Chanel's Chance might be a nice present for a sweet 16 birthday gift or a H.S./college graduation present. I can see that my cousins in the 15-26 age range would go completely ga-ga over this stuff.

Women who typically shop department store fragrances may find this fragrance somewhat nicer and more classy than what is generally available on cosmetic counters in your average department store (e.g. Estee Lauder, Lancome etc). Women who are into more esoteric fragrances (Lutens, Etro, Creed, L'artisans etc., etc..) will definitely dismiss Chance as a money-making ploy to rack up sales.

At the end of the day, one's opinion of Chance really boils down to how much of a fragrance snob one is.

Chance, oh how I love thee. I was 19 years old when I found you, you were my first ever Chanel experience, yet you remain one of my absolute favorites. You're not nearly as heavy as No. 5, yet you're far more zesty than Coco Mademoiselle.

Now that I'm 30, I find that I've just now come to realize how much I appreciate you and all your spicy characteristics. Your pepper alone makes me feel fiery and alive. You have a slight oriental vibe that could, early on, be mistaken as masculine, but that soon softens into pure sophistication.

You're mature and elegant, and you make me feel the same. One spritz in my hair and you last for 48 hours. I can still smell you on my pillow. I don't care if anyone around me has an aversion to you, not that I've *ever* experienced that - quite the opposite. Men adore you and women are jealous of you. You will forever be a staple in my perfume collection.

on 5/1/2013 8:27:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Tested it numerous times. Ok, if one is a fan of CHANEL - it is a must, because you've got to have something that could be somewhat of a bridge between the "pearls and cardigan" nr.5, the "man's shirt, horn glasses and a ruler in the hand" nr. 19 and a "smoky eyes and glitter dress" MMLLE. This is a daytime or cocktail-hour perfume, a strong and sharp floral with a fairly decent staying power ( a miracle on my skin ), but one has to wait a good hour before the last chemical evaporates and it starts sounding more nature-derived, so to speak. It's great for working in friendly environment, in media or any creative branch - it is 100% feminine but wouldn't cave in under pressure and definitely would bend over backwards for anyone. If I could afford it, I would use it as my office perfume in march - june and sept-oct.: for summer months, if it gets really warm, this, I suspect, can bloom too much into other people's faces ( not proven, just a worry ). A brunch with the girls somewhere upscale and in a "to watch and be watched" environment is also an ideal setting for chance. Dating is another ( I am married, so it's a retrospective observation :) ) Try it, but be patient: the initial chemical burst does dissipate eventually. Just spray and forget about it for an hour or so. I give this one a 3, because originality is not among the ingredients, one has to spend a lot of time with one's nose turned elsewhere before it blooms and the price is not justified ( at least one can never confuse nr 5, coco or 19 with anything out there ) - it is not recognizable and therefore not suitable for a "character" perfume that is worth its bucks.

on 2/24/2015 1:12:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I was given a bottle of Chance by my cousin on a snowy day in Boston at the Oyster bar when she was visiting and it will always be associated with that day for me. I had never owned a Chanel perfume before and was excited and intrigued. When I first sprayed it on, I thought it was way too domineering for me, but as I tried it again and again I realized there was something magnetic about it that kept me coming back. It is my cold-weather perfume, and when I want to feel sophisticated and professional, this is what I spray on. I love the crisp notes of pepper and spice biting into the cold winter air, and the warmth of the patchouli base. It is an oriental fragrance, exotic and yet tasteful. Years later, I have finished about a third of the bottle, which is remarkable for me. I now own a bottle of No. 5, but I find Chance easier to wear on a more casual day. I always think of Chance as my trench coat perfume - chic and put together with good tailoring. The scent lasts quite a few hours although a spritz doesn't last all day on me. If I ever finish the bottle my cousin gave me, which has followed me to three different continents now, I will probably buy myself a second bottle.

PS. One minor quibble: The metal band around my glass bottle has started to tarnish, which I was rather sad about. I expected better packaging from Chanel given how pricey the perfume is.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I am fortunate enough to have friends that give me expensive presents, this being one of them. I probably would never buy Chanel for myself (well, not now, as a cheap university student, anyway). I'm only 20 and at first sniff, I felt like this perfume was too mature for me. Since spraying it on, however, I feel like it compliments extremely well with my body chemistry and it now smells light, airy, sweet, and feminine. I feel very regal when I wear this. Very long-lasting, too! One spritz for my wrists and ears and another spritz for my chest and I'm set for the entire day.

Eyes: Violet

This is a HORRIBLE fragrance that announces its presence on anyone who wears it, and is absolutely unavoidable.

It's an odd musky, sweet smell - like rotting meat covered by jasmine and patchouli... and it lingers and lingers. And that's the kindest way I can describe it. A dead, rotting animal covered by something really sickeningly sweet to cover the stench is more accurate. Granted, I have an aversion to patchouli in the first place (as well as to more than just a hint of jasmine), but I am far from the only one.

I've never seen a fragrance cause this much offense since Giorgio in the 80's. I'm just thankful it's not as omnipresent as it was when it first came out.

I hate to be so negative, but the smell of this literally makes me sick. Please stop wearing it. The rest of us can't breathe. (kidding... but not by much)

on 12/13/2011 11:22:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

#872 review on Chance.The Citron in this formula, combined with hyacinth, gives the scent its fresh, youthful top note amber of Patchouli and Jasmine give the fragrance its spicy warmth and sensuality.The combo gives this scent a tendency to "evolve" from fresh and bright to sophisticated and sexy.....very very nice and pretty if it works with your chemistry. This scent doesn't get much love because I'm guessing since it's not extremely complex, but I can see why it's popular. It's not ground-breaking, but it strikes a neat balance between clean/sweet, crisp/soft, sexy/professional, dressy/casual. Everyone's nose and chemistry is different and so are their opinions. It's one of those fragrances that women of all ages can wear, making them smell modern, classy, and sexy all at once. It's not one of those intense and overwhelming old ladyish smells. I know alot of perfume inthuseniast find this to plain. I would rather smell crisp and clean then someone trying to smell so complex but everyone holds their nose around them. Ohhh,and men LOVE this btw. When I wear this I feel uplifted. This makes me like this since this does something for my spirits and mood which also effects those around me as well which could impact my day like a domino effect.This matters to me more then seeking something extremly complex.

Popular Fragrances