E.L.F. Mineral Infused Face Primer

E.L.F. Mineral Infused Face Primer
Mineral Infused Face PrimerEnter TitleEnter TitleMineral Infused Face Primer

3.5

0.47 fl.oz./14mLCyclopentasiloxane, Cyclohexasiloxane, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethicone,Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Silica, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, PhenoxyethanolMay Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Red 40 Lake (CI 16035), Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090), Ultramarines (CI 77007), Chromium Oxide Greens (CI 77288), Tin Oxide (CI 77861)

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is a VERY siliconey primer and sadly for me, not one that suits my skin type (combo/hyper-sensitive). I was worried about putting this on my face because of that reason, as I've had bad experiences with silicone-based primers in the past. And although nothing bad happened, nothing good did either.

I applied this mainly to my t-zone, as that's where I get the oiliest, with a little extra on my cheeks to help even things out. It applied very smoothly, but definitely had that classic silicone feel to it as it was going on. The best way I can describe it is like applying a layer of thick grease, which makes my skin feel like it can't 'breathe' properly. It's not a feeling I like particularly, as I always worry that it'll make me break out.

It didn't have any discernible scent to it, which I prefer. There was a slight 'something' to it, but I can't really put my finger on exactly what. It wasn't offensive though and didn't seem to linger after application, so I guess that's one thing in its favour.

I can't say this either helped or hindered my makeup application; I certainly didn't notice any profound changes either way. As for helping to even out pores and fine lines, it did neither. As the day wore on, I definitely noticed that my skin was feeling A LOT greasier than usual and the foundation on my forehead and chin went patchy after about 4 hours, which is something I don't usually experience. So basically it didn't do any of the things E.L.F. claim on their website it's designed for - combat against excess oil, flaky dryness, enlarged pores and fine lines.

I got this as a sample with an online order I placed and I'm glad I did, as I definitely wouldn't pay out £12.50 for the full-sized version. I've yet to find my HG primer, but I can confidently say this isn't it.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

This felt really heavy on my face, even heavier than my foundation, and it made everything else go on cakey. I see no benefit whatsoever to this primer, and it's not even a good deal for the amount you get (don't be fooled by the packaging).

on 3/14/2017 1:42:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I received this as a sample and tried it this morning; I must say that I'm absolutely loving this item and will surely purchase it in my next ELF haul. The texture is perfectly silky and glides onto my pre-moisturised, combination skin perfectly. My BB cream looks flawless and it really looks as though I took a lot of time to get my face just right when it honestly took me a grand total of 5 minutes.
I usually use the Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer... not because it works great, but because it was bloody expensive and I don't want to waste it. Believe it or not, ELF just beat Smashbox and I think I've found my new HG primer!

on 3/14/2017 9:36:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

ETA again - I decided to go back and give this primer another try and see if my "oil" issue was from my moisturizer. This time I skipped my regular moisturizing routine and just sprayed my face with ELF's Mist and Set for some moisture before applying this primer and then my Tarte BB tinted moisturizer (amazonian clay). MUCH BETTER. It doesn't keep me completely matte, but I have found that this primer (even just worn alone) does a better job on my skin than if I have no primer. It blurs my pores which I love - and as of yet (4 days)- it still has not broken me out (still testing). I think it's the fact that Cyclopentasiloxane is the main ingredient vs. Dimethicone (as many other primers list as the first ingredient). Both are silicones, but Cyclopentasiloxane is a much more lightweight silicone and is volatile, which means it's so lightweight, that it can actually evaporate off your skin. This is a good thing for a first ingredient vs. dimethicone. Dimethicone is much more heavier of a silicone and can be one of the reasons why some people always break out from silicone primers. If you are having issues with your current primer, check the ingredients. I always thought I was allergic/sensitive to silicones, but I think it's only *heavy* silicones. You can tell immediately that this is a very lightweight silicone. The feeling of it on your skin disappears immediately, which is a GOOD thing.

Only other downside is the price for the .47 ounces at $6.00 (so $12 for .94 ounces) a bottle. But the NYX Photo Loving Primer (has the same lightweight silicone as main ingredient as this one) is 1.01 ounces for $12.99 (Target - and on sale for $9 currently!) so the price is really about the same. I'm thinking of trying the NYX just for the price/amount of product and squeeze bottle.

***Also - I edited the ingredients for this listing - they were incorrect. They must have updated the ingredients sometimes after 2011, because they are different now according to the ELF website. The ingredients in 2011 had Cyclomethicone as the main ingredient - and by 2013 - they had switched to the current Cyclopentasiloxane. I highly recommend trying this primer out if you had issues with this back in 2011/2012 before ELF updated the ingredients. Its a great, lightweight primer.

--------
ETA a week later: I tried this again all over my face (instead of just my forehead) - this is GREAT for the first hour (it blurred my skin, I looked 10 years younger and fresher) but by 9AM, I became a greasy mess. I have oily skin from topical BP treatment and I really want to find a primer that can help subdue my oiliness so I can wear concealer and tinted moisturizer/foundation. This is not it. Bummer. Pros: didn't break me out, no smells, very smooth.

---------------------------------

I just tried a sample of this primer out this morning (got a sample from ELF) and I was really excited to try it because I had been debating about trying a primer in my makeup routine, and the mineral primer was the most popular of all the ELF primers. I got the clear as a sample, which was the one I wanted to try.

I didn't find that it had any smell, and since I have super sensitive skin, I only applied a little to my forehead area to test it out - since that is also the area on my face that I have issues with for my makeup creasing, settling into a deep wrinkle in the middle of my forehead and powder tends to gather and dry out there.

The texture of this is amazing - it was like silk. It glided on nicely over my moisturizer, but I could tell right away there was a little bit of powdery "slip" to this - which looking at the ingredients - its the silica. Silica works fine on my face, but only as a powder to mattify my face. I applied this to my forehead - noticed it did dull/blur my forehead a bit, but once I went to put on my tinted moisturizer/concealer like I normally do (with a damp BB) I was disappointed to find that everything gathered in my wrinkles on my forehead (worse than normal, actually) and my forehead was looking dry already. I believe this is from the silca, which in powder form, can overdry out my skin.

Since my forehead is really the only place I have issues with makeup creasing - and this didn't work at all - I won't be using again, mostly because it didn't work at all for my wrinkles and I'm nervous about breaking out from a primer on my skin. I am going to see how it does throughout the day with keeping my forehead matte - but I noticed that about 10 minutes after finishing my face - my forehead looked shiny already, so I don't have high hopes. Glad I was able to try it as sample before buying.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

This is the first primer I ever got and I'm loving it since I started to use it. It is really soft and makes me look like I got this cool Snapchat filter on my face (I mean, I look flawless haha). It has made my make up stay longer on my face and keeps me a little bit more matt than usually.

on 1/4/2017 12:41:00 PM

This product is so bad! This is one on the first primer i've ever bought, and I was so excited to try it. I didn't know a lot about make up when I first bought this.

When I first opent it, I tried it in my hand and it felt so soft! But then I smelt it and it was horrible. It smells so chemical! I tried it on my face a couple of times and my skin started to break out so much that I just threw it away. There are a lot cheaper primers on the market that are doing a way better job

on 11/13/2016 8:05:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

It's horrible. It gave me cystic acne. And the cost was really high (arround $14). Never again!

on 10/28/2016 12:29:00 PM

On my combo skin, this works very well. Love the price point! Caution - you won't know you have run out of product until you do (unless you open the bottle) - good thing I had a spare bottle on hand since one morning, I pumped and NOTHING came out. Unscrewed the lid and the bottle was EMPTY, so you do get all product out through the pump, which is good, but be prepared w/ a back up or check your bottle occasionally.

I have used w/ liquid and powder foundation. It fills in any fine lines nicely and doesn't emphasize any small dry patches. No breakouts. No discernible smell for me. Not a super effective oil preventer, but only my nose gets a bit shiny mid day.

Does it prolong my MU? Unknown because I ALWAYS use a setting spray as my last step regardless of what products I have put on before.

Have already re-purchased.

02/22/17 update: The amount you get is very small (container is kind of a nesting thing - smaller bottle inside bigger bottle which is annoying, but I still will continue to repurchase.

on 10/21/2016 2:57:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I wanted to try this primer based on the fact that it had a rating of 2 on Think Dirty app. Much cleaner than my beloved Rimmel stay matte primer. Unfortunately, it made my face a little bit too oily. I have pretty oily skin, so I had high hopes that it could perform as well as my Rimmel primer, but it doesn't. May work for you. I have read reviews on here with people who have oily skin and works for them. It's probably a particular ingredient that my skin doesn't like and is reacting by creating more oil. For the next person, they may be totally fine. We are all unique. At such a cheap price, it doesn't hurt to try this primer. It feels like the Bare Minerals prime time primer. Very silky, but Bare Minerals keeps the oil away just a bit better than the Elf. I won't be buying this primer again.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I really like this primer. It is my favorite at its price point. It makes your skin matte looking, yet doesn't dry it out- it makes your scaly dry patches lay flat so makeup can glide smoothly over it. Also, it provides a layer so your foundation will not sink into your skin. It does its job nicely.