E.L.F. Mineral Infused Face Primer

E.L.F. Mineral Infused Face Primer
image 1image 2image 3image 4

3.5

Cyclomethicone, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Silica, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben.

on 6/18/2016 8:05:00 AM

On a budget? You can look into this primer.

I got the original primer - with no colour.

Background info: oily combo, slightly sensitive skin user, acne / blemish prone skin type. prefers wearing full faced makeup. living in sub tropical conditions - hot and humid most of the time, ranging 91.4°F on an average day.

Pros:
+ comes with a pump
+ does mattify the face
+ lightweight
+ easy to smooth out and blend
+ reduces appearance of pores
+ affordable price range
+ does not break me out

Cons:
- ingredients used: this is silicone based, however there are artificial vs natural kinds of silicone. artificial ones usually break me out. i have thrown away the box packaging so i'm not sure if its real silicone, but i HIGHLY doubt so since its so cheap.

- pump doesn't work as good after using it for some time.

Overall this primer is ok - it does do what it says. With this primer, dewy foundations that i use can last me about an average 6-8 hours with no touch ups. Doesn't break me out after using it for some time.

This is good enough for people who are really new / interested in makeup but on a budget. You pay for the price so don't expect it to be some revolutionary product.

However i do want to explore high end primers from other brands who have some kind of skin care added benefits. That doesn't mean i don't love the primer - it just falls into the "meh" range for me. So i wouldn't repurchase.

Hope this helps!

on 6/16/2016 11:16:00 PM

I bought this when I first started my makeup collection because i only had a sample of the Benefit Porefessional that i was obsessed with, but didnt want to use all of it. So i needed something to use every day, and i found this while waiting in line at a store i dont remember the name of.

It was so cheap that if i didnt like it, it wouldnt have mattered. Thats the good thing about E.L.F., that you wont feel like you have to return it because it didnt cost you that much... and half the time, you're not disappointed.

Not me, anyway. I can't say that i was disappointed with this product. It is a little too "silicone-y" for my liking, and makes my face feel cakey after a few hours, almost like my skin isn't breathing (I know some makeup doesnt allow your skin to breathe... but I dont want to FEEL it...)

Annnnnyway, it's definitely a go-to primer when I'm just playing around with my makeup, but if i know im going to be out for a while and not be able to touch up my foundation, I'll use a little better one. It's easy to use because of the pump which i looooove, and it spreads really nicely. I would probably buy again.

To Read all 391 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I bought this on a whim, and it didn't work well for me. The first time I used it, I put a Revlon foundation over it. I didn't even got to blend it out when I felt a really intense burning sensation on my skin. I quickly washed it off and my forehead and cheeks were red. That never happened before since I've used the Revlon Age Defying foundation a lot of times without using a primer, so I can pretty much say that this primer and the foundation weren't a good match, or it was just too much for my skin. I really was looking forward to it since I love other elf products and I liked how this was especially cheap.

This stuff is the best kept secret in cosmetics. The clear version of this (as titled in this review) is exactly the same as the basic Smashbox primer. I've used both and can't discern a difference. This is a silicone based clear primer that creates a nice smooth finish and allows foundation to slide on easily. It keeps my foundation from looking too dry. It doesn't break out my skin nor does it have any odor. I've bought it again and again. Each time I think I'll "treat myself" to the more expensive product, I can't rationalize the higher price. This one is $6 for 1/2 ounce which is a fraction of the Smashbox price (even if you buy the Smashbox through Costco). I'd prefer the packaging to be a tube -- this packaging is deceptive and it is hard to get the last of product out of the container.

on 5/2/2016 3:17:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Nice primer at an affordable price. Goes on silky, dries matte, blends in easily. I used this up until about a month ago til I switched to the ELF Poreless Primer, which is a better choice for middle aged skin (hides large pores around the nose, fine lines).

on 4/21/2016 7:15:00 PM

I bought this primer yesterday and I used it today for the first time. I cannot comment on longevity, breakouts, etc, but I will update in a month or so.

My first impression is! It's so soft, you can feel the silicone, but I love the way that feels against my face. My foundation has never gone on so smooth or sat on my face so beautifully! Im positive I can attribute this to the Elf primer, but I did just start using Garnier's Micellar Water in the pink bottle, though I'm not sure it could make my Fondation sit better. Lol. Lately I've been having trouble with my brows. I just can't get the application right and the Anastasia BH pomade doesn't attach to my skin, but it did today! I will use this forever and also try the poreless! I have Tarte's Clean Slate 12hr primer coming in, and I just might return it ;) xo

on 4/13/2016 1:13:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Got the Tone Adjusting Green version. Doesn't work in that aspect. I'm not sure if it's just because I prefer water based primers but I have a really hard time applying this stuff. Also I've noticed that it doesn't help my makeup last long at all. I tried it on foundations that I'd previously considered long-wearing and would get home after 8-9 hours and see everything had just slid off. In addition I think it may have broken me out. Started using it and a few days later I noticed my acne worsening. I stopped using it and about a week and a half later my skin looked much better. May have been another product I was using so will update on this. The thing that irks me the most though is the way the packaging totally lies to you. After less than a month I started having trouble pumping out product. Opened it up to find out that the color you see outside of the bottle is just for show, and that the actual product is like only 1/3 of the entire bottle ( 0.47 fl oz???). Sure I guess for the price that's reasonable but come on.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Didn't make my face break out, but I didn't like the way it made my skin feel. I will try other primers :(

on 2/21/2016 9:05:00 AM

Hair: Red, Other, Medium

This is a good basic bargain primer. It doesn't work miracles, but it does a good job of creating a canvas for foundation and keeping makeup from settling into pores.

Pros
- Very inexpensive.
- Packaged in a pump bottle for neat dispensing.
- Feels soft and glides on.
- Sets fairly quickly.
- A close dupe of Smashbox's primer.
- Works well under liquid or powder foundation.
- You only need a small amount to cover the whole face (less is definitely more here).
- Makeup looks almost flawless over this.

Cons
- A bit drying. It will cause flaking around my nose if I'm not careful even when my skin isn't especially dry.
- Can't see how much product is left in the bottle.
- I can't use this every day or it breaks me out. I only use it occasionally (no more than once a week), and that's been okay for me.

on 2/17/2016 1:29:00 AM

So i thought this product was a good deal for the price. It doesn't really work at all. And when i opened the container it was a small tiny bottle inside a big bottle. It has very little product in it. Very disappointed will never buy! It is very deceiving :/