Acne Treatment: Epiduo (USA) / TactuPump (Canada)

Acne Treatment: Epiduo (USA) / TactuPump (Canada)

adapalene (0.1%) and benzoyl peroxide (2.5%)

on 7/16/2016 2:26:00 PM

I've never loved an acne controlling product more than I love this one. My story started in 2012, when I started to suffer from tons of hormonal acne and had no idea how to control it. I went to the dermatologist, and they gave me antibiotics and this cream to use in conjunction together. It worked like a charm - but the effects didn't last beyond the round of oral medication. I used this daily over my spots. My skin got really dry and flaky when I first started, but over time it gets used to it.

I went on many other rounds of antibiotics after that (probably spanning a good 2 years, on and off), and results have been varied. Eventually, I saw no difference between my skin on or off medication, so I stopped. My only saving grace was this treatment. It works especially well when you see acne just starting to form, and helps to stop it in its tracks. If it's fully formed, it helps to heal the spot faster. It's also one of the only things that has ever helped my cystic acne.

4 years later, and I still rely on this to keep my skin clear. I now use it whenever I see something pop up - usually on my forehead or jawline - and use regular moisturizer on the rest of my face. I was afraid it might lose its potency over time, but it still does its job well. Would highly recommend anyone suffering from acne issues to try this!

on 5/29/2016 4:46:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

After struggling with acne for the past 5 years, I can safely say this is my saving grace.I got it on prescription and the pump lasted me for about 3 months. My skin is extremely sensitive and I had acne for about 5 years and had dark spots that refused to fade lol. I tried everything from tumeric, to aloe gel, to lemon, to diy face masks and nothing worked. A friend of mine, suggested I get Epiduo and it truly changed my life. I wash my face with black soap and apply a thin layer of Epiduo. it does sting when you start using it but gradually this stopped because I think my skin got used to it. It also makes your skin feel dry and flaky but I started using the Clean and Clear Advantage Spot Control Moisturiser and the dryness became more managabale. I did this twice daily and my acne completely disappeared. My dark spots have faded and I stopped wearing makeup because my clear skin gave me back my confidence. I recommend this acne treatment 100%.....

To Read all 237 Reviews, Login or Join

I have difficult skin to deal with. It's very sensitive, very oily, acne-prone, and sometime extremely dry. Some products will break me out in a rash, others in whiteheads or pustules. The dryness can be so extreme sometimes that my skin will flake right off my face like dandruff. I've never really had bad acne, but have had very persistent mild-moderate acne for about a decade.

My acne started on my nose and forehead, as pustules and cysts. I then as I got older I started getting them on my chin as well. I stopped getting cysts and my nose cleared up about a year later, but started breaking out on my cheeks instead, and broke out on my back off and on. I had tried benzyl peroxide and differin gels separately, but neither did anything for me on its own. The combination however, has completely cleared my skin!

I never experienced the initial purging phase that some describe. My skin felt very smooth after the first application (I experienced the same thing with differin), and my acne scars started to fade after a few days. Within less than a week my skin looked brighter. The only negative was that my skin went through a SUPER dry spell after using this for about 3 weeks (because of this product). I had to stop using it for a week so my skin could recover, which caused a few pimples, but they cleared up as soon as I was able to resume using this.

I have since found that I can control the drying effects by applying nivea soft cream to my dryer areas at night (for my oiler area - forehead - live clean's daily moisturizer works great), and tarte sunscreen during the day. Be aware that it's super important to wear sunscreen with this product, as the differin gel makes your skin more sensitive to sun damage.

Overall I would highly recommend this product as it is the only thing that has worked for me in over 10 years.

About 4 years ago, I was suffering from random massive cystic breakouts (I've struggled with acne all my life --12 years on Proactiv), and Clindoxyl, and later Benzaclin, did a fantastic job of completely clearing up my acne. I now have consistently 95% clear skin all of the time. My doctor recently transitioned me into the Tactu Pump for maintenance. Although I was anxious about switching to a lower dosage of benzyl peroxide, I was swayed by the prescription strength retinoid (I'm almost 40, yes acne is a life long commitment). The Tactu Pump is twice the cost of my Benzaclin ($150 retail) but my health plan covers almost all of it. So far, no transition pains. Because I was used to a higher dosage of benzyl peroxide, I didn't experience any redness or irritation. My skin was a bit dry after the first night, but otherwise I can go through my regular night time skin care routine as scheduled. After using this for 2 weeks, my skin is noticeably smoother and brighter. So far, no breakouts either from switching to a different acne treatment. The addition of the retinoid has been especially good for my keratosis pilaris (dry skin bumps).

on 3/25/2016 11:01:00 AM

I've been using Tactuo for about 2 years. I've struggled with oily skin and pimples since I was a teenager, but for some reason in my early 20's it started to get worse, like constantly breaking out with pimples everywhere, so my doctor prescribed me this. I have tried everything in the past. Proactive (did nothing except turned my eyebrows from brown to orange), salicylic acid washes and creams, Clearasil, Neutrogena, basically anything on the shelf with little to no results. Tactuo has been the only treatment that has cleared up most of my acne and kept new blemishes at bay. I still get pimples and go through the occasional week or two of a somewhat bad breakout, but my skin is still better than it was before. It has not cured my acne by any means, but it has cleared a lot of it and does a good job at preventing it compared to any other product I've used. My blackheads have worsened since using this product however. It does nothing to reduce or eliminate blackheads, whereas the salicylic acid products I find tend to work better on blackheads, and unfortunately you cannot use any other acne product while on this medication.

Now, on the downside, this product is extremely drying and irritative. You have to use the most gentle, moisturizing cleansers and lotions on your skin and keep it as hydrated as possible. Sometimes I need to take a night or two off from applying the Tactuo to allow my skin to rebound from the dryness. Sunlight, cold weather, and wind also aggravate the dryness, redness, and irritation caused by Tactuo, so make sure to avoid these triggers as much as possible and lotion your face like crazy. When I initially began using Tactuo, it was literally BURNING my skin. It was dry, red, scaly, and flaky. That phase passed after a few weeks as my skin adapted. Still, two years later, my skin still gets irritated and flaky with this product if you use too much product or use it every night. Use a very thin layer only. Also, EXFOLIATION is key. I have to exfoliate daily to slough off the dry, dead skin caused by this product or else makeup application is a nightmare.

Overall, this is a pretty decent product to combat acne and prevent breakouts. That quality alone makes the drying and irritating side effects worthwhile. I am considering discontinuing this product though and trying natural, homemade remedies instead, mainly because I am getting fed up with battling dry skin on a daily basis which is an issue that now overshadows the acne.

on 3/24/2016 10:36:00 PM

This product is amazing! I thought I had problems with benzyl peroxide, but the combination with the adaplene made my skin so smooth and clear! I must say however, that I didnt think it was doing anything for my skin for the first three months. But I switched to a different (all-natural) moisturizer and within a week my skin cleared up. My skin is loving the epiduo. I highly reccommend, if you can get it from your dermatologist, to give it a try!

good all in all

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

It works. Really is just benzoyl peroxide, so nothing special, but cleared up my skin nicely.

on 1/24/2016 8:44:00 PM

I've never left a review on a product before but I had to for this. I am currently 18 years old & I have been struggling with my skin since I was 13. My skin is normally super oily with dark spots from scarring, bumps everywhere, millions of blackheads, and the reoccurring white heads. I have tried every single product at the drug store & even the famous proactive. I was tired of feeling disappointment, depression, & hatred with my skin because nothing worked. I never left the house without makeup on because of how insecure I felt about my skin. I honestly was lost & gave up with my skin. Until I recently decided to talk with my family doctor.
My doctor prescribed TactuPump (Canadian) I am fortunate enough to have health care benefits so the product was financially covered. After doing my outside research I found this product is regularly $155. In my opinion, a little pricey but well worth it. I have been using this product for 10 days now, and it has been life changing. ONLY 10 DAYS! I have never had such clear skin. Almost all the small bumps are gone, my scarring is almost faded & white heads haven't been popping up as often. My parents, and friends have noticed the immense difference and tell me everyday. For the negatives, which aren't deal breakers, but this product is really irritative especially for sensitive skin. When I wake up in the morning I wash it off & my skin looks quite red. My doctor told me about this before-hand so it wasn't anything surprising. It also makes my skin very flaky & my skin peels as if I got a sun burn. I have never applied so much moisturizer in my life!! Also, when I wear a thin layer of foundation it tends to cling to those dry areas so probably don't recommend wearing makeup (which is a good thing!) I am so so so impressed with this product so far & I have never used something so effective. I am truly grateful I found this product & I recommend it for anyone struggling with their acne. I hope this helps girls like me, gain the confidence they deserve! Thanks for reading.

on 1/23/2016 3:43:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I have been using this for years, and it's honestly the only thing that holds back my acne. Even though it's expensive, it's worth it.