E.L.F. Essential Eyelid Primer - Sheer

E.L.F. Essential Eyelid Primer - Sheer

3.9

Price: $

Price: $

Cyclopentasiloxane, Octyl Palmitate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Dimethicone, Kaolin, Triacontanyl PVP, Propylene Carbonate, Titanium Dioxide, Barium Sulfate, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Mica (CI 77019).

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This eye primer is pretty good for the price. I don't think you get a ton of product, but it is an inexpensive option that works well. I don't have super oily lids, but my eyes are hooded so a lot of shadows either don't last or crease on me. The package is pretty standard, but it seems like a lot of product might get thrown out due to the wand.

on 3/17/2017 8:20:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

The product itself is great but they messed up in packaging it. The bottle is too tight and not much can be extracted. Fortunately, no eye allergy and my eye makeup stayed intact. Actually comparing this with my beloved MAC Painterly, this did a better job. The price is awesome but if you cannot get much out of the bottle, it does lose at least a lippie.

on 3/16/2017 12:43:00 AM

I love this! The sheer has a smooth finish and helps makeup apply more consistently. I do not have oily eyelids and it helps shimmery eyeshadow last 10 hours. The price, at $3 Canadian, is unreal. I am not a fan of the applicator, and it is a small bottle, but I am not complaining. I found other primers had too thick of a consistency.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I haven't always been able to wear this. For example, when I had really oily eyelids, this couldn't hang. But now that I'm on a retinoid and my skin is not quite as oily, this works just fine! My lids continue to stay in the same condition as if I had just applied!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

This product made me really sad because it worked for everyone else, but it just didn't work for me. I saw a lot of people raving about it so I decided to try it out. For some odd reason, it makes the eyeshadow crease on me. I have oily lids, but I didn't think it would do this to me. I really wish it would've worked for me!

First of all, this product does not seem to work very well at all. It has a great texture and goes on great, but does not seem to do the job. My eye shadow ends up looking greasy and creased by the end of the day. Another thing that I do not like about this primer is that the applicator brush separates from the lid when I pull it out of the tube.

on 1/20/2017 4:10:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

This does what it says on the tin, making eyeshadow last all day without fading or creasing. Its easily as good as UD and TF but a fraction of the cost. I think the HE make up companies are going to have to start changing their game as these drug store products are just as good.

on 12/19/2016 12:40:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I have an old bottle of UD primer potion and haven't used it in years, but since it's old, I decided to buy something fresh (and non-expired?) and grabbed this because it was the only primer I could find at Walmart that was in stock, and it was cheap. I made the mistake of buying the "pearl" color of this - DONT DO IT. It was like white out on my lids. That went in the trash.

This creates a great base for my shadows, but it does not last all day for me. By the end of the day (4:30pm) my dark shadow is creasing and stuck above my lids. If I'm wearing a neutral tone - you can't even tell that I'm wearing anything on my eyes by the end of the day. I used UD's to compare - and ELF just doesn't cut it. I wear a lot of smokey browns, so I need something with staying powder and no creasing. UD's does so much better. I'd like to try some other drugstore brands - like Wet n' Wild (heard it was super rough) and then Milani.

EDIT: I did try this with some other eyeshadows, and it seemed to not crease, so some of my creasing issues may have been from crappy eyeshadow. However, I have used Hard Candy's eye primer and prefer that big time.

EDIT (2): I do use this on lazy days when I know I'm going to wear a pretty simple/neutral eye - which is a lot because I like warm neutral eye looks - and I must say that I updated my review to 4 lippies and would repurchase. It's so smooth and so cheap - I think that this is one I will keep on hand to wear just because it is so smooth and cheap. My Hard Candy is my favorite (until I try Milani and NYX to compare) but it is pricer than this one and doesn't have the nice applicator.

on 12/18/2016 11:40:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I have oily eye lids like VERY OILY eye lids it's Cheap but it did not last at least 5 hours I used it for school and at the end of the day it was very oily and creases on my eye makeup. would not really suggest to people with oily eye lids

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

It works. It's cheap.

On to the details.

I tried a few primers before finding this one. Short version: none of them worked.

I have oily eyelids and hooded eyes and within a couple of hours all the shadow would be in my crease. I gave up eyeshadow for awhile. What was the point?

Enter ELF.

I put a few dabs/stripes of this on and smear it around with my finger. It lightens up my lid (naturally quite pigmented), and stops creasing all day!

By the end I the day I have some mild creasing (more on one lid than the other), but I can just blend to out with my finger, my eyeshadow never disappears entirely into my crease. It's fantastic!

I don't know what I may be missing with $26 primers, but I don't really care. There's no way I can pay that much, an this stuff works just fine. I stock up during 50% off sales.

I recommend this to everyone. I'm glad my teenage daughter (also oily kids and quite hooded) has had this primer since the beginning. It makes eyeshadow so much less frustrating.