E.L.F. Essential Eyelid Primer - Sheer

E.L.F. Essential Eyelid Primer - Sheer

3.9

Price: $

Price: $

Cyclopentasiloxane, Octyl Palmitate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Dimethicone, Kaolin, Triacontanyl PVP, Propylene Carbonate, Titanium Dioxide, Barium Sulfate, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Mica (CI 77019).

First of all, this product does not seem to work very well at all. It has a great texture and goes on great, but does not seem to do the job. My eye shadow ends up looking greasy and creased by the end of the day. Another thing that I do not like about this primer is that the applicator brush separates from the lid when I pull it out of the tube.

on 1/20/2017 4:10:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

This does what it says on the tin, making eyeshadow last all day without fading or creasing. Its easily as good as UD and TF but a fraction of the cost. I think the HE make up companies are going to have to start changing their game as these drug store products are just as good.

on 12/19/2016 12:40:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I have an old bottle of UD primer potion and haven't used it in years, but since it's old, I decided to buy something fresh (and non-expired?) and grabbed this because it was the only primer I could find at Walmart that was in stock, and it was cheap. I made the mistake of buying the "pearl" color of this - DONT DO IT. It was like white out on my lids. That went in the trash.

This creates a great base for my shadows, but it does not last all day for me. By the end of the day (4:30pm) my dark shadow is creasing and stuck above my lids. If I'm wearing a neutral tone - you can't even tell that I'm wearing anything on my eyes by the end of the day. I used UD's to compare - and ELF just doesn't cut it. I wear a lot of smokey browns, so I need something with staying powder and no creasing. UD's does so much better. I'd like to try some other drugstore brands - like Wet n' Wild (heard it was super rough) and then Milani.

EDIT: I did try this with some other eyeshadows, and it seemed to not crease, so some of my creasing issues may have been from crappy eyeshadow. However, I have used Hard Candy's eye primer and prefer that big time.

EDIT (2): I do use this on lazy days when I know I'm going to wear a pretty simple/neutral eye - which is a lot because I like warm neutral eye looks - and I must say that I updated my review to 4 lippies and would repurchase. It's so smooth and so cheap - I think that this is one I will keep on hand to wear just because it is so smooth and cheap. My Hard Candy is my favorite (until I try Milani and NYX to compare) but it is pricer than this one and doesn't have the nice applicator.

on 12/18/2016 11:40:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I have oily eye lids like VERY OILY eye lids it's Cheap but it did not last at least 5 hours I used it for school and at the end of the day it was very oily and creases on my eye makeup. would not really suggest to people with oily eye lids

It works. It's cheap.

On to the details.

I tried a few primers before finding this one. Short version: none of them worked.

I have oily eyelids and hooded eyes and within a couple of hours all the shadow would be in my crease. I gave up eyeshadow for awhile. What was the point?

Enter ELF.

I put a few dabs/stripes of this on and smear it around with my finger. It lightens up my lid (naturally quite pigmented), and stops creasing all day!

By the end I the day I have some mild creasing (more on one lid than the other), but I can just blend to out with my finger, my eyeshadow never disappears entirely into my crease. It's fantastic!

I don't know what I may be missing with $26 primers, but I don't really care. There's no way I can pay that much, an this stuff works just fine. I stock up during 50% off sales.

I recommend this to everyone. I'm glad my teenage daughter (also oily kids and quite hooded) has had this primer since the beginning. It makes eyeshadow so much less frustrating.

on 11/9/2016 6:19:00 AM

I'm very satisfied with this product. Consistency & texture are just as they should be - not too liquid, not too dense. Really helps to create a good base for the eye shadow. It's a great product for a very low price.

Definitely great for the price paid!

I guess wet and wild discontinued theirs and I've been waiting for avon's to go on sale, so thought I'd try this in the mean time.

It works well. Better then a few others I've paid more for. It's not my favorite primer, but it's decent. I would purchase again.

on 10/31/2016 3:47:00 PM

This was the first eye primer that I've bought and tried, and my overall impression was pretty positive. I bought it because I used to wear eye shadow without primer, and I would notice significant creasing and smudging occur after only a couple hours of wear. I don't wear eye shadow very often, but for Halloween I was wearing a lot of makeup and wanted it to last through the night. ELF's primer was cheap and had decent reviews on here, so I decided it was low-risk enough to give it a shot.

I was pleased with the results. My eyelids can be a little dark and sometimes very veiny. As soon as I blended some of the primer over my lids my eyes looked brighter and smoother. I could probably just wear the primer by itself and look fresh! My shadow, though admittedly not high quality, was able to layer on with multiple shades without clumping or flaking, and lasted a long time without creasing. The wand is easy to use: I just did a few dabs on my lids and smoothed the product over my entire lid with the tip of my finger. My only gripe with this product would be the packaging. It is not very sturdy, and every time I pull the wand out I can tell it is very cheap plastic. However, as long as the product does the job, I am happy! Would definitely recommend this eyelid primer to casual eye shadow users.

on 10/21/2016 2:16:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I bought this product when I couldn't find Wet n Wild in any of the stores I tried and hated it. I think it's mostly a problem with packaging: I don't want to a wet goopy product to my eyes with a wand, so it's annoying to swipe it on my finger and then to my lid. The cap also separated from the wand within a month of use, and overall the product lives up to its cheap price. I wouldn't repurchase and think that Wet n Wild's primer works much better.

on 10/7/2016 8:58:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I bought this product in a pinch. I was hoping I would like it, but it doesn't really help my eye shadow last any longer. I wouldn't recommend this product.