Make Up For Ever 12 Flash Color Case

Make Up For Ever 12 Flash Color Case

3.3

A lot of the reviewers here seem confused about what this product actually is and how to use it and so have given low ratings.
This is grease paint. Grease paint is oil based (and thus greasy!) and requires to be set with a powder if it is to stay put. If it's not properly set it will melt in warm conditions, it will crease, it will slide off. Using a regular make-up primer will not be much help if you are not powdering over the top as they are not designed for grease paints.
Grease paint was never meant to be used for every day make-up it was designed for the stage and has a very interesting history.

Packaging on this is perfect for my kit; light and unfussy, easy to open. Colours can be mixed to create many more colours. Perfect for editorial and avant garde looks, useful for stage & effects when mixed.

I've put wouldn't buy again mainly because there is a very cheap dupe available and I want to try that out. I also prefer Kryolan Supracolour as this is available in a wider selection of palettes and pre-mixed shades.

on 2/25/2015 4:24:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Cool

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse

I have to assume that this palette is for the "true" MUA and not the "civilian" makeup wearer because this thing did NOT work for me! Because this is a cream, the colors are easy to blend and I did see a MUA on YouTube use her flash palette to make a foundation which is f'ing awesome, but I couldn't even come close to doing this. *sad face*

The colors crease. A lot. I guess primer would work but I don't have the time in the mornings for such foolishness!

I got this as a gift, but sadly I had to return as I just could do nothing with it. But like I said, if you're "artist" at the expert level, I'm sure you can do amazing things. But for "noobs" like me, no can do.

Back to Sephora it went.

To Read all 13 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I would love to like this but the price isn't worth it. My cons are I can't use it as an eyeshadow, because it melts away in 30 minutes, it creases in 30 minutes, i can't use it as a lipstick, and i am not a fan of its packaging. I mainly use this for concealing, blushing, and eyebrow shaping. I don't use the silver, and gold mainly, because it is for the eyes and using it in other places is too glittery for any other application besides as an eyeshadow. I wasted a lot of money on this and will not buy this ever again!

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Coarse

I really like this product. I once needed concealer for under eye circles while in the car and didn't want to use my NYX conc I had my flash color case in my makeup bag. I just begin to blend the brown, yellow, a bit of white, and the coral and voila! Lol the best.

Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

I heard so many great reviews saying it was a "must-have" for makeup artists, so needless to say i was very excited to own it. I must say that i am only slightly impressed with this product. I didn't know that certain colors can only be used on certain parts of the face, if i had used the wrong thing on a client it could have been a disaster! Also, the colors crease even with a primer, so I always apply a powder eyeshadow on top. The possibilities are endless but for $100, I expected much more and am a bit dissapointed.

on 11/6/2011 7:00:00 PM

I absolutely love this palette. I gave it a 4 star because it can crease and it's not water proof. It would be super if it was water proof as well. But I do mix it with a aqua cream base and I find that makes it less creasing and lasts longer. I also set it with the HD powder. I use it for so so many things. I particularly love it as blush bases. It makes my cheeks glow all day with just one dab of my powder blush over it. The very first color I mixed was the dupe of Nars Orgasm and it was to the T!! Love it. Now if they can make it water proof like the aqua cream then this palette would be the best invention ever. I would buy it again but I don't think I will ever need to since it will prob lasts me a life time. Although I can see the white being used up faster then any other colors. It is on the pricier side, but if you think of all the uses for it, then it's a great deal!

on 9/11/2011 12:44:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

These colors are really pretty cool, but my biggest complaint is that they can't be used on all parts of the face. Some can't be used on lips, others can't be used on eyes. If I were applying it to myself, I don't think I'd care since I have no allergies and my skin wouldn't break out. Unfortunately, I apply makeup to OTHER people and I have to take their safety into account. Given that, it's just not as useful of a palette as it looked like it would be at the store and I'm considering returning it.

Also, on a moderately hot day (85 degrees) I found that the palette has "sweat" some of the oils/moisture out which then beaded on top of the product while being transported in the car. I had to wonder if the product would last very long (can't say either way, just an observation at this point).

on 3/23/2011 4:59:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

i really like this palette, it's definitely fun, but i'm not using it for everyday make up. more day of the dead, lady gaga, kiss type stuff. it creases in the eye area even with primer, & it didn't seem to dry, so i'd be nervous wearing this on a normal day. it washes off fairly easily with dove soap & with the colors they give you, you can basically mix them into anything. i understand the issue with safety, i've used all the colors everywhere & haven't had a problem, but it's worrisome if i want to use it on someone else.

on 3/21/2011 4:47:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

This palette really caught my eye at the Make Up Show LA in 2010... plus I got my extra discount, so I was pretty much set on buying it because I love grease paints, I love mixing and all of the colors. I mean the primary colors were in it, so that alone, would of been worth it for the dollars I've paid.
For it's retail price, I think I would have to test them out to really drop almost $100 on it...

I do love this palette though but I do agree, depending on the primer you use, it may crease. You must apply with your fingers, because if you apply this with a brush, it's gonna take foreverrrrrrrrrr and you're gonna end up using your fingers anyways! I use the Smashbox lid primer, then the Benefit's erase paste because it's more sticky. I found that it works really well together. Maybe that's too much for some people, but the color pay off it really nice.

I'm gonna really love this palette as life goes on because it's gonna last seriously forever and this is the main reason why I think it's worth buying.

Not to step on anybody's toes, but on Sephora's website it does add the description of what colors could be used on the eyes, and which ones for the lips. It's under the precautions, instead of the item description... where I think they should have let it be more known.. so I do agree that they should of put it out there a little bolder for people to see.

I also agree that the packaging should have had some kind of security of being brand new... because it's just a lid on top of the Flash Case... who knows what happened in there. Sanitary purposes, MUFE!

I wanted to love this product sooooooo bad. And playing with the colors initailly I did. But I have played with it for months as eye shadow bases, or mix with loose pigments to add and enhance the colors. I can't say I like it at all, the color wears off almost immediately and creases, it is horrid. Though my investment of $95 is still out there so I will continue to play with it until I get it right. I will edit my review once I figure out how to make this work for me.